Port Alberni kiteboarding ban

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

PA thoughts

Post by juandesooka »

The AVT article made the Victoria paper today, page D8. I think the article mistakes the risks. The jumping off and possibly getting sucked under are negligible. The real risks IMHO are kites launching and landing amongst non-kiters, conflicts with boat traffic entering and exiting, and kiters unable to stay upwind due to lack of wind or equipment failure and having to self rescue -- the downwind catchment is not very accessible or safe.

These are all manageable through policy, education, and self-regulation.

1. non kiter danger: from what I've seen this is already very well managed by the kiting community. Good communication is key. Just need to be careful no one is downwind of a kite being launched or landed. Just need to be careful no one is downwind of a kite being launched or landed. (and for inherent risks launching/landing due to hard objects etc....helmets mandatory!)

2. boat traffic: already well managed from what I can see...when boats are coming and going, the kiters steer well clear. But more and better signage could help with this....clarify who has right of way. Give guidelines for clearance distance.

3. downwind catchment. This could require some help perhaps. For example, I have started bringing a SUP for sessions where the downwind is iffy ... makes a huge difference in a self rescue to have someone assisting. But for HQ, if there were two SUPs, and the rescuer paddles on one and tows a second one, that would pretty much solve the issue for anything other than injuries. One of the issues here is the PAPA boat being called out in these cases through trouble calls by the tourists/observers to the harbour master -- I am sure this is seen as a waste of time and fuel....eliminate this and perhaps a good chunk of the problem is resolved. (this help-each-other option only works if not kiting solo, and as long as the other kiters are watching for each other and ready to drop their session to assist....that's a training issue too potentially)

I hope this issue can be resolved productively.....thanks a lot for taking this on Dale.

John/juandesooka
Sandy Beach

PA, potential kiting ban by PAPA

Post by Sandy Beach »

Thanks, jds for your comprehensive review and input on a resolution at Centennial Pier at HQ before an outright ban comes into effect.

This ban is coming out of the blue, as the kiters have consistently demonstrated over and over again for a couple of years that they can self-regulate.

We all talk to non-kiting spectators, educate, demonstrate and approach any kiter who is not recognized (unknown to us what their skill level is). There have a been a number of occasions where we ask a kiter to not launch, if they are a novice. Our local PA kiters, plus Comox crew are there most days that it's windy and are very familiar with the situation and kiters.

Abetanzo, Alberni inlet is VERY different than Victoria's inner harbour in many ways, especially in regards to boat traffic. There isn't much at all. This ban is unnecessary for a 'what if' scenario.

My comment of comparisons with Cook St is about the level of difficulty as a launch/landing spot and the south islander's strong desire to self-regulate and maintain the free and clear access. The PA frequent flyers (kiters) feel the same.

The issue in PA is PAPA and Western Forest Products (WFP) currently own/control 99% of city's waterfront.

Another kite launch spot that PAPA could assist with setting up would be awesome, but PAPA really should re-consider this extreme kiting ban from Centennial Pier (especially if they want to maintain a favorable PR situation with the community in PA). There are many mitigating steps before an outright ban comes into place.

For kiters who haven't successfully launched/landed from Centennial Pier on a regular basis do not truly understand the conditions. It is ideal, since it is a run-way type situation and has worked very well so far.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
GWIND

Launch

Post by GWIND »

So, could someone explain to me and others where exactly do kiters launch
from at the new pier. Are the lines stretched our along the dock pre launch or is the launch off of the pier ? I know the area very well but have not seen a launch in that area.
If the launch is from the dock, I can see that being a big problem for the HC.
And what about landings are they done in the water or on the pier?

Google earth gives one a good view of the access problems for kiting, very limited space for launch elsewhere.
Windsurfers use the boat ramp beside the old docks but that is not a spot for kiters at all.
Google does not have the new pier in the maps yet.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Lay out lines across pier, from shore towards middle of inlet. Launch on pier. Then either jump off end with board or walk down ramp to the fingers, and jump in off them.

To land, hop up onto fingers, walk up ramp, have someone land you on pier. Or stand on fingers and punch out, reel kite in.

As long as you are powered enough to stay upwind and all your gear is working right, it is actually one of the easier launch/landing spots I have experienced. Sure a lot better than high tide just about anywhere in Juan de Fuca! But if you end up stuck downwind, definitely need to be proficient at self rescuing...and I think booties would be helpful for a walk along the industrial shoreline.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Global TV didn't do too bad tonight! Well done Dale, Rees, and Alex!!!

