OR sessions harness

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
craig myers

OR sessions harness

Post by craig myers »

I picked up an Oceean Rodeo Sessions harness at Wileys in Seattle today. This was the first time I'd seen one in person and I was stoked to discover how clean, strong and simple this design is without being bulky. Its also really cool how quickly you can adjust the leg straps and how they tie into the upper section of the harness, not the bottom. Zippered shrouds over the buckles, a trick safety release on the handle pass thingy. Where is the webcam and onstar? I'll have to experiment with the waist hieght to find the sweet spot. Does anyone have any tips on dialing this in? This is really cool! :D
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Can you use it with a regular Dakine type spreader bar? I see the one they use has two slits. I have a slingshot spreader bar with an integrated QR that I would like to continue to use.

The Da Kine uses stainless steel clips onto the spreader bar. I prefer the idea of threaded webbing thru the spreader bar as there's no chance of it coming unclipped riding toeside.
Signature Block.
craig myers

OR harness and SS spreader compatability

Post by craig myers »

The OR harness uses one strap to runs though the bar end and back to a buckle on each side of the harness. That seems more compatible than 2 straps on a seat harness. The strap is 1 1/2" wide. I can't exactly visualize the SSbar you are talking about. Does this help? Craig :)
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

The SS spreader bar is just a standard Dakine one with a 1-1/2" slit either end. Sounds like it should work fine.

Where's the best place to buy the session harness on VI?
Signature Block.

VI?

Post by Guest »

I've heard of Vancouver Island, and I would love to sail up there.
Check the retailer list at the OR site. That how I came in contact with Wiley's in seattle. This is not a seat harness, its a waist harness you can strap all the down to your butt, if you want.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Hmm,

I wonder how it will feel compared to the Da Kine Fusion? Will it have the same back support?

My Dakine Fusion is 3 or 4 years old. I wonder if it loses support over time and should be replaced.
Signature Block.

Post by Guest »

hey craig myers, hows the guerilla marketing campaign going? have you "dialed in" your "cool" 2 day old harness yet?
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

sorry, forgot to log in, that wasnt supposed to be a guest post. :?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/43456
Ross

Post by Ross »

Hey Dave,speaking of which, how`s the awesome Simmer Xflex and your fave,the Naish wave 85?Where can I pick one up .

OR harness saga

Post by Guest »

Hi Dave,
I seem to have gotten what I wanted so far, something different.
Once I get on the water I'll discover if this harness is for me. I'm hoping that this thing will make my body movements more fluid and allow me to dial in the pivot point between me and the chicken loop. As far as durability is concerned, this looks like its worth a try. Everything I've tried has worn out with the amazing energy these marine kites put out, I seem to go through a dakine every 12 to 18 months.
Have you tried one?
craig :D
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

nope i havent tried one, hey! maybe i can write a glowing review to post on multiple forums too! :D
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

where do you guys find this stuff :D This: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930 is hilarious :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

The Onion is awesome, I have been a regular reader for years. They aren't afraid to go beyond the borders of good taste either (check out the pedophile article to see what I mean...)

So, I did a google search and couldn't find multiple forums of the post, so maybe this guy is for real?

I mean, the harness *is* well built and original and all that, so it is within reason to believe we would have rave reviewers who are stoked about their purchase. And OR hardly seems like they would have the time or energy to devote to cutting edge marketing techniques, ya know what I mean?

Regardless, to get this thread back on topic, I have one of these and it is the best harness I have owned, and it replaced my Dakine Fusion harness. I welcome any questions from those interested.

Cheers!

Paul
Vive et Ama

OR harness

Post by Guest »

I love that feeling of complete and utter humiliation. I don't get to feeling that much any more. It reminds me of my early days in kiting. Why does that make me smile? Thanks. I get the feeling that island sailing requires some dues...and how did I get so lucky to have one of these things before you?
later
carkeek craig
craig myers

OR Harness, next tack

Post by craig myers »

Cheers,
I've looked hard for one of these and had to bug people to get one, plus it cost me more than a Dakine. No one uses OR here in Seattle. Just looking for advice. After I set this harness in place like a waist harness, should I tension the leg straps hard or leave some play? Do you use it in mulitiple positions?
How much load do these leg staps take of the overall load?
Thats all.
Craig