do's and dont's of kiteboarding by Johnnyread.

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found

Do we need rules?

Do you want rules?
64%
do rules exist?
36%

Total votes: 11

asscrack

do's and dont's of kiteboarding by Johnnyread.

Post by asscrack »

Hey there kiteboarders and wana be's.I think it is time to talk about the "RULES".Yes there are rules.The 10 commandments of kitesurfing.The first rule.Thou shall not break the rules,or punishment shall befall you.The next 9 are fairly easy,lets talk about them.Or create new ones,this needs to be done, as a whole.On this our hallowed local forum.May the true rules be with us.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
JL

Post by JL »

:shock: O.K. JOhn ..Heres a link to a list that DAVE could maybe place on his site for us....www//.rpstheboardstore.com/Kiteboardingrules.htm...Read em if you got em!!!! Jim
Thermals are good.
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

How about forming the Canadian Kitesports Association (CKA), and requiring riders to be "carded". Having a united front will also allow riders to get insurance, hold local events etc. Existing riders could be "tested" new riders would require certification from one of the existing bodies such as PASA, IKO or even the CKA!! Places like Dallas Road would require a Level II or advanced status ensuring novices are not endangering themselves and others. All it is going to take is one bad accident and the city will be inclined to shut it down. Instruction is now readily available in Squamish, White Rock, Victoria, Nitinat and the Gorge. No excuses!

BTW the web site address Jim meant is

http://www.rpstheboardstore.com/Kiteboardingrules.htm

I like the last rules mentioned:

"Most Important of all..........COMMON SENSE !
(Note: if you lack this most important ingredient maybe lawn bowls is for you !)"
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

kiteking wrote:How about forming the Canadian Kitesports Association (CKA), and requiring riders to be "carded". Having a united front will also allow riders to get insurance, hold local events etc. Existing riders could be "tested" new riders would require certification from one of the existing bodies such as PASA, IKO or even the CKA!! Places like Dallas Road would require a Level II or advanced status ensuring novices are not endangering themselves and others. All it is going to take is one bad accident and the city will be inclined to shut it down. Instruction is now readily available in Squamish, White Rock, Victoria, Nitinat and the Gorge. No excuses!
how about no?
sounds like another money grab ... the wind(and waves) will always be free!
JL

Post by JL »

:roll: Thanks for clearing up that link to "rules" Mark. I emphatically agree with wind dummy, lets avoid the bureaucracy of "carding" and continue to encourage safe & courteous kiting....Jim
Thermals are good.
gareth

rules

Post by gareth »

I would rather see a guideline structure. guidelines are easier to self police as everyone becomes responsible. With rules, who would enforce them?

I thought that the nitinat guidelines were effective and would be a good model to adopt for the Victoria region. Both windsurfers and kiters would have to be involved in order to get buy-in from both groups. Ultimately you don' want an innocent bystander to get hurt, so that should be a strong focus. Proactively creating a set of guidelines is a good idea. If you decide to go this route, I am willing to be involved in the process.

Gareth
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

I like what gareth had to say, guidelines and community spirit is all we need.
kiter mark

Post by kiter mark »

hey jonny.... cool idea about the looking out for one another and keeping each other safe.....oh yea and $%*$ all you money grabbers..............carding!....*$$$ #%F......
asscrack

Rules

Post by asscrack »

So, :roll: Looks as though, we are sure we want safe courteous kiting. :D Here in our local relm.The safest thing to do is always to talk about it.That's where the local guidlines come in.Make sure that everyone understands that we all must police ourselves,and use "common sense"! Make the new people realise, that we are all at risk,in some way.Here the "common sense" rules apply.Anyone involved in wind sports knows Basic sailing rules,right of way,this sort of thing,these rules should be known by all concerned.The beach is where the accidents happen with Kitesurfing.Methods of safety here is paramount.{ :shock: OF COURSE THERE ARE REEF'S TO WATCH OUT FOR,LOGS ECT.. :shock: }On the water,accidents are relatively few.The BEACH is DANGEROUS,so talk it out with your fellow kitesurfers and fellow windsurfers.This is the community spirit.We can all help each other,fairly easily.Some basic tips,"Don't launch a kite unless asked.""Don't help if you are nervous about safety".Otherwise,lets all get the hell off the beach,It's safer on the water.Cheers,May The Wind Be With You. :lol:
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

For those opposed to forming an association, I would suggest looking at other countries where Kiteboarding is more mainstream. I have included the outline from the British Kitesurfing Association. Key points are 1) Non profit society 2) Focus on safety 3) Provides Insurance for and promotes events. I hope it comes across that an association is not a money grab, rather an organized means of promoting the sport. If all you want to do is kite, self-regulation is fine, however if you would like to move forward, see local kite events, and ensure all new kiters are properly qualified, an association will be the way to go.

