Oregon Wavesailing Trips 2011

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

OMG, that's outrageous :!: ......who can I sue :?:

For a guy who skipped outta kettle bells cuz he's too old you sure have a keen memory for file locations :shock: :wink:

Hmmm, Hood River Full Wind in your Sail Ale :twisted: Best roadtrip ever, I don't think I have ever sailed or laughed so hard and so much :D
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

dammit, and I was just about to head to bed and...
Don't forget to bring a towel!
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

nanmoo wrote:What is this south beach place?
Here is what the "Oregon Coast Windsurfing Guide" (2009 edition) says:

Newport, South Beach

This is a state park a short drive south past the Newport bridge. Follow the state park signs. Nice grass rigging area and outside shower. On big days with north or Northwest swell you can sometimes play “dial a wave size” by sailing closer or further from the Jetty. This place is really good for north clearing winds in the Fall. Here is the Yaquina Bay Bridge cam view with weather. This is a good way to check how far the fog has
moved in.

http://www.tripcheck.com/RoadCams/cams/ ... pid645.jpg

The jetty sensor is at
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=nwpo3

Another good sensor is the Hatfield Marine Center about a half mile east of the Newport South Jetty. This is also good for see there the wind strong wind will set with the fog.
http://weather.hmsc.oregonstate.edu/

The jetty sensor is at
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=nwpo3

- end of clip -

What I remember (my 2004 trip log is somewhere else): wide open sand beach with a jetty at the north end; grass rigging area (with showers for rinsing your gear after sailing); The shear excitement of seeing the wind and WAVES; the waves looked 'small' and quite managable while standing safely atop the sand dunes; having one friend say, "the water was too shallow on the inside for trying to throwing back loops" :cry: ; getting tired carrying my gear to the water (across the huge expanse of soft sand); having the waves now look 'huge' (and realizing they were double head high) while standing in the shallows on the inside waiting for 'a gap' to punch out; having said 'gap' never show up and doing a more than a few 'chicken' jibes when confronted with standing walls of water; being amazed at seeing one of my friends launch a huge table top :D ; wondering if I was ever going to see said friend again after seeing him get mowed by the next wave after landing :shock: ; having second friend diappear up to the lee of the jetty to sail the smaller waves; struggling to get going in the lathoral current; stuggling to stay even with the beach (and never being able to really feel like I was upwind of where I started); having to do the long walk back to the van to get larger board (then again to get a larger sail); having to jump the lip of the HUGE a-frames on the outside (that seemed more like liquid mountains than waves); having that weightless feeling in my stomach as I sailed down the backside of the huge a-frames on the outside (and wondering when I was ever going to reach the trough); learning to jibe all over again in the wind shadow of the huge A-frames on the outside; thinking about sharks the whole time I was on the outside (I know what the odds are, but I can't help myself) :oops: ; actually catching a few waves coming in (backside riding); being totally exhausted but feeling totally fulfilled at the end of the day.

You know - typical first 'big' day Oregon coast sailing experience. :wink:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

For those of you who are heading down to Oregon, you might want to note that the BC Ferries Coast Savers deal is on again, this time Thurs-Sun (oddly) until June 26. Normally the Coho is cheaper, but with this deal you actually save about $17 and have more than hot dogs, chilli and fake cheese to choose from in the Cafeteria. At night I am told the travel time to Olympia is roughly equivilant but with less chance of hitting wildlife on I5. Added bonus: You get to support ridiculously excessive BC ferry executive salaries.

http://www.bcferries.com/promotions/coastsaver.html
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Looks like I might make June 25 to July 3. No HR planned, just windsurf and SUP for the coast.

Hopefully all of the family moons will align!
Give'R
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I'd love to make Trip#1 (end of June, beginning of July), but I can't. Anyone else thinking of Trip#2 (end of July, beginning of August)? I want to join a good group so I can take photos/video. BWD, are you still planning to be down at this time?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

~~~~~4j~~ wrote:I'd love to make Trip#1 (end of June, beginning of July), but I can't. Anyone else thinking of Trip#2 (end of July, beginning of August)? I want to join a good group so I can take photos/video. BWD, are you still planning to be down at this time?
That's too bad about trip#1 4J :( For trip #1, I'm thinking of leaving June 16 pm and staying for 2 weeks. Hopefully hit up Flo for a day or so first, depending on the forecast.

I think I might go down again around July 23rd for 2 weeks but I'm not sure yet.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Hi 4j, I'm planning for the last 2 weeks of July give or take a day or two.
My other hobby is channel surfing
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

#1 cancelled due to Wx :?
#2 hopefully 16th 3pm boat, if not due to family, it's the 19th June for me. 1 day in HR to pick up odds and ends :arrow: 1 day Oceanside or Flo area :arrow: Gold Beach :arrow: Flo :arrow: HR Marina for Indepence Day fun :!:
#3 July 14-Aug 2, no HR, hopefully break up the drive or just do Flo to Oceanside area

these will vary depending on Wx on the coast of course :idea: would be great to hook up with you 4J. Great pix last year too, still on my screensaver all winter long :twisted: :!:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Oregon Coast June 14 - June 25 or earlier if I run out of gas

then

Hood River June 30 - July 4

Would be nice to meet up wtih other folks in HR for a Canadians Canada Day if people are around.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Looks like my dates have moved up. Probably leave Friday night June 17 and head back the 25th or 26th.
Give'R
TrunkMonkey

Heading South June 14

Post by TrunkMonkey »

Still heading south on the 14th. Hope to be in PR for 15th around lunch. If weather looks suspect may hit HR first. Does anyone know if the South Coast has been working?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Yep, and next weekend it is forecasted to start cranking Tuesday again.

I'm heading down after work on the 14th as well, hoping to make it as far as Eugene or so before hitting a rest stop for the night, then wake up and make it to PR for noon. What's your plan?

Also - What is the route everyone takes from I5 to the coast, I know last year the vets were telling me I had not chosen the quickest route.

- Tony
morewind

Post by morewind »

I'll be catching the evening Coho on Thurs June 16. Maybe start at Flo or the gorge? then, Gold Beach if the wind gods permit.

Bringing a guitar - if you play some sort of instrument, bring it along, it would be cool to trade tunes on the downtime.

I've got family clearance until July 3
TrunkMonkey

Nanmoo

Post by TrunkMonkey »

Tony I'll be stopping in Seattle to say hi to some friends but may press on to Eugene too. Stay tuned it would be cool to meet up on the road in Eugene or near there?

Ewart