Ideal surf vehicle???

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

º®¤ pffft ¤®º
Last edited by ~ pimp hand ~ on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JL

Post by JL »

I wore sunglasses !!!
Thermals are good.

Post by Guest »

thanks for taking down the disturbing rugburn comment PH :twisted:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I saw a post for the MIT Japanoid thing in the Vancouver paper, 8 grand. Nice but the steering wheel thing would cause me to crash I am afraid. Gotta love those Daimler Sprinter things, I think I will have to raise my garage roof and hope for one a those!! :D
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Here is a link for auto. info....Click on 'boss' on bottom of page if your supervisor comes by !!! NOTE: 'BOSS' button provides a different display each time it is used to ward off 'repeat offender Boss's.. Seasons greetings from the 'Lewis report' http://www.cartalk.com/ http://www.cartalk.com/template/holiday/[img] http://www.cartalk.com/ct/boss.jsp
Thermals are good.

Post by Guest »

Oh yeah, my girlfriend had a Mitsubishi Delica in New Zealand - that thing rocked! Two whitewater kayaks, camping gear, no problem!
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

hey, I found one!!

Post by KUS »

There is a japanoid cool dk blue van for sale, in Vic parked on Foul Bay just south of the Fort St. liquorstore, parked on west side of road before Milton (turn off to the Oak Bay dump) got some pix and will post later, it has contact info in the pix.

2.8L diesel 4x4, back bench, split mid seat, 2 up front, cat's ass :!: Unfortunately automatic or I might have been seriously interested. For those less pickey about trannys, this might be a cool surf rig. Asking $10,500, 70some K's :P
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....

Post by guest »

Vans = I've had'm all (or at least between my friends and I) so heed this advice!

Best Pick - Diesel Dodge Sprinter. (it's not a dodge - it's actually a Mercedes). Bigger than anything else and it gets better gas mileage than most 2door cars.... seriously. They are new to N.A. though so you'll have to buck up in the beginning to get a new or almost new one.

Old Faithfull - I've had a 1991 Toyota Previa since new. Almost sold it a few times (I had other vans) but I'm SOOO glad I kept it! NOTHING has broken on it (except the usual car-maintenance stuff: plugs, battery, break pads, etc...) ! 300,000+ km's so far and going strong. Hard miles too. A few trips to mex. Countless times to the gorge and most states and provinces. Still keeps truckin' along. Great in the snow. Don't bother with the 4wd - it just kills your already-decent gas mileage... plus you feel like you're flying a spaceship! Your hard part will be finding someone willing to part with theirs! An older Toyota LE will do in a pinch too.

Econolines: Who hasn't had at least one of these bad boys? They break but chances are that at least one of your buddies has the part you need sitting in his garage. Bad on gas. Good on storage. Your call.

Astro-vans, Caravans, other domestic minivans: = total crap! Don't waste your time or money (besides, they look pretty pathetic too). You guys are crazy!

Westfalias: good if you like wearing wool socks with your tevas. Who hasn't gotten stuck behind one of these on a highway somewhere and cursed VW?

-K
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hey - Anybody actually have one of these Sprinters (All Daimler (Mercedes) parts shipped to a Freightliner factory and assembled in NC then badged for Dodge and Freightliner, crazy). I'm interested in how they actually drive, their performance on long drives and hills, and acceleration, especially towing about 3000 lbs of kayaks? Cannot wait until they release the hybrid one, an extra 80 hP electric engine parallel! Might spring for one for the business anyway! If you're looking for a used one, look for the older Freightliner badged ones, there are some 5-6 year old ones out there but very hard to find.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I rented the smaller cousin to the Sprinter, the Vito, in South Africa last fall and loved it! Lots of power, great fuel economy (CDI diesel), 6-speed manual, lots of cabin room...too bad they are not available here. If the Sprinter is similar, it would make a great surf vehicle (more head room too).

Link to the Vito http://www.mercedes-benz.co.za/CV/Vans/ ... efault.asp
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

The rec.windsurf site has had stuff on the Sprinter - seems to be the vehicle of choise for windsurfers if you can find one. Don't think I've read anything bad about them!
JL

Post by JL »

Last edited by JL on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals are good.

Post by Guest »

The ultimate?

http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/archiv ... van_rv.htm

Sure wish I had one of these ... Sprinter Van RV Conversion