Jordan River is UP FOR SALE

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Thanks for all your work on this RocDoc (you don't drive a Lexus sport convertible do you? "ROC DOC" license plate), and for your efforts PastaDude! Sounds like the campaign is well on its way!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Nice work!! Thanks for the updates.

As I am stuck in Richmond during most of October I hope others can carry the torch and support those surfers, others, and locals promoting this, thank you all for your efforts :!: :!: 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Thanks mates.

Nope Lexus not mine - not my style.

Kus - you win prize - your letter was the most original and longest of the letters received by JDF Parks.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

In today's TC about last nights meeting.

Battle starts to protect Jordan River surf beach
Juan de Fuca Recreation Commission throws its support behind bid to give famed Island surfing beach park status
Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist
Published: Friday, October 05, 2007

The Juan de Fuca Recreation Commission is on board with turning a spectacular surfing area near Jordan River into a park.

Riding a wave of support from the surfing community, commissioners voted last night to write to Capital Regional District Parks, the province and Western Forest Products indicating they want the area protected.

The forest company was given government approval this year to remove more than 28,000 hectares of private land from tree-farm licences on Vancouver Island, including about 12,000 hectares from Licence 25 near the tiny community of Jordan River.

More than 1,800 hectares of that property, including waterfront parcels stretching from Shirley to Jordan River, are now being sold by the company.

Many are worried that will threaten a world-renowned surfing beach and campground near Jordan River.

The recreation commission received more than 50 letters yesterday in support of preserving the area as park. Many said the campsite is not only used by surfers and windsurfers but by kayakers, campers, bird watchers and anglers.

The area is particularly valuable oceanfront because the water is accessible by car, meaning small boats can be easily launched.

"From our point of view, it's a vital part of our recreation access," coastal consultant Rick Gillie told the commissioners. He said the campsite has been operating in the area for 30 to 40 years and that the West Coast Surfing Associates have had a sauna and cabin in the area, with Western Forest Products' permission, for about the same period.

More than a half-dozen people squeezed into the tiny meeting room at the CRD's Sooke offices to show support for protecting the area.

Chairwoman Louise Paterson warned parkland acquisition does not come easily, however.

"It's the start of your journey. Don't give up," she said.

The Juan de Fuca Recreation Commission is responsible for parks in the sprawling Juan de Fuca electoral area, which also includes East Sooke, a portion of the Malahat and Willis Point.

While some have suggested the province's decision to allow the forest company to sell off some of its holdings could lead to rampant development, CRD director Erik Lund said there is no reason to panic, since existing zoning prevails in the event of a sale.

"The concern that I'm hearing in the press and all over is: 'Wow, we're going to have all kinds of development all over the place.' Well, not necessarily."

The vast majority of the lands have a 10-acre minimum lot size, with one house permitted per lot, he said.

"So I don't see where we're faced with a tremendous buildout from here to Port Renfrew -- not without it going through the public process, in any event."
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Reminder: Meeting today, FRIDAY at Shirley Community Hall, 7pm re: sale of JR :!:

I cannot attend, hope others can to show the support for retaining the beachfront as a public access park :P
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

CFAX report

TOWN MEETING OVER MASSIVE FORESTRY LAND SALE
Oct 12, 2007

MORE THAN ONE HUNDRED PEOPLE GATHERED AT THE COMMUNITY HALL OF SHIRLEY, WEST OF SOOKE FRIDAY NIGHT TO TALK ABOUT A PROPOSED LAND SALE BY FORESTRY COMPANY WESTERN FOREST PRODUCTS.

THE NDP MLA FOR THE AREA, JOHN HORGAN, LEAD THE FORUM -- AND SPOKE WITH CFAX 1070 NEWS AFTERWARDS.

HORGAN SAYS THE PEOPLE IN THE AREA WOULD RATHER SEE LOGGING ACTIVITY CONTINUE INSTEAD OF MASS DEVELOPMENT.

"GENERATIONS OF LOGGING HAVE TAKEN PLACE THERE," HORGAN SAYS. "THAT'S NOT A LAND USE THAT'S FROWNED UPON IN THE JORDAN RIVER AREA. I THINK THE CHALLENGE IS, HOW DO WE MANAGE AN OVERWHELMING AMOUNT OF PROPERTY COMING ON TO THE MARKET AT ONE TIME. WHERE'S THE INFRASTRUCTURE GOING TO COME FROM?

"FIRE, WATER, AMENITIES THAT WE TAKE FOR GRANTED IN URBAN AND SUBURBAN AREAS -- THEY'RE JUST NOT AVAILABLE OUT THERE."

HORGAN SAYS NEARLY HALF THE LAND WITHIN THE OFFICIAL COMMUNITY PLAN OF OTTER POINT AND SHIRLEY IS ON THE MARKET.

HE SAYS THE RURAL AREA CANNOT HANDLE THAT MUCH DEVELOPMENT.

