Ideal surf vehicle???

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JustGiver

Ideal surf vehicle???

Post by JustGiver »

My corolla just got vandalized on the weekend. Can't lock the doors anymore and my insurance is likely to just buy the car out rather than fix it. My dilema - find a new windsurf vehicle.

I'm debating between another car - van or truck. Ideally the vehicle would work with baby seats, dogs, four boards and gear. It'd be nice to sleep in it too and decent fuel economy would be a plus as well. Security of gear is important too. This seems unattainable!

Curious to hear what works for everyone else.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

clubwagon- Ups & Downs

Post by KUS »

My clubwagon Ford (midsize 12 seater, not 15) works great as a family vehicle (has tinted windows), sleeping loft, gear always in the truck vehicle ready for action, I can fit 2 boards and ALL my other stuff, including camping gear or bikes while still have seating for 7 (10 with x-tra bench seat, don't ask me why they call them 12 seaters, not good at math I guess which would explain some things such as their fuel consumption estimates), can do several (~6+) other boards still with seating for 2-4, is presentable for other outings(work) while loaded, comfortable to drive. It can tow (at least for a while til the tranny packs it in) :evil: a 20-30foot trailer (or a house I imagine) with same gas mileage and guts (very little).

Downside:
it's a Ford (if that doesn't say it all- tranny, front end, brakes, steering all suck), fuel economy is abyssmal- get the Diesel or at least the 1/2 ton (I got the 1 ton), older ones from 92 to current are hard to find but usually cheap ($5-10k), plan on a tranny job ($3k) :shock:

8)
Last edited by KUS on Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
bricktop

Re: Ideal surf vehicle???

Post by bricktop »

JustGiver wrote:My corolla just got vandalized on the weekend. Can't lock the doors anymore and my insurance is likely to just buy the car out rather than fix it. My dilema - find a new windsurf vehicle.

I'm debating between another car - van or truck. Ideally the vehicle would work with baby seats, dogs, four boards and gear. It'd be nice to sleep in it too and decent fuel economy would be a plus as well. Security of gear is important too. This seems unattainable!

Curious to hear what works for everyone else.
I run an 1986 astro van, cost me $1200. Parts are very cheap, and plentiful. It's carries loads of gear, and we can sleep in it very comfortably. 18mpg/23mpg. Not a commuter, but for the size it gets the best fuel mileage in it's class.
Tip: stay away from the AWD versions, as they guzzle fuel.

Good luck. Really what we need is a SmartVan, light, small engine ect ect

G.
dwd

Post by dwd »

if i didnt need my 4wd pickup for work a minivan is what i would get- for mileage, ez loading, gear security and just generally lookin good at the mall.
jjjim

Post by jjjim »

81 ford f100 pickup with lockable canopy. 6 cyl. about 20 mpg. sleep on queen size mattress. Cook on tailgate. Pile gear on top. Dependable. Very repairable. Not of any particular interest to anyone. Cheapest equation possible? Maybe. Works well for me.
Pete Evans

VW Westfalia

Post by Pete Evans »

My Westfalia works very well for me but cheap it ain't. There's not a vehicle available that I would rather have though, realistically. Mine's a 1990, just before they switched to the Eurovan shape. I paid 17k for it and spent another 3k (OWWW!) on a head job.

I carry three kites, two paragliders, guitar and unicycle and it all packs away, leaving the living space clear. I like the fridge/stove/sink unit and I like having a hanging locker and good storage space. I can go away for a month, have everything I need, and not feel camped out after a couple weeks. It helps having lived on small boats a lot - to be able to squeeze a lot into a small space.

I like driving it, it's my only vehicle so it's important that it turns tightly, has good visibility and is comfy. Damn slow, it has to be said - you have to make an attitude adjustment that's all. Gas is about 18mpg in victoria and about 25 mpg on the road.

If I lost this one I might think about a van with some seats out, an airbed, some totes, some curtains, and a roof rack for wet kites.

I insured my little cabin for 30k and got 24k of contents cover, including the gear in my van, for $232 a year. I'm assured that covers me. Steal of a deal I thought. Gives me a bunch of liability and accident cover for the house too.

An alarm would be a good idea too. I'm a little careful where I leave it and having a girlfriend in an apartment can get a little tiring .... carrying all that gear up the stairs every night.

Pete

astro van

Post by Guest »

Astro Vans -- I've been intrigued by them. Do the boards go inside? What's the longest length you can manage? What about seating -- Do you keep a row of foldup/down seats in there for the backseat area?

Thinking about a subaru outback too. What other wagons are good? Don't much care for the awd part as its more on gas too...
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

This ones easy!

1985 Ford Econoline van with Getaway conversion. Holds up to 8 boards, including a couple of bulky GO's, sleeps 2-4, has a fridge, is bear proof, and bounces all the way to Nitinaht with wild abandon! Even KUS wants one! :D

Open house on Saturday August 6th at Nitinaht! :D :D :D

P.S. $3000 !
I wish my TOW was longer!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hmmm yeah, aah, no, you forgot the "is presentable for other outings(work) while loaded" part :lol: Happy "open vehicle" day! :wink: But I know KC with all the 7's wanted one if the price is right, you know how he likes to haggle 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Russian Dood

Re: astro van

Post by Russian Dood »

Anonymous wrote:Astro Vans -- I've been intrigued by them. Do the boards go inside? What's the longest length you can manage? What about seating -- Do you keep a row of foldup/down seats in there for the backseat area?

Thinking about a subaru outback too. What other wagons are good? Don't much care for the awd part as its more on gas too...
Yeah, I was thinking the same, but after a drivetest of Subaru I decided to go with a van. Don't get me wrong. Subaru is great! I took it for a spin at Esq. a while ago. It turns on a dime ( with the right use of hand breaks :wink:, boxer engine didn't allow engineers to make enough space for tighter turning front end ), it corners as a dream machine, it accelerates good, has lots of storage, but.... not enough head room. I imagined myself "entering" my drysuit at CB during the winter time and that was the decision maker...

I was reading about Astros on the net and it looks like its a pretty good vehicle (except 4WD ones ), but I'm open for suggestions. As about the load length:
to back of front seats 98.6''
Cancer must die!
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
themorb

civicruisin

Post by themorb »

Definitely a Civic. $20 drives me and my girlfriend to Nitinat and back! Pile everything on the roof racks or on top of the Hobie (see photos). Towing cuts the economy down by 1/2 tho.... ;)

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/thumb ... ?album=203

I think if it died, I'd replace it with a small Toyota truck.

Post by Guest »

Depending on your budget, I had an 83 Dodge getaway van that was perfect. Paid $3000 for it and it had a stove, fridge, sink, water tank and awning as well as a huge bed and upper storage so all my stuff was out of the way. It had a 318 in it which was great since that engine is bullet proof but the mileage wasn't great. You can get it with a slant 6 for better economy but you loose alot of power and the extra few dollars seemed worth it when I didn't have a line-up of cars behind me on the hills of the hope/princeton. When it rains, set up the awning sit outside or hang out inside and cook and feel sorry for all the tenters that are trying to boil water in their parkas. Sold it last year and picked up a 17.5 trailer and truck and this has been even better than the van (except for the extra ferry charges). If you arent' in a hurry start looking around for a camperized van. Most of them are ridiculously priced but there are good deals out there you just have to search and start looking for for sale signs when you are out driving around.
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

Anonymous wrote:Depending on your budget, I had an 83 Dodge getaway van that was perfect. Paid $3000 for it and it had a stove, fridge, sink, water tank and awning as well as a huge bed and upper storage so all my stuff was out of the way. It had a 318 in it which was great since that engine is bullet proof but the mileage wasn't great. You can get it with a slant 6 for better economy but you loose alot of power and the extra few dollars seemed worth it when I didn't have a line-up of cars behind me on the hills of the hope/princeton. When it rains, set up the awning sit outside or hang out inside and cook and feel sorry for all the tenters that are trying to boil water in their parkas. Sold it last year and picked up a 17.5 trailer and truck and this has been even better than the van (except for the extra ferry charges). If you arent' in a hurry start looking around for a camperized van. Most of them are ridiculously priced but there are good deals out there you just have to search and start looking for for sale signs when you are out driving around.
my bucket served me well back in tha day ... she logged many trips to the gorge/coast/nitnat without any major mis-haps ... mine was a slant-6

JL

Post by JL »

The 'shag' carpet was sweet as well !!!
Thermals are good.