Bamfield

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Vildernessgurl

Bamfield

Post by Vildernessgurl »

So, I'm thinking of taking a job in Bamfield. Naturally, only if theres 'good' windsurfing. So.. I've never been there, can anyone share what the ws is like there?

downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i think pachena bay probably is breezy in the afternoons when its not fogged in, otherwise china creek and nitinat are the closest consistent spots, probably an hour to either one. ive checked bamfield a couple times when i was out there on jobs but never sailed. you can longboard a bit out there too so ive heard 8) .
Last edited by downwind dave on Fri May 26, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JL

Post by JL »

A surf kayak would be handy !!! http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/wsSOT.html I'm sure 'kitesurferdale' will have lot's to add.
Thermals are good.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

I have spent quite a bit of time out at Pachena (inlaws have a place in bamfield). I would say that it is a lot more consitent for kiting then windsurfing. Even the days that I have been out there and it is really windy in Bamfield and on the outside there is not a lot of wind for windsuring at Pachena (west or south east wind directions). Saying that if you had a boat there would be a lot of sailable days on bigger gear right outside of the Bamfield inlet. The windest areas being between Cape Beale and Bamfield. As you might be able to tell I have tried to figure out if there is any possible sailing out there.

The surfing at Pachena is similar to Tofino. The swell can't be too big though, otherwise you just get hammered constantly....even if you are a good surfer. It is best for longboards DWD is very correct there. The surfers right of the beach has an okay left and on a longoard (which I don't have) you could get a pretty decent ride. Last time I surfed there (easter) a grey whale popped up right beside us so that gives Pachena a bit better ranking on the surfing just because :D

Hope this helps.
Vildernessgurl

Post by Vildernessgurl »

Thanks, that helps alot :) I had to go to 'town' to find a decent enough map to check out the spots you mentioned.... Sounds exciting! I wonder if trying to carry the kayak on top of 2 boards on the roof racks will work?? :roll: So many toys to bring, so little a vehicle!