How to get back in the sport

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

All good points, I was thinking either a larger carve or a go. I would like to plane in 10-25 knts, but still go out in 25 knts... is that too much? I myself just want to go fast and have fun again, maybe do some long distance sailing like from the lagoon to cook st or fun stuff like. How would the carve be for a newbie? I am thinking to get my wife out next summer. Start on the lakes and light onshore days at the lagoon. what can i expect to pay for a good used set up?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

O....M....G... :roll:
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

Y....E...S... :roll:
rkwave

How to get back in the sport

Post by rkwave »

You are asking a lot for one board. I think you might want 2 boards. One for high wind and one for light wind.
Although I've got a Carve 133 and have sailed it in that range. It is scary at 25 knots if there is any chop. Its best range is 15 to 20 knots with a 6.0 sail. At 10 to 15 knots I use an 8.0 sail. I also it use for some light wind wave sailing at JR. After much experimentation with other board sizes I settled on the Carve 133 for my light wind board because it was the smallest size that all 200lbs of me could still comfortably uphaul the sail, when there was less than 5 knots of wind.
So... maybe you'll need a quiver of 5.5, 6.0 and 8.0 sail. I wouldn't use any sail smaller than 5.5. I tried a 5.0 and it just doesn't have enough power to get the board planing. You're probably looking at between $1500 and $2500 for a good used set up. If you can find anyone that will sell. Most of the larger Go boards get taken up by families, so the are not really in the market place. They'll get stored for years before their willing to let them go. You'll need a good Carbon boom for the larger sail. That and a good carbon mast. Unfortunately that means $$$
Beware!! there is a lot of old junk out there...
RKWAVE
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

Bump.... Still looking not finding... anyone want to rent me some gear for a day or so :lol: .... unfortnally might be stalled on this for the next little bit but for good reason. Kid number one is on it's way and will be here in the end of Sept.... still would love to get out on the water though.
BigD
Website Donor
Website Donor

Carve 121

Post by BigD »

I have a Carve 121 for sale in the buy/sell area. Maybe that would fit the bill for you.

Cheers,
Dallas