Port Alberni-as a Windsurfing Destination

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
flash

Port Alberni Opportunities -- an invitation for your input

Post by flash »

Thanks again everyone for your interest.
I discussed this today with our economic development manager ---Pat Deakin.Pat is looking forward to hearing from all of you and then he can report your interest to the City Council.
We have an opportunity here to create (from scratch basically and with your advice) a great facility for wind related sports---please call Pat at 250-720-2527 or contact him through the Port Alberni City Website.If there is a representative group from the Windsport Community now is definitely the time to come forward!

Cheers ,
John

johndouglasportalberni.ca
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

except for a few select individuals this is likely the best feedback and input method you could get....getting everyone organized into a force, spokesperson of an society etc. is unlikely (this has been tried a few times) but rest assured, there is (obviously) quite a bit of interest.

My suggestion would be to do the babysteps thing and see if you cannot effect some of the ideas for the coming 2010 summer and see how it unfolds. Combining it with other efforts such as sailing, kayaking and mountain biking sports, eco tourism, an inlet trail system etc. development is a natural fit.
flash

Port Alberni-as a Windsurfing Destination

Post by flash »

Is anyone aware of any community where they have successfully engineered (ie designed from scratch) a beach specifically for windsports?If so could you please pass it on to me?

Thanks ,
John
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

~~~~~4j~~ wrote:Great article. I've always thought a windsport beach project like what Squamish did would be good for this place (Squamish Windsport Park PDF Map). Where do I voice my support? Maybe if we get together and show our interest we can make this happen sooner than later! Having input into the design at the beginning would also be a great benefit to the final plan (e.g. safe kite launch area; rigging areas; bathroom/shower facilities). Even Alberta built a Windsport Park at the Oldman Dam. It works well. Pea gravel is way better than sand.
I mentioned the above examples when we discussed this previously (http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3841). However, I haven't been to Squamish so I can't give you my opinion on how well it works. I believe that the spit redevelopment was quite involved. Considering its location, it seems to me that that it is more difficult area to create a park than Port Alberni.

The "Windy Point" Provincial Park in Alberta works well. It is a windsport park - there is a windsurfer sign as you drive in! I assume it was designed and constructed at the same time that the Oldman Dam was built (late '80s), when windsurfing was quite popular, even in Alberta. It has plenty of room and works well for kites now too, since there is room to launch kites safely, and there are no downwind obstacles. Parking is free of charge; overnight camping is allowed for a nominal fee. There are well built outhouses, but no other facilities. The clay/silt beach was augmented with cobble and pea gravel. Strategically placed riprap keeps the beaches from washing away. There are no tides to deal with, but the water level fluctuates greatly during the year. The introduced substrate seems to be holding up well, nonetheless.

Port Alberni is a great location for such a park. However, the windsurfing/kiteboarding community is relatively small and the season is short. I think that any waterfront park should be primarily "general purpose" but have certain features (previously mentioned: parking/rigging areas, sloping beach) that would accommodate windsporters. As Kus and Eastside mentioned, Port Alberni is a wonderful location for so many activities, and the city should consider attracting all sorts of users to the valuable waterfront. I love the idea of hosting regattas! I used to race lasers and lack of wind was often a frustration. This site would be amazing.

I imagine that changing industrial waterfront to a treed/grassy park with nice beaches will take some serious engineering, not to mention long discussions with DFO.

I think it would be good to contact someone at the Squamish Windsports Society to learn of their efforts. http://www.squamishwindsports.com/

All this said, I should clarify that windsurfers don't really need much to use a site; we will somehow find our way to wind/water where they occur (as is evident by those that windsurf Port Alberni as it is). Kiteboarders are similar, but need a bit more space for safety. However, a place that is comfortable and easy to use will be much more attractive. Luxuries like bathrooms will certainly help. Showers, picnic areas and an ice cream shop would be amazing!