HORGAN SAYS PEOPLE IN THE AREA ARE DEAD SET AGAINST SEEING MASS DEVELOPMENT -- AND SAYS THEY'RE TURNING OUT IN DROVES TO VOICE THEIR CONCERN.

"WE HAD YOUNG PEOPLE WHO I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE ENGAGED IN A POLITICAL PROCESS," HORGAN SAYS. "THEY WERE QUITE EXCITED ABOUT IT. WE HAD ELDERLY PEOPLE WHO HAD NOT ATTENDED MEETINGS SUCH AS THIS IN THE PAST. SO IT WASN'T YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS. THIS WAS A CROSS-SECTION OF THE PUBLIC INSISTENT ON SOME ACTION, AND IT'S INCUMBENT UPON ME TO CARRY FORWARD WITH THAT."

WESTERN FOREST PRODUCTS INTENDS TO SELL MORE THAN 1,800 HECTARES OF ITS PRIVATELY-OWNED LAND WHICH THE B.C. GOVERNMENT ALLOWED TO BE TAKEN OUT OF A TREE FARM RESERVE.

HORGAN SAYS HE'LL BE TRYING TO GET THE LIBERALS TO REVERSE THAT DECISION WHEN THE B.C. LEGISLATURE STARTS ITS FALL SITTING THIS COMING WEEK.

HE SAYS NOBODY FROM WESTERN FOREST PRODUCTS WAS AT FRIDAY'S MEETING, BUT SAYS HE DID SPEAK WITH A COMPANY OFFICIAL EARLIER IN THE DAY.

"I MET WITH THE CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER, DUNCAN KERR, IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING TO HEAR FROM THEM WHAT THEIR PLAN WAS FOR THE PROPERTY," HORGAN SAYS. "I WAS ADVISED BY MR. KERR THAT WESTERN FOREST PRODUCTS IS IN THE BUSINESS OF FORESTRY, THEY'RE NOT INTERESTED IN BEING LAND DEVELOPERS, AND THAT'S ONE OF THE REASONS WHY THEY'VE PUT THESE PROPERTIES ON THE REAL ESTATE MARKET."

- IRELAND
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

There is a 2 day old rumour that the land has already been sold.

The buyer is rumoured to be the Victoria land developer - Bear Mountain.

If any of this is true we are screwed.
JL

Post by JL »

Trade: Wave board for golf clubs ... Anyone ever hear of kitesurfing / windsurfing or surfing @ Pebble beach ?!
Thermals are good.
Brooke Finlayson

Saving JR as a park

Post by Brooke Finlayson »

I was last nights meeting in Shirley and was really impressed with the support and interest to save Jordan River as a park while preserving the recreational sites for everyone. I was equally impressed with those who are taking a stand against big development (God forbid JR, Shirley or Jacob's Creek remotely resembles Bear Mtn. when this all said and done!), and the government and timber company's sneaky approach to having the land taken out of the TFL. This sort of bullshit of selling what belongs to the taxpayer (or used to belong to...) has got to stop.

We were encouraged to write letters to John Horgan, Keith Martin, Minister of the Environment, Gordon Campbell, etc. It's great to send the letters, but what's the game plan? Are we going to rally together, fundraise like crazy, and buy this land? Are we going to start applying for grants and donations? Do we demand that the process be reassessed and the decision to exclude the taxpayers from input and public process be overturned?? Where to begin?

Surfrider is having it's monthly meeting on Tuesday October 16th from 7:30-9:30 pm at 1330 Fairfield Road, and I encourage and invite you to attend. We are taking on this issue as one of two campaigns for the year, and we are hoping to rally all water users and come together. We are looking for your ideas, strategies, and input. This is not a place that any of us are willing to lose. I'm pretty much willing to do ANYTHING to save this place. Please come and show your support-there seems to be a tonne of it in this forum!

Mahalo!
Brooke Finlayson-Chair Surfrider Victoria
JL

Post by JL »

'BARE' Mountain !!!
Thermals are good.
morewind

Post by morewind »

Unbearable mountain :cry:
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

John Horgan, provincial MLA for Juan de Fuca, and a critic of the BC government for granting permission to WFP to take land out of the TFL and to sell forest land and existing park land (Jordan River), will be on CFAX 1070 radio Tues AM from 08:20 - 09:00.

I encourage you to phone in and give your opinion on the land sale and the value to recreation users of the JR park land in particular.
asscrack

Jorden River Accidentally Given Away

Post by asscrack »

Yesterdays Times Colonist Headlines. :cry: Anybody read the article?Seems as thought there was a serious mistake made.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Here is more info:
Attachments
image (Medium).jpg
image (Medium).jpg (63.35 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Last edited by asscrack on Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

These articles?

CRD error allowed Jordan River development despite zoning
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolo ... df&k=39643

Error slipped by CRD at all levels
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolo ... 78&k=97675
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Here is a link to a petition if you want to support the effort.

http://www.bcndpcaucus.ca/en/jordan_river_petition
Its all about the adventure and stoke!