Jordan River is UP FOR SALE

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
ragamuffin

Post by ragamuffin »

Yes I missed the meeting this evening but I did attend the last two at the Shirley Hall !! It is not a matter of if but when development happens creating a positive rather then a negative is my only intention.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

well it seems that there is a lack of vision from the community out here. Not that we don't care - just that a working group from the Otter Point Shirley ratepayers association is only just being formed and getting inventories of what we have etc.. Then we must prioritize values etc. to come up with a coherent vision that is adhered to by all that support it. We are in a race against developers. The community vision is a guide that will hopefully help community work with developers and CRD and hopefully we will have self-government someday ideally. This will assist in communicating with government and private land owners, and forest companies to come to decisions about wise land use. This doesn't exist now however, and there are few regulations, and the ones that exist have little teeth is seems (being accidentally overlooked). So it has been like banging your head against the wall watching the trees come down everywhere out here (even more at blueberry flats in the last few weeks) and wanting to do something. :cry:
curses - foiled again!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

No, you cannot be at every meeting...my point was just that with more info provided it doesn't boil down to "getting along" with developers as they remove all vegetation, start an irreversible urban sprawl, take their huge monies and run and then you have to deal with homeowners who want sewers, water, roads for which there is no funding or existing infrastructure.....not to mention the environmental impact on a green belt that was debated for for years, decades. This all flies in the face of all that effort.
Pasta- There were some good first steps being put forward by a lot of different interest groups, including your resident association. Well done I say, keep it up.....their enemy as you point out is time to put barriers in place while these incredibly underhanded backroom deals are flying ahead as fast as they can. I'm not sure a whole lot of stuff can be done that is legal to slow down the developers and our wonderful politician thieves :evil:

(Head Thief) Premier Gordon Campbell
Room 156 West Annex
Parliament Buildings
Victoria BC V8V 1X4
Email:

(Dis)Honourable Rich Coleman
Minister of Forests
Room 128
Parliament Buildings
Victoria BC V8V 1X4
Email:

Denise Blackwell, Chair
Capital Regional District
PO Box 1000
625 Fisgard Street
Room 156 West Annex
Parliament Buildings
Victoria BC V8W 2S6
Email:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Bean (From message board): "I haven't been following the JR issue but I just posted a map showing Crown Grants in the area - that is Crown Land transferred to private. It's from the Integrated Land Resource Registry, which is open to the public if you sign up for an ID and password." Nice work Bean : Maybe somebody with expertise (MF4 ?) could delve into the land registry & decipher what lands have changed hands ... United we can have an impact ... Lets avoid any infighting ... Politicians love to see opposition eat there own ... 8) http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/displ ... =275&pos=0
Thermals are good.

comments withdrawn due to protection of personal liability
Last edited by thankgodiatepastafobreaky on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
curses - foiled again!
JL

Post by JL »

I've windsurfed a few times @ Muire creek ... We used to drive in & I would windsurf while the kids played with there mom in the creek & along the beach, nicely out of the wind in the lee of the bluff. A few years ago cement barriers were placed along the highway so that campers wouldn't drive in. I stopped going there because: 1. It was so hot along the highway my dogs would have expired in the van. 2. It's just asking for crime to leave a vehicle unattended & out of seeing / hearing range. A co-worker used to launch his boat in the creek & paddle down to the ocean for a little fishing. Paradise lost ... Who's backyard / recreational area next ? :cry:
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

heres an interesting update for anyone not on the mailing list. could coleman get his wrist slapped for the little bro deal?

For Immediate Release

November 19, 2007

AG’s decision a victory for the public, Horgan says

VICTORIA – The decision by the province’s Auditor General to investigate the release of Tree Farm License lands around Shirley and Jordan River is a victory for everyone who has been fighting to protect the public interest, New Democrat MLA John Horgan said today.