Certainly a better designed park would appeal to those interested in learning a windsport, not just those of us that already do one.
Last edited by ~~~~~4j~~ on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Hood River, Oregon!

2 sites, fully developed, from scratch (read riprap and nasty fill on bank.) One called Event Site, up many years now, and the other just opened about 6 weeks ago, for intermediates/beginners/families and is having a great draw of newbies, everything from learners on sailing gear to learners on paddle boards. Their city engineers/planners/council can give you feedback, but it is a massive money maker for the region. The wind seeker sports started it and it's now expanded to bicycling (road and mountain) in a huge way - many, many cycle tour groups, well heeled doing "Visa" touring; golf and hiking (for the significant others); and tourists there for the great vibe and funky atmosphere, good microbrews and cafes and ice-cream parlour.

www.ci.hood-river.or.us/

Best of Luck, make it happen for us, please, soon! Don't forget to go soft on the open container regs, we won't abuse it (ask HR about that too!)
Geoff
We windsurf - life must be good!
flash

Port Alberni Opportunities -- an invitation for your input

Post by flash »

One other question --- If the windsports community had everything they desired regarding amenities and access to the waterfront here in Port Alberni,how would you rate the top of the inlet simply for its quality(predictable wind,strength etc.) as a windsurfing spot?How would it compare with other destinations such as Nitnat or the Gorge?
Thanks again ,
John
Creating A New Geography For Our Future
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Rate PA very high, both predictable and good wind, plus a jumping off spot for day-tripping to fish, Bamfield (kayaking), Long Beach, etc.. It's a great multi-day destination spot once we have excellent wind access and good camping/hotels. And it avoids some of the road problems with Nitinaht. I for one just have the Prius now and will only do Nitinaht 1-2 per year after the road's been graded, however been to Oregon 6 times already. But a key thing will be to build the access AND the ambience.

Now if the road to Nitinaht was paved!!!!!
Geoff
We windsurf - life must be good!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

oh, I should probably point out, Pat is unlikely to get many calls. But: we will show up if there is any sort of development, in fact you already have a few regulars. The webcam is huge and the forecasting is more hit than miss. A local more accurate waterfront weather station would help too. A website to review the local groups, water access points along the inlet http://www.rowenashores.com/top20/
and services like this: http://windsurf.gorge.net/cgwa/resources.html
Just putting up a sign on the quay (or an arrow near the highway junction for that matter) saying: wind launch here, wind seekers welcome and adding a porta john would do quite a bit.....

To mimic certain aspects is probably a good business plan but PA will become a destination and certainly worthy of a planned wind trip because of what it already has, just not presented well as yet in my view. You have the marvelous Inlet, Sproat Lake, Mt. Arrowsmith, lakes and streams, good highway access, geographical center of the rock as it were, a gateway to salmon, broken islands, Bamfield, Uke and Tofino and the Nitinaht.

To answer the question: The wind and waves seem not as reliable, smooth or frequent or high powered as other places but with all the other elements it makes it interesting :!: I don't think it would ever make it as a pure wind destination like the Gorge but perhaps similar and different to the Nat and even there they are seeing growth in the other areas/sports but it could be a large part.

Volunteer groups go a long way to make access points viable and keep them maintained. Youth get a new purpose of getting on the water through volunteer/school teaching by wind and kitesurf instructors.

Designate some shared/common/park land to Mtn biking trails and invite trail builders to go at it, from the base of the arrowsmith perhaps down to the inlet. Mtn- trail-water. The sea to sky thing is widespread. They'd do it for free if they knew their work would not be in vain and a hiking trail or golf course would prevent them from riding a few months later.

What do you offer when it's not windy or windy enough.....that is one question to ask :D And how do you balance the seasons? Is the boardshop gonna turn into a ski shop in winter? The mtn bike/dirt bike shop into a snowmobile shop?

Hey, why is there no micro brewery in Port Alberni?? I expect a few locals know something about the value of a good IPA or ale :twisted: This could be a lot of fun and a life's work at the same time :idea:
