nature and community.

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
joel barde

nature and community.

Post by joel barde »

What do you think is the most beautiful spot on the island to sail, and why?

Also, is their a windsurfing and kiteboarding community on the island? Are they seperate groups, or ensemble casts. If their are community(s), then what does dave's site mean to them?
I just moved here from vancouver and want to windsurf as much as possible
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

community

Post by Bobson »

Hey Joel-dude,

I think any spot that has wind is beautiful to sail. I know Nitinat is beautiful to me because it is far away from the cities which for me makes it very peaceful but naming one spot isn't realistic as there are soooo many spots on the island to sail.

I don't think of the groups as seperate as most are friends no matter what sport they choose and some have chosen both sports. Some spots are less kite friendly but pretty much all of the main spots are good for both groups(kites/pole dudes).

I think the BWD site just lets all of us come together and discuss wind, gear and sites and other fun stuff. It also allows us all to know where and when the wind is or isn't so we can all get out and enjoy it.

I know that Nitinat is going to be huge this summer and I for one am going to try and get up and enjoy it as often as possible.

If you need info on island sailing spots, all you have to do is post a question on the message board and usually within minutes it will be answered. And the good thing is you never know which freakin-dude or dudette will answer you so it's all box O' chocolate kinda stuff....HA!

Hope this helps DUDE!!! :D
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

For me it's in the Lantzville, Nanoose Bay area. Sebastian Road at a low tide there's a rocky outcrop, pebble beach, white sand beach and turquoise water. You look out into the Winchelsea Islands and up Nanoose bay for a stunning view of snow-capped Mount Arrowsmith. That's as beautiful as anywhere I've been in the world!
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Man Mattdog, I want to hit that place so bad, would you give me a heads up when its goin off right in Nanoose? And directions too?
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Nimpkish! The mountain vistas, the serene setting, the trees, cliffs, clear blue water, great locals, and crazy night life! A+++.
I wish my TOW was longer!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Apart from the BWD group which spans the island pretty much, there are local small groups in Sooke area, Courtenay, Nimpkish, probably Tofino/Ucl that I know of that ski, fish, snowmobile and sail together, some moreso than others. It's great to run into people at the beach before, during, after a sesh.

I dunno about ONE spot, cuz some are better for sailing (CB, Gordon's) others better for vistas (IV, Nitinat) and camping (Nitinat, Nimpkish, JR). Even Mexico and the rest of the island spots don't really compare to Willows or Cattle Point for me where Mt. Baker and the shoreline, beach combine with usually mellow, safe, warm conditions, Cook Street and Agate Park (first time sailing there this spring) are close seconds for me. There are also tons of secret spots you won't have people reveal
:wink:
But the most exquisite sailing is pretty much anywhere on this rock where I haven't sailed before and it's blowing 20-25 steady knots and nobody is around :!: like the day I sailed out of Gabriola on a NW on a blazing sunny, warm day with chips and salsa, cold beer waiting in the cooler or the day at Spring Point where the rollers were so huge and soft I couldn't spot my buddy next to me and you could fit in 4-5 turns on one waveface...and the pub with its patio was open right on the beach. Droooool 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I'm with Kus, on a clear-air day with fresh snow on Baker and the Olympics, and Cattle Point or Agate are hard to beat. Mackenzie Beach at Tofino has its own amazing scenery. Tribune Bay on Hornby, too. I don't rate Nitinat very high for scenery, but the ambiance and forest is great. A few of these posts has made me want to try some other spots soon!

Community, with the BWD website? Need You ask?
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

South Chestermans (Tofino) too on a decent NW and sunny day.
Signature Block.