Kiteboard/windsurf club anyone ??

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
GregK

Post by GregK »

Somewhat off-topic but PFD's aren't designed to keep your head up if unconscious in the water, that requires a life jacket ( see www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=15198&tid=024 ).
sharkdiver

Post by sharkdiver »

clubs are a great way to promote a sport and safety in that sport, when i started diving I was part of a local club and with out it I would have never met the friends I have now, some of them mentored me into a safe and confident diver, then when it was my turn I taught divers the same thing. it is great helping people tone the craft they love. I want to get involved in kitesurfing and it would be great to know that there are people to help teach me the finer points of the sport, instead of going out on my own and trying to figure it out on my own. clubs will not cause people to take the beach access away for all of you, it is the people who do not have consideration to others who cause that, I have seen it before in diving the one or 2 people who block driveways, litter and make the beaches look bad, the people who do the sport in an unsafe way. the other thing is if you do not like the aspects of being involved in a club, do not join it.

ps the trip we took as a club was so much fun. got some great diving and chilling with friends that you do not normaly get when you are int he sport alone.
BK

Post by BK »

Hey Sharkboy... of you think it will help...fill your boots! You will find not many people are really that interested in forming a club. It's been tried numerous times already. Nobody likes to be told what to do, or be regulated...
Through experience I have found that a lot of people think that kiting is really cool and people really want to try it. Unfortunately, some of those people, should not even bother, not only for their safety, but for the safety of others...
This sport has been approached too many times by individuals with wreckless abandon... It is a shame that it is only a matter of time, before someone gets hurt, killed, or sued by someone for injuries sustained by just standing on the beach being a spectator.
There is a very fine line between being a daredevil and pushing your limits, and being a complete jackass and putting everyone and our favorite past time at risk!
Are you seeing the BIGGER picture?!