Wetsuit vs Drysuit ?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
skimtim

Wetsuit vs Drysuit ?

Post by skimtim »

Learned to kite in Mexico in November - need to buy my own gear. I plan to spend time at Island View, especially during Spring/Summer. I need advice on what works best in cold winter water. I own a drysuit that I've used for waterskiing but am ready to buy something better. Asking for opinions. Thanks. :?:
Over 50 weekend warrior - new to kite boarding - took lessons in Mexico and am keen to improve.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hi Skimtim,

You'd find that a 5/4 or 6/5/4 mm wetsuit would work well for you most of the year here. A hooded vest will extend the range of the suit into the colder (5 degree) range.

I've been demoing an Ocean Rodeo Pyro drysuit for the last while and have never been warmer or more comfortable on the cold days. I am used to using a 5mm wetsuit year round, but have found that I freeze on the beach on the coldest days. If I wasn't sailing, I was losing energy and stoke trying to stay warm. As a result, my sessions were shorter and I wouldn't have as much fun. For colder weather, I'm sold on the OR drysuit. You'll notice lots of the other kiters wearing them as well. The nice thing about the OR suit is that you simply underlayer up or down for the temperature, allowing you to stay warmer or cooler as desired. Also, there is little or no wind chill experienced in the drysuit. This is nice while your buddies stand around in their wetsuits chattering while you casually unzip the chest zipper to cool off a bit 8)

The question of drysuit vs wetsuit really comes down to personal preference. Both work well, but have a very different feel in and out of the water. A wetsuit "swims" better, but the drysuit feels like it disappears when you are out of the water from a range of motion pespective.

I'm sure some of the other guys can step in with some advice.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

water temps don't vary much around here, you'll need a 4:3 or thicker. the thicker the more range of motion resistance, I prefer the wetsuit for 10-11 months of the year, like getting water into the suit to keep things cooler, esp in spring. I have worn a shortie in the straits in mid summer but what Doc said, you seem to drain out the stoke.

things depend on how easily you get cold, I am usually too hot and start wearing shorties at the lake in May. You speak of sailing in summer but then refer to winter waters. Winter=drysuit or 6-5-4 setsuit and is a safety must. 8)

PS- if you are over 50 you likely recall buying your waterskiing drysuit "just last year".....but maybe that was really 15 years ago... :roll: .I can tell you that the new suits are quite improved :P
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Bradak

Post by Bradak »

I too suggest buying yourself a 5/4 wetsuit. If you're well into the sport by next winter, then you can consider investing in a drysuit. The drysuit is more work to put on and warmer. You can due layering underneath. But in the spring and summer, it's too warm! I use a 10 year old kokotat whirlpool kayaking drysuit in the winter. The drysuit is also very nice after you get off the water, just remove it and then remain in your dry layers for the trip home. Drysuits are quick to dry too. There are lots of people out there during the cold winter days using wetsuits with big smiles.
JL

Post by JL »

5-4-3 excel works year round for me.( but after 1.5 years its looking a little worn).With hood...I grab a jacket as soon as I come off the water. (I've dedicated an old pile lined gortex jacket just for this.) On cold or very windy winter days I look @ the guys in pyro dry suits with envy...I just replaced my tired old booties with 5mm ones (Gul @ Bosuns $49:95) what a difference ! I am allso a fan of 'pogies' on my kite bar...
Thermals are good.
UnusuallLargeRobin

Post by UnusuallLargeRobin »

We're all a bunch of wimps! I'm sure Bobson would be agree all that's required for winter sailing is a fur lined speedo. ...myself, I get by all year with a 5/4/3 semi-dry
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Don't forget Skimtim says he already owns a drysuit. Question is how old is it, condition, and suitability of style?
skimtim

Post by skimtim »

Thanks for all the input. Yes, my drysuit is about 6 years old - not a diving suit - its a BARE recreational thing - it works fine for winter waterskiing - I've been in Elk Lake in December and taken spills without failure so maybe it's OK for spring boarding around here. I still need booties and a hood.
I'm off to the Van. Boat Show next week to see if there's any product to buy - I need the whole package.....kite(s), board, bar, harness etc, etc. Likely will be looking some at used stuff to get started and will need to find some company for support while I figure it out at Island View.

Look forward to meeting like minded kite-people .
Over 50 weekend warrior - new to kite boarding - took lessons in Mexico and am keen to improve.
Bradak

Post by Bradak »

That drysuit is perfect.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

check buysell ads , I still have that brand new kiter harness up for grabs 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....