Polarized or Non Polarized Sun Glasses ?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Mattdog

Polarized or Non Polarized Sun Glasses ?

Post by Mattdog »

I'm getting some new Rx shades for kiting and I wonder if I should get polarized or not.

Any advice or experiences ?
Signature Block.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I always get polarized sunglasses, but I don't get the prescription kind, just the London Drugs cheapies. Best thing for driving, boating, snowboarding...I assume kiting and windsurfing too. How much extra is it to add to your prescription glasses?

Post by guest »

Get Polarized!!! I can't stress it enough. Essentially, polarized glasses will reduce the glare that reflects up from off the water 100%.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

got some polarized, too dark, can't seem to see shit :x ok for driving

however, unless you're doing lo-risk boring drone sailing on a fresh water lake, how to deal with the water stuck to the lenses (and moreso the salt :?: :?: )

but maybe, since it can't be stressed enough apparently, I should try it again. Don't see a whole lot of diff tho with polarized, it allows better depth perception and seeing INTO the water but not spotting the ramp etc., so whatever :roll: my 2 bits :wink: seems like whenever I wear 'em I lose a pair of shades in da lake, floaties or not
Last edited by KUS on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

when i sail evenings at nimpkish the starboard reach goes right into the setting sun, which can be brutal on the eyes. I have had terrible luck with sunnies in the past though. didnt AC post he was shipping in some sweet shades to flog? 8)
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

polarizing eliminates the "glare" . Someone said that the different tonal shades you see on wind ripples is precisely what glare is. being able to see the ripples of course give you more wind information.

BUT. polarizing is supposed to add clarity and definition. Hmmph, it seems contradictory.

Theses are the glasses I am looking at: http://www.spexusa.com/SPEXGoggles.asp
Signature Block.
JL

Post by JL »

'Primordial ooze'...I think that's what Grant Watson drinks before he goes windsurfing on those 40 knot + days !!! I was once told by an eye doc. that cheap s-glasses trick your eyes into thinking it's dark allowing radiation to hurt your eyes. ?! I've had polarized Rx shades & they are the best thing around the water. They don't change the colors & they are great when driving. (those photogray lenses won't darken behind a windshield) My eyes still hurt from w-surfing Nimpkish ~ 7 years ago.
Thermals are good.
AC

AC

Post by AC »

The glasses that i was floggin were exact replicas of the Oakly water Jackets
and sold for about $25
The company is now faceing charges from Oakly and have to stop producing them.
I do have a company called OZGlasses and they are going to copy the same glasses with about a 5% change. Polerized and non polerized.
I am just waiting to hear back.
They should be here in a month or so.
as for a price, I will not know untill They get back to me.
They do have a great selection. If you wish . I do have a
brocheur that people can check out. Maybe find something you like..
Have a Great Day""
JL

Post by JL »

I'm in...
Thermals are good.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Less ugly than what you'll see when you're half blind from not protecting your eyes. My eyes are starting to sting for days after a session and I think its from the salt water splashing in them. This happens a lot kitesurfing. I need a goggle that keeps the water out of my eyes but stays clear enough in the process.

It's a half goggle half glasses design. The key here is a goggle that doesn't fog up, and doesn't get splotched with salt stains, can handle lots of abuse, floats and can be prescription. I think these guys have it.
Signature Block.
JL

Post by JL »

MattImage: I just hope the sea lions don't become enamored with the new 'gloggles'. It's a great concept, I have avoided shades since taking up kiting & I feel your strain.
Thermals are good.
Kite Kook

Goggles

Post by Kite Kook »

I have worn polarized and non polarized glasses on the water. I prefer NON polarized, as the polarized worked so well I could not tell where the surface was. IMHO, you need to see the surface well when kiting!

I also went through two pairs of cool(?) goggles: http://www.barzoptics.com/

These things were damn good (I went for the non-polarized option). However, I did manage to lose two pairs of prescription goggles. So, the obvious solution - laser surgery!

I couldn't be happier. Now if only I hadn't lost my $25 AC glasses...

Good luck!
Vive et Ama
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

ha :!: thank you KSKK, someone else noticed, they're great for looking INTO the water aren't they. And turn everything dark, maybe the cheapies more so....probably right on that one. All my stuff's cheap but when it comes to glasses any sports store owner will tell ya: markups on T-shirts and sunglasses, that's how they stay in business. IMHO if ya pay more'n $25 you got taken....don't care if they say serengetti spaghetti or oakley soakley.

Dunno how half glasses half goggles is supposed to solve the salt problemo tho :? but if they are geeky, maybe I want a set :twisted: It might stop all those tourists asking "is it windy enough for you?" or "aren't you cold" if I look like even more of a wingnut (oh, sorry Don :oops: no offense :roll: ) out there. 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

I figured the frame in contact with your face would stop water getting to the inside of the lense. Which is what happens to me with glasses

thanks KSKK I think I'm going with non polarized for better depth perception (plus saves $50 US).
Ridelikehell

Post by Ridelikehell »

Here's what I'd do if it was up to me- Get regular prescription sunglasses, never wear them on the water, and then buy sunglasses to wear when you' re kiting (rose colored or light brown polarized if you can). Most old sailers end up pretty much blind with cataracts from so much reflection off the water. If you always wear glasses when you're kiting, you should be able to avoid any ill affects down the road.

Alternatively, go to the dollar store, buy 20 pairs of assorted cheeseball aviator glasses and every time the dinky piece of shit shoelace with hockey tape that's holding them on breaks, then grab a new pair out of your glovebox for your next session. Alternatively, these glasses work nicely to butter up the federalis on your drive down the baja!