Horgan, the NDP MLA for Malahat – Juan de Fuca, said thousands of British Columbians have been attending meetings and rallies, writing letters and signing petitions to try to convince the Campbell government to reverse their decision to release lands from Tree Farm Licenses on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Today, Auditor General John Doyle announced he will look into the release of 28,000 hectares from TFLs controlled by Western Forest Products.
JL

Post by JL »

As well Eric Lund the regional director of the Juan de Fuca electoral area says 'down zoning' allowable development to a 120 hectare (thats 264 acres) lot size limit is being considered ... I heard the developer Ender Ilkey being interviewed this a.m.. He says with limits like that how could a developer provide parkland ? I suspect he isn't purchasing this land for parks in the first place !!! It may be November but it's warm @ J.R. !!! There is a general meeting in January apparently.
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

I am writing to let you know that Western Forest Products Inc. will be holding an Open House to review the progress on their subdivision applications on lands in and around Jordan River that were released from Tree Farm Licence 25.

It is important that we all voice our opinions to Western Forest Products on their plans and the future of our coastlines and forestslands on Southern Vancouver Island. Please join me in attending this Open House on Tuesday, September 9th, between 5-8pm, Shirley Community Hall, at the corner of West Coast and Sherringham Rd (21 km past Sooke).

The Dogwood Initiative has kindly offered to provide transportation to those in need. Vehicles will be leaving from three locations at 5:30 sharp: (1) the UVic Cinecenta parking lot; (2) Vic High parking lot on Grant street in Fernwood; and, (3) Wilderness Committee at 651 Johnson. Please be there no later than 5:15pm. To secure a spot in a vehicle please RSVP Maurita Prato at 250-370-9930 extension 26.

My apologies to those of you who may have already received this notice through cross postings.

Regards,

John Horgan, MLA

Malahat-Juan de Fuca
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

From Giles:"
I attended part of the meeting in Shirley last night.

Western Forest Products had tables displaying area photos and accompanying site maps, showing the subdivisions.

Around 18:45 the meeting started with a packed hall. Several people had posters depicting clear cuts and erosion. Speakers from the audience spoke of environmental damage and concerns for their water supply. The spokesman from WFP attempted to answer.

I asked him about preserving Jordan River Park and the area at Sewers. He said that with the attempts to rezone the area, many questions are unanswered and that key groups are currently not talking.

A Channel was taping the event, so you might find a segment on the local news.

Max, the owner of Breakers Restaurant, told me that the developer-designate for JR, will soon be selling lots near the lighthouse at Shirley.

Feel free to post this message.

Giles. " Thank's Giles ... Have you people given up on J.R. & this land deal ?
Thermals are good.
Ned

Post by Ned »

The fact that WFP has a whole division in their company devoted to real estate always pops into my head when this topic comes up. It would stand to reason that it would be a substantial part of their business plan - the forestry business models, and climate, are obviously changing...

May 14
Advisory Planning Commission
this is the first chance for public input on the ILkay Development above the Juan de Fuca Marine Trail

*CAPITAL REGIONAL DISTRICT*

> *OTTER POINT* *ADVISORY PLANNING COMMISSION*

> *Thursday, May 14, 2009*

> *7:00 p.m.***

> *CRD Local Area Planning office*

> _2-6868 West Coast Road__, Sooke_

http://www.crd.bc.ca/reports/juandefuca ... /index.htm
curses - foiled again!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

The Western Forest Products land around Shirley and Jordan River is back up for sale:
Maps
Pricelist
Times Colonist Article

Hopefully the provincial government will do something useful for a change and make an offer so this land can be turned into a park. Otherwise we could have a BWD fundraiser to raise the $1.75 million to buy the point at JR :twisted:

"As some of you have read or heard on the local media, the Western Forest Products land around Shirley and Jordan River are back up for sale. There are 61 lots on the market, including 960 hectares of Jordan River waterfront and town site, Jacob Creek waterfront, 487 hectares around Shirley, four parcels by Muir Creek and 227 hectares adjacent to Sooke Potholes Regional Park.

With the downturn in the economy, it’s no surprise that forest companies are now involving themselves in the real estate market. I’ve called on the provincial government to make an offer on this land. We will not get these precious pieces of land back once the black top starts to flow.

Please let me know how you feel about this. If you agree with me that these lands should be saved, I encourage you to write to Bill Bennett, Minister of Community and Rural Development, to share your thoughts with him. He can be reached at: "
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks Dave ... My e-mail has been delivered. 8)
Thermals are good.