Is winter sailing really worth it?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

you know one thing I have noticed is that not many kiters have posted here.
I will admit that I have been on a few winter excursions, I do have good gear, eg Pyro drysuit, etc etc, but what I found was that the wind was very gusty, off and on and for the most part more work than enjoyable. Experience the Hate you say, hmmm, I must admit the few sessions at longbeach where all I could think about was "OH S@#$, I am going to eat it!!!!" then pull out of it" could be described as feel the hate and I of course can recall it vividly, however, on those cold days looking at the webcams those memories do not push me out the door. The point of me spending my work out in the nasty weather does have some merit, but as of December I no longer work in that industry full time, so.......

Anyhow, was just wondering what everybody thought, thanks for your input!
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
colin

Post by colin »

winter kiting gives more opportunity to ride smaller kites in more intense conditions. if you feel comfortable being out in 3C and 30 knts on the ocean and in the environment which we live in you're ready for anything. it develops a sense of ability and confidance in yourself. even if its for a short time the experience is worth it.
kite+waves=!
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

i'm mostly a one spot dog so have to kite a lot in the winter. Nothing compares to going all out in 30+ wind, chop and swell, it's like another dimension.

To me it's mostly about being dressed for it: There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. The cold hasn't bothered me too much this year.

I was wearing thin polypro gloves under my dakine mitts yesterday and it made a difference. Still had to go through a small thaw cycle with my feet (7mm booties) though but after two+ straight hours that's fine. I'll perfect the foot warmth soon enough. Wearing a 7mm diving hood which keeps the whole body toasty.

As for the gusts it's all settled - you gotta get a flat kite , it's another sport.
Signature Block.
craig myers

Post by craig myers »

Winter sailing builds character and hones your kite skills. These storms are like living creatures suspended in vapor and pressure. You sail it, and other times it sails you. I just love being out there with all that energy and unpredictability. It makes the steady winds of the spring and summer much more precious.
rodeo clown
JL

Post by JL »

& besides: We don't get that kind of abuse @ home . My dog likes the beach time & it makes me appreciate the steady thermal winds to come. Dale I find that for me the 'ONE' kite makes those gusty days safer. I have a 30 knot cut off so I spent much of the fall & early winter watching rather than participating, but even that is enough to feed of the energy out there...It's all good...Future Winter plans: Kite trips to warm destinations & a video cam/ tripod to archive those 35-50 knot sessions !!! P.S. Those of us with sedentary jobs need to get out on the edge once in a while.
Thermals are good.
GWIND

winter sailing

Post by GWIND »

So Dale I guess you've figured out the answer is a definitely YES. CHECK OUT COLUMBIA BEACH SUNDAY. :D
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Dale, I am not one of the core guys (or girls) logging big winter hours. Many reasons - time (I have a job I can't just leave when the wind is up), family (when I am not working I like hanging out with them), and a little bit of fear (things can go wrong in the ocean that just isn't an issue at the Nat). So, I am pretty much a summer sailor - the whole family goes out there and we love it. Good times, no selfish guilt. Having said that - I have been to CB a few times and it is fantastic. Cold, but still great. The bad times I have had there were pre "good warm suit". It is pretty steady wind - you can go from underpowered to overpowered in a session, but that really just challenges your ability - like the other guys say. I am trying to get out there more because the conditions are good and the other sailors are super supportive.
GWIND

cold weather

Post by GWIND »

I hope we see you there on sunday! Mr. Tempy
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson