OR sessions harness

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

Setting up this harness properly is crucial to enjoying it. My first session on it was horrible as I had WAY to much slack in the leg straps, and it was just like having a regular (if well built) waist harness. I have only ever used seat harnesses, so I personally can't stand it when a harness pulls up and interferes with my breathing.

Anyway, you have to experiment a bit to find the right amount of tension in the straps. I prefer it pulled almost completely down. Try it in a couple of different positions and you will soon find your personal sweet spot.

There is a simple aftermarket modifcation you can try if you prefer it pull differently - see: http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... ss&start=0

Anyway, hope that helps.

Happy Kiting
Vive et Ama
Graham

Post by Graham »

I"m with you KSKK. I've used my new Session 3 times now, plus used a very similar-but-not-nearly-as-cool prototype all last summer and feel the only way to ride is with the leg straps cinched down all the way (as long as you keep full mobility).

While pumping up and laying lines I keep the straps pretty loose, but then tighten them at the last minute.

Hope this helps.
craig myers

OR sessions set up

Post by craig myers »

Thanks you guys for taking the mystery out of this different looking harness. I love this forum, I knew somebody up there in the Canadian wilderness was using these babys. These leg straps really take some energy then, and need to be firmly set before hanging off the kite. Does anyone attach a reel? This is going to be like a new brunette with a tattoo, a piercing and a funky name. :wink:
craig myers

Holy Cow!

Post by craig myers »

I used the sessions today for the first time in 20 knots of wind with a big 20m kite. I was totally pegged. :twisted: This harness gets high marks from me. The leverage of the leg straps pulling on the waist harness above the hook line is just enough to make both parts of this harness feel light and very flexible. No binding or pressure points, and plenty of room for the family package to go balls out. I like that feeling. :D
Thanks for the set up tips you guys on Big Wave, it really helped, and hats off to OR for a completely new sensation. 8)
JL

Post by JL »

Just picked up a 'session' harness...Soooooooo to summarize the previous thread(s): 1. I'm used to a waist harness (like a diaper as opposed to a chest) so I will keep the leg straps short...2. The last thing to do before going out is tighten the straps around my legs...Jim
Thermals are good.
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

Hey Jim - I have mine permanently adjusted. I simply don't wear the harness while setting up the kite/lines! Other than that, you got it right. Good luck!
Vive et Ama
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks KSKK...Man that sure would have been a 'one' session yesterday !!!Just tried it out...You are right, once it's adjusted all you need to do is climb in, secure the velcro & thread the bar through the buckle.(shimmying into it & then merely tightening is an option for you lean folks!) Felt just like the old harness except far more padding...P.S. with all the gizmo's ( hook & Safety release ) I still can't find the cup holder.Image Jim
Thermals are good.