"What is the BKSA

The initial objectives of the association are to promote safe kitesurfing practices, to publicize information about kite surfing (see following link)

http://www.kitesurfing.org/faqs/getting-started.htm

to help develop a recognized training scheme for beginners to instructors and to maintain beach access for Kitesurfers in the UK.
The BKSA will endeavour to be the conduit of all information with regard to safety, training and events for practitioners & observers of Kite surfing in the UK. It will forge links with other national kite surfing associations for the purpose of sharing information which the BKSA will make available to it's registered members.

What does the British Kite Surfing Association do?

1. Source of safety information about kitesurfing.

2. Communicates with members, trade dealers, governing bodies, institutional bodies, press and general public about kitesurfing in Great Britain.

3. Provides a training infrastructure, which consists of accredited schools and instructors.

4. Promotes the sport of kitesurfing in Great Britain.

5. Co-ordinates and sanctions the British Kite Surfing Championships.

6. Forges links with other national and international kitesurfing governing bodies.

7. Provides 3rd party liability insurance (to £5m) to paid up members.

8. Provides information through a website, free emails and by telephone.

9. Provides information to allow safe access to all suitable kitesurfing venues.

10. Supports equal and fair access for all water users.

11. Aims to work with the British Trade to ensure that safety information is disseminated to all customers by offering information.

12. The BKSA is a non-profit association, with elections annually for committee members (November).

13. The BKSA maintains accounts of all transactions, which are open for inspection by anyone.

The BKSA offers membership to all practitioners & observers of kite surfing to encourage an open forum on the direction and structure of this new sport. The BKSA recommends that any person who wants to kite surf should first obtain "minimum competence" skills. Those are competent kite flying on land then water skills finally combined to basic kite surfing proficiency. Further details are available upon registration. If you want to be recognized as attaining kite surfing minimum competence or want to find out how to learn then contact for further information:"

I think it is great John has started this discussion, and look forward to more responses
mshepard

Re: Rules

Post by mshepard »

asscrack wrote:So, :roll: Looks as though, we are sure we want safe courteous kiting. :D Here in our local relm.The safest thing to do is always to talk about it.That's where the local guidlines come in.Make sure that everyone understands that we all must police ourselves,and use "common sense"! Make the new people realise, that we are all at risk,in some way.Here the "common sense" rules apply.Anyone involved in wind sports knows Basic sailing rules,right of way,this sort of thing,these rules should be known by all concerned.The beach is where the accidents happen with Kitesurfing.Methods of safety here is paramount.{ :shock: OF COURSE THERE ARE REEF'S TO WATCH OUT FOR,LOGS ECT.. :shock: }On the water,accidents are relatively few.The BEACH is DANGEROUS,so talk it out with your fellow kitesurfers and fellow windsurfers.This is the community spirit.We can all help each other,fairly easily.Some basic tips,"Don't launch a kite unless asked.""Don't help if you are nervous about safety".Otherwise,lets all get the hell off the beach,It's safer on the water.Cheers,May The Wind Be With You. :lol:
You have forgotten the most important rule "Watch out for Johnny Speed Read" :lol:
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

ok, maybe your right ... a kite is more of a potential loaded weapon in the hands of a inexperienced kook compared to a windsurf sail ... just keep the 'certification/card/insurance' thing out of windsurfing, surfing,snowboarding, mntn biking, motocross, etc. etc.
asscrack

rules

Post by asscrack »

I'm starting to think that "CARDING" is just not nesessary with the small number's involved here locally.Time spent on the water is good for community spirit.
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

Starting to think? Hmm [smilie=rauch23.gif] You are right, the local scene is pretty small. The idea would only be successful if it was Canada wide, and recognized other existing certifications. IKO and PASA hand out cards based on skill level . Check out the IKO skill chart:

http://www.ikorg.com/en/html/05_schools ... ards.shtml

I have been working with some Ontario companies who are interested in the process. To be honest I do not know if I have the energy to proceed without help from others. The underlying concept is to unite kiters across the country, present a united front, form a competitive circuit, and promote the sport in a uniform manner
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hmm, somehow I missed this thread way back when ...funny how the same issue keeps coming up and how some people try to drive it and it dies and how, late JR included, brought it forward and also change their view on things over time. I miss ya buddy :?

There is work to try and make it go and mega frustration with this topic, no doubt :!: Well, I'll be happy if IV and Kook don't get affected this summer with those increasing numbers :roll: and kooks like me out there :oops: 8)