Regripping a boom

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Yukon-eh!

Regripping a boom

Post by Yukon-eh! »

Hi all
The grip on my boom has been worn off in several spots on the outside edges. Does anyone know what materials and adhesive I could use to regrip it?
Thanks
Ross
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Done that before, I'm not sure I want to do it again.

You can buy grip tape at Excell Watersports. To get the job done right:
First you have to disassemble the boom.
Then get rid of the old grip (lots of solvent or acetone - very messy)
Then sand the tubes a little
Use contact cement to glue new grip on.
Assemble the boom.

Sounds easy, but it's a very messy job.
Cancer must die!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Ill tell you what sucks, hockey tape because it rips up your calluses, duct tape because it absorbs water and delams and electrical tape is just terrible because of slipperyness. Ive seen regrip kits out there but the hassle of peeling off the old foam seems prohibitive.

whups russian guy beat me. generally i lump on the hockey tape and look fwd to the day it snaps so i get a cushy new one.
jjjim

Post by jjjim »

don't bother taking booms apart.
Scrape off as much grip and glue as you can with a wicked utility blade. Those hooked ones at the hardware store are good. (don't cut yourself or you won't be able to sail).
sand the rest off with 80 grit sandpaper
put liberal amounts of contact cement on booms and new grip stuff (Progrip; you can but it somewhere)Let Glue Dry.
Place grip on back of boom, roll the under part around to front.
Now roll the over part over the under part and rub all over vigourously
Now you have an overlapping seam to sand off with about 120 grit sandpaper on a sanding block.
Job's done.
Maybe someone knows where you can buy some Progrip. It's cool stuff. You can put it on other things too.
Yukon-eh!

Post by Yukon-eh! »

Thanks guys. I'm gonna give it a shot. I couldn't find anyone locally who carries Progrip, but I'm ordering some foam strips that will do the trick.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I did this job once using methods like Jjjjjiimmmm suggested. I think I got the recover material from Bosun's, one of the two shops should have it in stock and mail it to you. I'm a klutz with tools, it wasn't a great job, but was a big improvement from the way the booms were - lasted until the big CRACK followed quickly by the big SPLASH with me holding a 1/2 boom. If it is just torn up a little, I wouldn't bother, provided it doesn't bug your hands.

It comes from either dragging the gear over rocks (shouldn't happen often) or dragging it over non-skid deck (which will get less as you learn to clear the sail more efficiently) or (as I discovered recently), from carrying sail with the board on top with the trailing edge of the fin hard up against the booms.
jjjim

Post by jjjim »

I don't know about your "foam strips". I would strongly suggest using real Progrip. It is the right material for the job. It's pretty cheap. You should be able to at least order some by mail. In the olden days we saw many attempts to create gription for the hands (like paint with sand in it?!), all quite horrible. Progrip has been the unbeaten standard for a long time.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Regripping a boom

Post by KUS »

Yukon-eh! wrote:grip on my boom has been worn off in several spots on the outside edges. Does anyone know what materials and adhesive I could use to regrip it?
Yoh Ross.....why bother? next time out, one uphaul or poor waterstart and it'll rip again? Unless more than 1/3 of the whole wrap is gone I'd skip the pain :wink: the new boom you will buy will feel that much more awesome dood! :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Yukon-eh!

Post by Yukon-eh! »

Hey Kus. It's getting close to a third. Just bought a new Start M (with a small, lightweight starter rig for getting my wife hooked right away). Can't afford a new boom at this point. Just want the old one to work for a season or so.

By the way, I also got a Powerex Extendo so I can use that old chopped mast with my quiver of sails. Not the perfect solution, I know, but it'll do for now.

Ross
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

awesome.....keeping wifey on board, it's much easier to justify the purchases....yeah, the start and extendo will get ya out, tons of booms out there is u don't mind alu, got one new 2004 here for you, used 3x $89 ha! for starter, lake sailing it's perfect. Have fun! 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
chewy

Post by chewy »

Kus are you serious about the boom? I am looking for one what size is it?
Yukon-eh!

Post by Yukon-eh! »

Comin down there for a few days in September, KUS. Will see if there is any windsurfing stuff for sale that I can't live without.
Ross