Jordan River is UP FOR SALE

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JL

Post by JL »

Correct & that is why we all need to get on this as per your e-mail ... Fine work Mr. Kus Sir. 8)
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

JL wrote:Correct & that is why we all need to get on this as per your e-mail ... Fine work Mr. Kus Sir. 8)
here is the distribution list again with a couple corrected or added:

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

just write a supportive note, anyone who's not too apathetic about your kids' future access to natural beauty in their birthplace......I believe, do you? :roll: :D
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Meeting on Last Chance to Protect the Wild Coast- WFP Lands from Sooke to Jordan River

written by
UVSP Office
on Monday, March 1st, 2010

March 3, 2010
7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
This Wednesday — Protect the Wild Coast – WFP Lands from Sooke to Jordan River

SJ Willis Auditorium
923 Topaz Avenue (between Blanshard and Quadra)
map

On March 8 Western Forest Products is putting 5200 acres of private
lands up for sale from Sooke to Jordan River – our Wild Coast. Let’s
help protect waterfront lands at Sandcut Beach all the way to the
surfing beaches at Jordan River, the Sooke Potholes lands and other
extensive forest lands and watersheds in the area. First Nations
sacred sites are at risk from development.

The provincial government has an opportunity to support UBC’s proposal
to purchase these lands as an educational and research forest. The
CRD must be supported in their efforts to protect these lands.
Come have a say in the future of our coast.

Speakers include:

Chief Gordon Planes – T’Sou-ke First Nation
Arnie Campbell – Otter Point and Shirley Residents and Ratepayers Association
Terri Alcock – Shirley Education and Action Society
Calvin Sandborn – Legal Director, UVic Environmental Clinic
Vicky Husband – Spokesperson, Jordan River Steering Committee
Master of Ceremonies: Hon. David Anderson, former Minister of Parliament

For more information on the event contact:
Vicky Husband, Jordan River Steering Committee 250-478-0388
vickyhusband(a)gmail.com

Gordon O’Connor, Forest Campaigner, Dogwood Initiative p 250.370.9930 X 26
www.dogwoodinitiative.org
JL

Post by JL »

Mar. 1 2010: Thank you for your email of January 29, 2010 regarding the property owned by Western Forest Products near Sooke Potholes and the CRD’s interest in acquiring these lands as regional park.

The CRD recognizes the value of these lands, their importance to local communities and to the region for their ecological, recreational and scenic values. Any purchase of the lands will likely involve a collaboration between several levels of government, with a number of community partners providing additional funding. Discussions are taking place with local conservation partners such as The Land Conservancy of BC and the provincial and federal governments. Partnerships with these groups would aid in the purchase of the most significant areas for preservation and public use.

A special Parks Committee meeting and a special Board meeting have been called to continue discussions on the Juan de Fuca lands and their regional significance. Over the past 10 years the CRD has acquired land in this area and, while all details regarding land acquisition negotiations are confidential, I can tell you that staff are currently negotiating with Western Forest Products and potential partners. The parcels of interest to the CRD include, but are not limited to, Sandcut Beach and the Jordan River’s Surfer’s Beach areas.

Thank you for your comments and interest in the potential parkland in the Juan de Fuca area.

Sincerely,

Geoff Young, Chair
Capital Regional District Board
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/blast ... story.html http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Updat ... story.html

As you know, I have been working with community groups and individuals to save 5,200 acres of forest land on our west coast, from Sooke to Jordan River. On March 8th, Western Forest Products will put this land up for private sale. But it's not too late. We can still do something to protect Sandcut Beach, extensive forests, the surfing beaches at Jordan River and land adjacent to the Sooke Potholes.

A community meeting is being held tomorrow night. It's our opportunity to get a large crowed out to tell the provincial government that we want them involved and active in saving these lands. Come and have a say in the future of our wild west coast.

Speakers include: Chief Gordon Planes – T’Sou-ke First Nation
David Anderson, Former MP and Environment Minister (MC’ing event)
Arnie Campbell – Otter Point and Shirley Resident and Rate Payers Association
Vicky Husband – Jordan River Steering Committee
Calvin Sandborn, UVic Environmental Law Centre

Wednesday, March 3
7:00pm - 10:00pm
SJ Willis Auditorium
923 Topaz Avenue (between Blanshard and Quadra)
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Cost to purchase these parcels if news report numbers are correct - 1.7% of the Convention Centre in Vancouver (or more pertinently, only about 4% of the cost overrun on the Convention Centre!) Under 3% of the Fast Ferries to be politically balanced!

