Island View CRD

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Questionaire done. Good luck with this one. Would hate to lose access to such a local gem.
Sandy Beach

IV Beach Input

Post by Sandy Beach »

monkeymanmike wrote:http://www.crd.bc.ca/_contact/?l=islandview_response

This is a brief questionnaire found in the CRD newsletter. It could really add some strength in numbers from the wind community.
IV Beach Survey completed and sent.

Thanks again, Monkeymanmike for posting the link to the IV questionnaire/survey.
The more surveys completed by recreational wind/water users, the better. Takes just a few minutes to fill in 7 questions.

After yesterday's epic wind/wave action, this is a timely survey to have your say, and hopefully keep our access open at Island View Beach.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Survey sent. It sounds like there is little interest for a pre-meeting at the Prairie Inn, so see everyone at the meeting. I'll try to go to a bit of the open house and the first part of the meeting. Hopefully those that can make it and care about the future use of the park will attend.

Public Meeting
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
7321 Lochside Drive, Saanich Historical Artifacts Society, Central Saanich
5 – 5:45 pm Guided nature walk in the park (meet at Island View Beach picnic shelter)
6 – 7 pm Open house
7 – 9 pm Presentation and facilitated discussion
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I was just checking in to see when to meet at the PI. Oh well! If anyone else wants dinner first, I'd go. Message here or PM.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Okay, how about meet at the PI at 6?
JL

Post by JL »

6 sounds good ... Then to the presentation @ the Hist. artifacts site for 7 (7321 Lochside Drive)... I'm sure we all know what the layout is @ I.V. 8)
Thermals are good.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

See you there!
cguygo

Post by cguygo »

working up island so can't make it in person, but survey has been sent.
power to the wind lovers!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Due to the big crowd being split into small groups, I didn't hear what all the concerns were. Anyone hear of any move to ban or restrict kites, for instance?

Mostly seemed to be grumpy old people not wanting ANYTHING to change, EVER. Oh, and the loud ones were all for LEAVING NATURE ALONE.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

My brief summary from the meeting: It looks like there were 11 or 12 of us there from the wsurf/kite community so that was decent. I think it was important that we came out and provided input. Hats off to the CRD for a well managed meeting and splitting us up into smaller groups. I was a bit worried at first with the large number of people and the large number or grumpy old dudes (not JL) that seemed to complain about everything and wanted to find fault with the CRD process before it even started. I'm sure they are used to dealing with all kinds of people.

We were split into small groups and went through the online questions and notes were taken by the CRD. As many of us suspected, there seems to be no plan or talk of banning us from IV. I'm sure we are not even on their radar. Most of the discussion was around conservation, camping and dogs. In our group we added our thoughts about the above and how we mostly liked the park the way it is. We also talked about how structures like gazebos etc impact (literally) kiteboarders. Hopefully the field will be kept the way it is and the conservation part will be done in the marsh and N area (the dunes).

I'd say keep filling in the online response forms (until Mar 25). It would be nice to get 50 of us or more responding so that they know we exist :
http://www.crd.bc.ca/_contact/?l=islandview_response
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

Adding to what BWD said above, I'd say that windsport enthusiasts do not have much to worry about. I'd say that it is the dogwalkers who have been targeted the most, particularly off-leash dog walking.

The group that I was in consisted of proprety owners, bird watchers, business owners, and dog walkers. They all seemed to think we were really fun to watch and a little nuts. None expressed concern about kiters or windsurfers negatively impacting the way they enjoy the park or their personal safety.

The concern about structures in the field was also shared and recorded in our group.
Sandy Beach

IV Beach

Post by Sandy Beach »

Helmets off to those who attended
:lol:

and for the next week, let's keep filling in those online surveys to show support in numbers.

Great to hear the CRD looked at and reviewed the responses submitted thus far.

Thanks again to those people who volunteered their time and energy to represent the wind community, and also to those keeping us in the loop and updated. Much appreciated!
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
JL

Post by JL »

http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/islandview/m ... ntplan.htm
Open House

Join CRD Regional Parks at an open house on the status of the management planning process, feedback we’ve received from the public and next steps.

Thursday, January 24: 4 - 7pm
Mary Winspear Centre, Room 4
2243 Beacon Avenue, Sidney
Thermals are good.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

that was funny to see the Birds Lovers arguing VS the dog walkers / lovers. Your dog can destroy / disturb the blah blah blah for the birds blah blah blah.

(the meeting almost 2 years ago now)
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

at the least we need signs to inform people to stay clear when a kite is about to launch or land. I'd also like to ask for some 1/2 metre trails running out to the beach, two or three to help traction.