Tips for keeping sand at bay?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Yukon-eh!

Tips for keeping sand at bay?

Post by Yukon-eh! »

What tips do you guys have for keeping sand out of the mast connection and out of the base of the extension when rigging? I was thinking of maybe staking out a tarp.

Also when packing everything up. Last time I ended up just packing everything wet and sandy in the back of my truck and then spreading it out on the lawn at home and hosing it all down. Finding places for everything to dry in the garage was a bit of a challenge.

Thanks
Ross
Russian Dood

Re: Tips for keeping sand at bay?

Post by Russian Dood »

Yukon-eh! wrote:What tips do you guys have for keeping sand out of the mast connection and out of the base of the extension when rigging?
Nothing :lol: Never had an issue with it, but if you really want to do that - use electrical tape.
Yukon-eh! wrote: Also when packing everything up. Last time I ended up just packing everything wet and sandy in the back of my truck and then spreading it out on the lawn at home and hosing it all down. Finding places for everything to dry in the garage was a bit of a challenge.
Again I do nothing. I live in an apartment, therefore rinsing/drying is not an option. I was nervous at first about that when I bought my first set of gear, but It doesn't seem to affect it much. I've never seen any signs of degradation or damage from the storage/transportation, but I sail a lot so may be I just wear things out before they have chance to fall apart by them self :wink:

But I sure would like to rinse it at least once in a wile just to get rid of smell and salt deposits. So generally speaking its a good idea.
Cancer must die!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

when threading the luff sock i like to jam the end of the mast into my quiver bag, that keeps it clean at least untill i get the base on. luckily most of the rig spots i frequent are nice and grassy. You can try and minimize the sand in your sail by letting it dry (go get changed then derig last) and giving it a good shake when you roll it up otherwise you will scratch the bejessuz out of the mono. That said, ive never unrolled a sail to wash/dry it either!

hey are you really in the yukon? where are you sailing?
Yukon-eh!

Post by Yukon-eh! »

Really in the Yukon! :o There's lots of lakes here. Some big and windy, too.
But to tell the truth I haven't windsurfed here yet. Will have a new Start M in a few days. I've made a couple of totally unsuccessfull attempts with an old Fanatic Bat. Figure I'll have a much better chance of success with the Start, as well as get my wife hooked on windsurfing. :wink:

I do miss the Island though. Lived in Sidney area for 13 yrs.