Maybe an ICBC contribution from its multi-billion coffers as a carbon balancing offset (since they refuse to insure based on mileage driven and thus incentivise less driving.)

With right priorities, if we (BC) would only scale back a tiny bit on the next big capital project we can do this - Good luck UBC, CRD, others - I will contribute substantially thru Conservancy.
We windsurf - life must be good!
JL

Post by JL »

I just heard that an 18 Million $ purchase of Sandcut/J.R. lands has been made with the C.R.D. ... Great news but looking for details ... :) http://blog.conservancy.bc.ca/2010/03/t ... er-island/ http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/pdf ... images=yes
Thermals are good.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Great "agreenment in principle". I wonder how it will come to fruition.
As news release states now partners have to come up with the money for the purchase. Alot of money.
Keen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Keen »

a bit more to that agreement story...
http://www.cfax1070.com/newsstory.php?newsId=12628
JL

Post by JL »

http://www.timescolonist.com/travel/con ... story.html http://www.timescolonist.com/travel/con ... story.html Once again the Juan de Fuca trail was created as a legacy after the commonwealth games ... Why not add these pieces as an Olympic legacy :idea: :?:
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

“And we didn’t have enough money to buy Muir Creek. We had to make some tough choices, but I think the public will very much support what we are doing,” Causton said. http://blog.conservancy.bc.ca/wp-conten ... rGroup.pdf
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Dear Writer:

Thank you for your recent correspondence, with respect to the sale of 5,700 acres of private forest land held by Western Forest Products (WFP).

The key public issue raised by the sale of these private lands is whether it represents an opportunity for the purchase of the properties for public use and whether appropriate local land use bylaws are in place to guide any future development contemplated by future owners.

The issue of the value of these lands for future public use has now been considered by the Capital Regional District (CRD) Board of Directors. They have made the decision to purchase some 2,350 hectares of land in and around Jordan River and the Sooke Potholes from WFP for recreation, conservation and watershed protection. I understand that these lands have been identified as those having the highest value for public use. They include 3.5 kilometres of shoreline from Jordan River to Sandcut Beach and significant future parkland adjacent to the Sooke Potholes. The CRD has requested provincial government participation in the purchase of these lands. I have publicly indicated that myself and Ministers Chong and Coell are working within government to do what we can to support the CRD in this matter. As the purchase of the land by the CRD will be accomplished over a three-year period, I am hopeful that an appropriate level of participation will be achieved as early as possible, but I also understand that it would be possible to address the question of provincial participation at any time within the three-year period.

The use of the other lands currently being marketed, but not included in the CRD purchase, is covered by a number of local government land use bylaws. This includes the recently adopted Official Community Plan for Rural Resource Lands, as well as the Shirley/Jordan River Official Community Plan adopted in July 2007, and the Otter Point Official Community Plan adopted in May 2007. Like anywhere else in the province, these bylaws set out the permissible uses of the property as determined by local government after consultation with citizens.

I also wish to address the question of the provincial release of these private lands from their earlier inclusion in a provincial tree farm license (TFL). The decision to place private lands in a TFL was a voluntary decision made many years ago by the owner of the forest lands. The decision to allow these lands to be removed from the TFL was made to provide WFP with both increased management flexibility and the ability to market lands no longer suitable for forest use, so that it would be in a better position to retain jobs in its operations on Vancouver Island, where it employs some 2,100 people. To have refused removal of these lands from the TFL or to have extracted substantial concessions from WFP in exchange for such a decision would have, in effect, been a swap of island forest jobs for Victoria area recreation values. I do not believe that is appropriate public policy.

While both the provincial and local governments can learn much from the process by which the above decision was implemented, the outcome that is now emerging will see those lands with high public values preserved, other lands used within the uses prescribed by local government, and WFP placed in a position where it is better able to maintain forest sector jobs for Vancouver Island workers and their families. I know that citizens on the south island will continue to put forward the case for provincial involvement in the CRD’s purchase of these lands and I will continue to work within government to support the CRD in this endeavour.

Thank you, again, for writing.

Sincerely,

“Original signed by”

Bill Bennett
Minister of Community and Rural Development
Thermals are good.