newbie spots

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Voostra

newbie spots

Post by Voostra »

Soo.. I guess the general consensus is that I view is the best spot for us new guys to practice body dragging etc. - only problem I see is that wind there seems to be somewhat more elusive than other places.

That being said, what's the next best place for afternoon sessions (i.e. not nitnat), I'd guess Kook is out, how is Gordons for beginners. Esquimalt lagoon? What say the pros?

Thanks,
Evan
colin

Post by colin »

gordos has lots of downwind room for you
kite+waves=!
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

body dragging

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Hey Voostra - Esquimalt is a pretty dangerous place to learn to kite. If you go there, make sure it is a South west wind - not a west wind. the west wind comes over the shore and you end up with crazy eddies, and random blasts of wind that you can't even see on the water. When I lived there I used to watch people get gently dragged then suddenly picked up 10 feet out of the water then dumped back in, and the kite shoots up with the gust then just plummets out of the sky and crashes. You are pulled away from the beach too. Many many kiters have been rescued by the Coast Guard there. South west comes over the water - but is rare compared to the west thermals. That said - Island View is the very best that I know of. Gordon's can be ok too I think. You might want to try to talk to Martin via this site when you are thinking of heading out here. He seems to have the place figured out for kiting. I might be able to advise too if you want to give me a call - I kite sometimes here. e-mail me at for my # if you want to call before a big drive.
curses - foiled again!
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Gordons, sure!

If you like to see you kite on a tree or fence, or pay prop damage.

Not a good spot for newbies at all. I've seen even experienced kiters having troubles there. The wind if fluky at the beach and the beach is only 5 meters wide if so. With lots of obsticles right next to it.
Cancer must die!
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Hey Russki Dude :shock: There are times when it is ok to learn at Gordos - you just need to check with someone a little experienced to see if it is too strong to go out to avoid those incidents that you mention. It is waaay better than Esquimalt - that's for sure.
curses - foiled again!
Voostra

Post by Voostra »

What about Muir creek? - I was there once just on a stop back from a hike - seemed to be a decent area to launch (maybe) - but downside is that if you get pulled downwind it's hard to do the walk of shame without landing the kite, and packing it back inland to the road bridge... (assuming you launch from the N side of the bridge. Or even further out to Jordan River?

I've though of Willows and/or Gyro, but they seem like they probably have pretty flaky wind, and my feeling is the there are way to many people around considering my kite may be falling out of the sky without warning..

How about downwind of clover point out front of the Ross Bay cemetery? - or does the wind get all yucky after coming over the point? Seems like you could launch from the point, then drag yourself around the bay, water land the kite and you've got the shore walkway to walk and repeat?

Seems like maybe the best it to just stick to Iview and maybe try Nitnay until I've got my stuff together more.

On another note, I've wondered if my kite is too small for me - what would you fly if you were 6'6" and 250lb before gear?
Kite Kook

where to learn

Post by Kite Kook »

Island View - Yes
Parkesville - Yes
Gordos - No
I went there when learning and spent hours getting my kite out of the bushes. Then, I also put my kite onto a house. Can also be brutal for self launching. I know it can be paradise, and has been this week, but still not a good place for newbies, in my opinion.

Esquimalt NO
- as per above, the worst place to go unless you really know the wind pattern and can get there early in the day on days when it is south or ssw. If it goes west when you are out there, as described above, you are screwed.

Cook St - Too many injuries/kitemares to list to those who thought they were ready for Cook before it was time.

Island View has a good afternoon wind most summer afternoons, not nuking, but good for learning to body drag. That is where I really learned the most.

Parkesville is good for weekends, you just have to go way out on the knee deep water, away from the families. then, it is the best place of all for learning to fly the kite and body dragging and even your first upwind, if you have a big enough board or kite.

Have Fun!
:D
Vive et Ama
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

Voostra wrote:How about downwind of clover point out front of the Ross Bay cemetery? - or does the wind get all yucky after coming over the point? ....

On another note, I've wondered if my kite is too small for me - what would you fly if you were 6'6" and 250lb before gear?
On a Southerly - Yes for Ross Bay. If it goes west, you are screwed, and might end half way to Trial Island. Once again, if you are confident with the wind, have at er. If not, be careful!

Kite - I would use a 16m if I was that tall and could only have one kite.

Cheers!
Vive et Ama
Kiterkliff

Cowichan

Post by Kiterkliff »

Lake Cowichan is great. In the afternoon at the right launch its genrally steady wind if its clear and you can downwind to a little spit for a pick up. I have a boat and am out there most sunny days if I cant be bothered with the road to Nit. There is nobody to hit and the lake is wide and warm. email me if your heading up, I'm always up to heading out with another person. Beach can be accessed via boat and I just found a trail that gets there. Takes 10 mins to walk or 5 on a mtn bike.

ciao,
Cliff
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Good advice, guys :!: I must say I've been a bit more worried last few times out at Kook than when the regular star kiters are out where more newbies are practicing, they are doing great but I really'd rather not be the windsurfer taken out in the first multi-party kiting accident there....those learning or learning to jump might try polishing at different venues than the tight gybing space there.....or downwind of the reefs :!: :!: Not looking foward to scaping someone off those rocks.. Pretty Please? :D
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Keep it safe.....Don't allow 'newbies' to go out in unsafe conditions..I'm not being a snob..If/when someone gets seriously injured or killed @ a spot ALL OF US could lose access. I especially worry about kiters NOT using safety leashes..With the new spinning setups there is no reason not to be attached to your kite !!!
Thermals are good.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the advice everyone - I'm with Jimmy there, I know I don't know eveything, and I'd rather someone tell me I shouldn't go out, than wreck myself.

As far as safety stuff goes, I've got a leash for my board (when I get to it), and my kite, plus a helmet and a PFD (though I haven't seen others with these?)

I guess I'll just keep my eyes on I-View for around town, -Cowichan sounds good in that if it is a nice launching spot, I'd imagine it's sorta in the same valley as Nitnat and get the same thermals (although maybe a little later in the day)? You posted some coords a while ago - it looks like it's right beside the little yard just west of Youbou? Do you park by the cottonwood gate and walk down the river, or is it closer than that?

Cheers,
Evan[/img]
Kiterkliff

Lake Cow

Post by Kiterkliff »

Yeup thermals hit here around noonish on a warm summer day. Im usually on my 17 or 13M. Havent ridden my 9 here excpet in my rubber dingy! Beach is a good launch in nice warm sand. If you want to know where the trail head is email me. Its hard to describe but I am going to flag and get a distance from the cottonwood creek bridge tommorrow so its easy to find. Its about 1.5 km from the bridge on a little turnout. I have launched from that old mill site where the creek flows into the river but there is a bit of a wind shadow on some days so the other launch is more reliable. This is the spit that you can down wind to though. perfect landing spot with lots of room.

C.