Last edited by KUS on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eastside

Post by eastside »

Port Alberni is very consistent. This site has the wind statistics in the archives. In June 100% of the days were above 10 knots and 77% were above 15 knots. On the water I would say it is 5 knots higher than the readings. So it is very reliable. Send those statistics to the Canadian Yachting Assoc and I bet you get some big regattas and national championships. It can be more or less windy than Nitinat. This week it was much windier. The Gorge has stronger winds and a river swell. Generally it is for more advanced sailors and kiters. Normally people travel from one sailing site to another depending on the predicted wind strength. If we had more weather stations and more sophisticated weather prediction here the same thing could happen. Sailors could travel up and down the inlet and to Nitinat or the coast depending on the wind prediction. Or just go mountain biking......some great trails in Port.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hmm, agreed, I suppose for sailing it would be a hit for sure. Didn't know about any trails in PA but according to this: Port Alberni
"Port Alberni riding isn't as varied as other communities on the Island. While there is some nice cruising on old logging roads and the odd section of cross-country riding, what Port A is known for is super steep and long downhills. From the Beaufort Mountain Lookout near Coombs riders can access an old rail grade. Logging roads climb up and gnarly, jump and ramp filled single track brings riders back down. A more mellow experience can be found at the Ward Lake Trail near the Robertson Creek Fish Hatchery. Rolling single-track trails is the attraction here.
For more info stop in at Ozzie's Sport and Cycle near the water in Port Alberni"

Guess I gotta go see Ozzie if he wants to start carrying wind sports gear :twisted: sounds like he is in a good spot, just never seen the shop.

And according to this from Fat Bastards the trail network toward the water from above is already getting going a bit
http://www.fatbastardsbc.com/maps/PAlberni%20clr.pdf

Gonna check the MLS next :lol:
eastside

Post by eastside »

There is a ton of great riding up the hill from the coombs candy store which is just on the right as you come into Port. More advanced/ intermediate riding, on top and coming down, easier stuff at the bottom plus the rail grade. When do I get my Port Alberni booster pin :?:
kelownaChris

very impressed

Post by kelownaChris »

my wife and i were kiting at china creek on thursday passed. we were on our way to nitinat and stopped to gas up in PA. noticing our boards on top of our honda fit a police officer asked us where we were headed. 'you don't have to go all the way there for wind' he said, 'a friend of mine goes to china creek and says it's just as good.' i was hoping to get to nitinat in time to catch some wind that afternoon, but if there was wind at china creek we would have enough time to set up camp and have a bite to eat. and wind there was. it didn't stop all night. i thought we had stumbled on to some sort of secret mecca. i was the only person out there with winds that would rival any place i have been in bc.

i can't say i am ever going back to nitinat knowing how good it is in PA.

[/code]
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

it would be interesting to have an anemometer at china creek marina to compare to the quay. China Creek used to be the destination, but, it seems to blow 5-10 knots harder at the quay. Its been a long time since I sailed China Creek though.
like a duck to water
flash

Wind all day at Port today

Post by flash »

The wind started in the top of the inlet today---- blowing 9 knots at 0500 and has just kept growing all day long.Nice to hear the comments about China Creek---perhaps we cpuld get the Port Authority to have a web cam there in addition to the Harbour Quay ?
Any more visitors to the Polly's Point area of the inlet?It is on the Tseshaht Reserve section and apparently is good access to the water.
Cheers ,
John
Creating A New Geography For Our Future
jayracz

Post by jayracz »

I've lived in Port Alberni for the past year and a half. I have driven all over the place looking for a safe place for me to launch on my own to get some of that wind. The only spot I found was oppiste the Quay. Only problem was the access road gets gated past a certain time. Plus as far as I know the city works is located close to there. The thought of kiting in poo and getting locked in kinda turned me off. But if the city was to put in access around the Quay that would be steller. I would work the site for free if that would help get the ball rolling...And as far as R.V.ing or sleeping in your vehicle you could always take advantage of Walmarts parking lot. Sure the veiw sucks but it's free and legal! and landkitable LOL I so want to do that :twisted: