Island Ga$ Prices Suck!

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
~ pimp hand ~

Island Ga$ Prices Suck!

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

if you travel to/from interior as much as i do then you'll want to bookmark gastips.com ... scroll down a little on the page to find the best prices in lower mainland(20 cents per/litre difference is not uncommon) ... typically the best is always between Abbostford and Hope(most of the time i stop at either abbostford or bridal falls) ... i always leave the island with just enough gas to make it there, same thing when i come back
Last edited by ~ pimp hand ~ on Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Ditto. Bridal Falls (actually the Rosedale Esso by the roundabout, near Minter Gardens just by the highway) or pop over the Sumas border as it's still cheaper there. The "American" (how original) gas station has, by many accounts, the best gas in Sumas.

Abbotsford plays little gas-war games, expect gas to rise up to 6-10 cents on the weekend starting Thursday sometimes, drops again Tues-Thurs so if it's down, don't wait another day or so to fill up near the weekend.

Duncan has best gas prices on the island, yesterday 94.4 (ya get 3.5 cents off the posted 97.9).

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

yep, we are getting gouged heavy in sooke right now ... thought i saw $1.02.something yesterday ... meanwhile 74.6 in abbotsford :?
TURTLE

Use this site for gas prices

Post by TURTLE »

I haven't noticed many people entering prices for the Island yet but this website may help increase competition

http://www.bcgasprices.com/

Post by Guest »

The price of living in paradise ... Kitesurf and get away with a smaller (like tiny) car :lol:
TURTLE

Paradise

Post by TURTLE »

Most of the gas and oil produced in BC comes from the Peace River North Region. Large oil companies have consolidated processing plants into larger ones located in Southern Alta where the product is piped. Since this processing plant consolidating event, the gas prices are actually higher in Fort St. John (for example) than here on Vancouver Island. Gas prices are somewhat similar in Fort St. John to here on Vancouver Island and the Peace region produces it. That seems hardly fair.

Gas is effectively economically cheaper closer to huge processing plants with economies of scale. Urban gas tax and proximity to the US border have an effect on prices as well.

Paradise is still lookin' pretty good to me.

I figure gas prices are going higher!
Mattschlog

Post by Mattschlog »

I did some work up in NWT. Heating oil is cheaper there than here. Go figure --- Quick straight road up from the AB refineries.

Windmills at Nitinat Lake? Just make sure they are down wind of the site so they don't "depower" the wind.
TURTLE

Heating oil

Post by TURTLE »

I am not sure about this one but I believe that Fort McMurray has a big processing plant (besides the tar sands project), therefore the relative distance is not that significant. There are likely loaded and unloaded truck issues. For example the garbage hauled out of the lower mainland to Cache Creek by truck is filled with wood chips on the return trip to Vancouver.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Hmmmm. don't think you could get wood chips in an oil tank truck. Maybe bison milk retruning from the NWT though.
Signature Block.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Abby up to 99 cents yesterday, never seen that here :!: . got the last station changing their sign from 79 to 99 as I was paying for the fill-up 8) chilliwack still at 82 cents.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Yukon-eh!

Post by Yukon-eh! »

Just hit 107.9 here in Whitehorse. No PST though. :)
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

I wonder if my landlord would allow me to "park" a horse in my parking spot????
Cancer must die!
TURTLE

Propane

Post by TURTLE »

In the big gas hike last year propane went from 56 to 62 c/L. I believe it is about 64c/L now. I am hoping that fuel will stay cheap because both my truck and my house are running on it.
mortontoemike

Think a gallon of gas is expensive?

Post by mortontoemike »

Think a gallon of gas is expensive?

Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ....... $10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 ...........$9.52 per gallon

Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 ..... $10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 .......... $10.00 per gallon

Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 ........... $33.60 per gallon

Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 .... $178.13 per gallon

Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 ... $123.20 per gallon

Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ........ . $25.42 per gallon

Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 .....$84.48 per gallon

Evian water 9 oz $1.49..........$21.19 per gallon?! $21.19 for WATER -
and the buyers don't even know the source. (Evian spelled backwards is
Naive.)

So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on
water, Scope, or Whiteout, or God forbid, Pepto Bismol or Nyquil.
I wish my TOW was longer!
colin

Post by colin »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2281011.stm

200kms for about $3.50 filling at the pump, about $1.50 if you plug it in at your home at night.

compare that to about $20 in fuel for 200kms.

the economics will surely catch on
kite+waves=!