Sure hope the light house launch can happen
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Global news report:

http://globalnews.ca/video/1799851/port ... pular-pier

I agree, they did a good job. News reports on a specialty sport usually get the facts wrong, but this seems pretty good. Also pretty good press for the cause...."the only spot in BC to ban this sport, after Vancouver lifted its prohibition last year".
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks for the link Juan. 8) Imagine a world without the 'liability' :P
Thermals are good.
Sandy Beach

kiteboarding ban backlash in PA

Post by Sandy Beach »

Thx for the link, Jds.

Check out the banter and backlash from the public (residents of PA towards the Port Authority) on the satirical 'Worst Place To Live' Facebook page.

Talk about support for the kiteboarding and windsports from the public, who see the positive impact and future potential.

PAPA has garnered unbelievable negative PR and are literally looking like dinosaurs with this unnecessary move to ban the kiteboarding launch at Centennial Pier.

I predict a huge resurgence and more kiters coming to Alberni inlet than ever for this upcoming windy season with this Global media coverage.

The public recognize that the growing kiteboarding scene in PA has breathed much needed life into Harbour Quay in PA.
Where else can you high five a kiteboarder, as he/she flies past the downwind fingers on the buttery smooth water off Centennial Pier. It's been the perfect spectator appreciation spot for an ideal launch.
Sandy Beach

indusrty to recreation: share the inlet

Post by Sandy Beach »

Eastside, you hit the nail on the head with suggesting the PAPA board/CEO and city officials should take a week off and tour Hood River, Gorge to see what other 'town in transitions' have done to share the waterways successfully while realizing the economic growth potential.
JL

Post by JL »

Sandy I noticed the Harbour authority implemented the no kite policy when you were in Mexico :?
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

One thing Hood River doesn't have that PA is trying to attract are float planes. That's a big issue/conflict.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Sandy Beach

Post by Sandy Beach »

nanmoo wrote:One thing Hood River doesn't have that PA is trying to attract are float planes. That's a big issue/conflict.

"Trying to attract...." are the key words. It doesn't make sense to shut something down that is working (out of fear of what ifs) for the possibility of a potential business/industry that may (or may not) happen.

The economic development has been 'trying to attract' a huge number of things over the years. They 'tried to attract' windsports and kiteboarding to Alberni inlet, and offered the Centennial Pier as a place to launch after disassembling the pier at Canal Beach. CPier is the ONLY spot to launch in the city at this moment. It's been a wonderful spot for the kiters and public to interact.

I am happy that the public are the ones pressuring PAPA and city to find solutions to this. More than one launch spot along the waterfront in the future will be coming. A resolution that works for the kiteboarders, for the public and businesses at Harbour Quay is key.

It's high time that the logging industry that has locked up PA's foreshore diversify and offer more to residents and tourists of our oceanfront town of Port Alberni.

I think most people, who have been watching, would agree that the changing skyline (of kites flying) in the Alberni inlet is one of the best attraction that we've had to come along and it would be in the people's best interest to keep it going.
jim mckenzie

PA

Post by jim mckenzie »

I may be a bit thick, but as an outsider I wonder, are they equally down on windsurfing in the area? Is it the kite lines they don't like or is it any presence at all. Is this a kiter issue or are windsurfers included? Could one go for a waterski? How would they react to that? Are SUPers terrorizing the place? What EXACTLY is the problem? If liability is the issue, could a Squamish style association collect money from users to pay for insurance?
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

My understanding is it's a kiter issue and primarily about liability concerns rather than water usage.

Windsurfers can launch from numerous places, including canal beach...swim it out to the wind line and off you go. There are very few potential kite launches, with consistent wind and enough area.

As I understand it, the key liability concern may be bystanders more than the kiters themselves. The kiters can sign a waiver, but that doesn't protect PAPA from liability should a non-kiter get hurt.

But I actually see that as a positive in relative terms. Liability issues can be mitigated and negotiated. If the issue was that they just don't want us on the water at all ... that's a different story. I am hopeful PA is going to be able to figure something out that works for everyone.
JL

Post by JL »

I think we should ban roads. If we didn't have roads no one would get run over or involved in a crash :P
Thermals are good.