I did not mean to offend anyone

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Sister_Golden_Hair

I did not mean to offend anyone

Post by Sister_Golden_Hair »

Sorry guys but this really got a bit crazy. I do love being out in the surf and I have no illusions about being good at it . . . which is why I asked in my Friday post about the safest location in Tofino to go.

My post yesterday was only because I believe the post "Chic: nice surf weather eh? - Jan 29 4:52PM" was directed at me (I could be wrong).

The "Britanical Beach" comment was directed at the following quote from Friday's Forum:

"Advice"The 'oRiginal' Advise: that last post was a fake - a very lame attempt at sounding local as well! - i had a good laugh at "Britanical" LOL - Jan 27 11:23AM"

If you know me at all you would realize that the last thing I would ever deliberately do is offend anyone. However it appears that I have. So, to the real surfers out there I am sorry.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful . . . I guess I just don't quite understand the intensity of the territorialness . . . although I do understand how frustrating waiting can be.

To the rest of you who got to enjoy that wind yesterday - I wish my hands could endure that cold!
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Hi SGH.

I had cold hand numb and pain problem too. I bought a pair of Da Kine coldwater gloves. http://www.windance.com/default.asp?win ... tem~DK_CWM from my local windsurf/kiter dealer. My hands were toasty warm on the water yesterday!

MB
I wish my TOW was longer!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hey if your hands can take the cold surfing, its warmer windsurfing, you should give it a try - see WindDoc's (maybe it was MB?) last sesh post on gloves that work - plus you can play on waves that surfers aren't interested in! Didn't offend me, but then I don't surf.
P H

Post by P H »

sister, i applaud the fact you have balls enuff to identify yourself when posting .. PM sent your way ... go to http://coastalbc.com/forum/ for legit advice
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

I just learned a new trick from someone at the beach. He went down to the water and submerged his hands till they were cold.
Then came back up and put on his suit, I guess to warm your hands back up naturally, your body opens up the viens so blood can flow better to provide warmth faster.
Cool eh!
Also unoffended. I just tryed surfing without a kite this summer in San Diego, and fell in love with the waves.
It makes me feel kinda bad :( to think other people can't come here and enjoy the nature that none of us own.
There may not be enough waves for some, but there's enough wind for everyone. Come play with us!
Just look at the pictures in the gallery, almost everyone is smiling. 8)
Sister_Golden_Hair

Right now I wear heavy surf gloves and they keep my hands reasonably warm when I'm submerged - however all of me gets pretty cold when I'm out of the water for any length of time (I have an Excel 5-4-3).

I realize that a dry suit will likely take care of the body chill (do they make them small enough? 5'2", 106 lbs) but I couldn't possibly hold the boom for any length of time with those thick gloves.

I have Raynaud's (or White Finger) which means that when my hands (and feet) get cold the blood vessels go into spasm and circulation shuts off. It is basically benign (and very common) and isn't serious unless you are cold for a long, long time - but it is very annoying as you loose feeling in your fingers. So . . . to make a long story short the gloves have to be seriously able to keep my hands warm . . . will those mentioned do the trick?

It would be nice to get out year round (although I really do enjoy surfing as well).
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hey SGH, I have Reynaud's as well, surprisingly it doesn't seem to have been as much of a problem this year as previous. I think because I am sailing a little more than swimming now (although the last few times it didn't go this way, I ended up so OP I had to body drag in) - I am making a concious effort not to submerge my hands much, it really makes a difference. Helps to keep the sail flying more, too. I wear palmless mitts below about 8 or 10 degrees, seems OK.

I'm toasty warm so long as I'm windsurfing - that changes fast when I stop though. I guess the drysuit works best there. If you don't have a big cloak to go over the top on the beach, I find changing into dry clothes before de-rigging keeps me warmer. The pros seem to have big neoprene cloaks or ponchos they put on on the beach, don't know if anyone carries those here.
Sister_Golden_Hair

Thanks Morley for both the glove and the after-water advice too. I believe it was Moe who told me he keeps an old down jacket with him too and just throws it on over his wetsuit (or drysuit?) when he gets out of the water. It never ceases to amaze me (and the tourists) how warm you can actually be in the water in a good suit.
moe

surfers

Post by moe »

well you know theese west coast hillbilly surfers can be an ornery bunch
Sister_Golden_Hair

Hey Moe . . . especially those dang hillbillies from the Sunshine Coast . . . (moonshine drinking, pot smoking hippies –all of us)!

In all seriousness . . . I know for a fact that this last bit of controversy has given the wrong impression of island sailors to other people reading this forum.

Although I was severely spanked here I have not met one windsurfer, kiteboarder, or SURFER who was anything other than helpful.
JL

Post by JL »

I carry an old Gortex 'pile lined jacket ,toque & skigloves in my van. When I finish a session or come in for a break on a cold day I immediatly put on this gear. The trick is to put it on BEFORE I get cold or socialize. Otherwise I go home a shivering mess. AND the best way to get your core temp back is to get into a tub of warm/hot water. Don't mask your cold condition with alcohol. (or what ever)Remember If you finish your day warm & cozy you are more likely to go out the next time...I think Kuz has a hot tub he lives in when he's not out in 40+ knots !!!
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

keeping warm- wish we could change the header :wink:

Post by KUS »

Youuuuuu got it baby :twisted: ....and any golden-haired, freshly spanked, potsmoking, drinking hillbilly surfer chics with particularly large warm hands can join in the fun anytime 8)

JL, ya gotta kite at Kook or Willows, man :D that IV place is ALWAYS making me freeze, even in the summer months....and 4 minute proximity to a hot tub helps :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....