Stuck Mast, how do I get it apart?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Schooled

Stuck Mast, how do I get it apart?

Post by Schooled »

I think I got a bit of sand on my 2-part mast before sliding one end into the other. Now I can't get them apart, even with two people pulling.

Any hints on how to get the two halves apart, or do I now own a nice 1-piece mast? Should I just invite the neighbours over for a tug-of-war? It's an Aluminum mast by the way.

Thanks
Gdawg
Contributor
Contributor

Getting Masts apart

Post by Gdawg »

Possibly constructive solution: Clamp a boom (tight) onto each half of the mast. Using the booms for leverage you should be able to twist the respective mast. Once you get it moving, you can usually yank them apart.
Smart-Ass Solution: Sell your aluminum mast for scrap and buy yourself a carbon one.
Windsurfish

The Corpus Christie Twist :)

Post by Windsurfish »

Sand welded masts are a regular deal in sandy places - Get ~6-8 friends (hard for a true hardcore ;) and divide into teams - one side holds the top, turining and pulling, the other side the bottom, pulling and turning in opposition. A great game, as they are all winners. !00% success on 6 stuck masts by a variety of sailors over a 5 day period. To stop this annoying dillema, use a few wraps of electrical tape on the ferrule when it is assembled. Prevents the splitting from a separation during rigging (not good) and also makes unrigging a breeze :)

I also endorse the sale for scrap (Al is fetching top dollar at the moment) and buying a carbon mast. I have a beater 20% C I can sell for $50 if you want.....
Last edited by Windsurfish on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Yep, several people, try some hot water to expand the female half, tap with rubber mallet while several partiers pull and twist. The electrical tape is a good preventative method.

This happens with carbon masts too but alu masts are really for sailboats/kiddie rigs these days, dood :P Watch for this sand aggravation at Willows or IV, it's a washing machine favorite complication when you're nice and tired, cold from those SE winds and couldn't pull your booties off never mind unstick the mast :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

If the two booms-and-lots-o-friends doesn't work try a search on rec.windsurfing. There was a thread there recently on how to use a garden hose and water pressure to separate them. I think it involved removing a plug, but apparently worked on completly stuck masts and with no danger of breakage.