Helmets

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hmmm, yeah, I'd say back to risk assessment 101....lessee, winded, bruised or broken rib, maybe knocked out, impact vest.....popped on the head by many means, likely knocked out, good chance of death instantly, helmet...it's a toss-up :P
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Kiterkliff

Post by Kiterkliff »

Got in a great day a squamish today sporting the lid. Didnt even know it was there. Had a good conversation on the beach with one of the guys there. Helmets protect you 99% of the time which is pretty good odds..........so one in every 100 days you could bash your head?.............mmmm
Anyway, im not turning helmet preacher but i am wearing one now and I feel no different on the water than when i didnt..after im on the water i forgot about that it was even there. I picked up a protech , fits good and seems to offer good coverage + nice and light.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

I read, If you hit your head once every 100 sessions, you will escape injury or death for, on average, 9,999 sessions. i.e. the rest of your kite-addicted life.

Those odds aint bad.

But If you hit your head every session while wearing a helmet, you will escape injury for, on average, 99 sessions.
Signature Block.
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

found tha perfect helmut here: http://oakley.com/o/o2034d

and goggles: http://oakley.com/o/o2035d

:)
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Helmut and Googles

Post by Bobson »

Da Helmut and Googles would look good on you Mr. Hand!!! Have you ever thought about growing dreads..?? DOOD!! When are you heading up tomorrow..??
Bradak

Very good selection of local helmets

Post by Bradak »

If you are concerned about geek factor, you should check out this guys selection helmets

http://www.fnaheadgear.com/

He's been making them for years. I use them for whitewater kayaking.

They are well worth the dough.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Been awhile since anyone posted about these things, but I thought I'd share my purchase with anyone potentially looking for a helmet these days.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 9210952239

The build is tough, not like a lot of those lighter models that you can easily flex with your hands. If I can really bend the thing that's supposed to protect my noggin then I don't like my chances when a gusty launch sends me hard into some solid parts of British Columbia.

Glad to see (I think) more and more kiters wearing them out there.

Can't help but reiterate, we think little of dropping 1,000 bucks on new gear, but can be too cheap to spring for helmets under 100?!
AC

helmets

Post by AC »

try and google
www.shredreadyhelmets.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

With enough hair tied up behind your head you have a giant protecitve sponge there! I've had my board connect with my dreads a few times when I was still using a board leash. Barely even noticed it. :shock:
curses - foiled again!
JL

Post by JL »

Must be nice !!! 8)
Thermals are good.
Globetrotter

Post by Globetrotter »

thats a cool looking helmet ned, not quite as cool as the dreads though - but for straight functionality... I would suggest the gath helmets and the retractable visor is nice for bright days. (ive always hated helmets mainly for the chocking factor on impact)
little bit on the dorky side but comfort wise they're great.
mmm wind
Ned

Post by Ned »

Man you are right, why did I not look harder and get one of THESE babies!!

Maybe it comes with the light sabre and cape too :?:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

By a longshot the best lid out there, not sure about the full face visor tho :roll: or any visor for that matter. Get it, you will love it and wonder why you ever wore anything else. My only small complaint was the ear piece broke, got a new one for 3 bucks both sides while in the Gorge. Pricey but well worth it 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Ned

Post by Ned »

Actually you are right, it does look pretty sweet.

That visor is actually fully retractable, you can have it the full shield, or just a few cm down from the top. I'm thinking I may have shelled out for one if I'd known earlier.
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

I have problems with glare off the water, it gives me bad headaches after about 1/2 hour. I’ve tried sunglass with a tether ( they fall apart), I tried the “Nikey” black contact lenses( They dry my eyes out, and hurt after 30 sec, if I can get them in at all). Then I was doing some web surfing, and I found the “Gath” site. I had a look at there models, and I liked the idea of the full visor. I ended up ordering one on line, and three different colour lenses, red, black, and blue. It came with the black lens, but I found it to be a little too dark. I then tried the blue one, and I’m hooked. It feels good on the head , and I no longer need to pack Advil for my session. I love the helmet, but I only have the visor down about ¼ of the way, just so that it blocks the glare. I find no need for the full length, other than to look like a guard from the old TV show “ V ”……It’s a cool look if you can pull it off.