Wingfoiling

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I was really surprised how little I used the window just because it's sight line is behind where you are headed. It's not unlike the windows in windsurf sails which you use before a bottom turn or gybe but otherwise you're looking up around the mast. Kites were easier to spot because they are up high but the other winger downwind was really hard to keep track of. That said I still don't see a compelling reason to not have it.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

It seems that a thinner leading edge and possibly a boom like the Echo might offer more visibility than a window because your head is kind of up inside the wing.

I'm becoming much more interested in trying the wing for travel purposes. Especially with inflatable boards like the Hipe. But I think I need to see how long the equipment holds up before making the leap.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

nanmoo wrote: That said I still don't see a compelling reason to not have it.
Thanks for the input on the windows, think that is the way to go.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

The Wasp does not have a window and I miss it. At Nimpkish twice I got within feet of another kiter I didn't know was there. That is with less than 10 kites on the lake. With the wing high and cruising vis is good, but wing out front cutting upwind hard I am blind as a bat :roll:
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

MartyD wrote:The Wasp does not have a window and I miss it. At Nimpkish twice I got within feet of another kiter I didn't know was there. That is with less than 10 kites on the lake. With the wing high and cruising vis is good, but wing out front cutting upwind hard I am blind as a bat :roll:
Any word on the V2 Wasp details?
Poultry in motion
can651
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by can651 »

Its not hard to put a window/windows in the wing.
Paul
Leitch and McBride Sails.
Leitch and McBride Sailmakers
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

... especially after you have put a foil tip through it ....
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

No word on the V2 other than October release. I heard rumors of an Ocean Rodeo wing... looking forward to trying that out. Will still be able to get the Wasp in but I'm guessing nobody wants one after trying the OR!
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Maybe their new super material can be a benefit to wings even more than to kites? I think they would be crazy to miss the boat on this since I'm thinking it's going to take over kiting for most folks.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

grantmac wrote: since I'm thinking it's going to take over kiting for most folks.
There is no way that is happening. For starters it's foil only so that excludes a lot of people not interested in the risks of foiling not to mention the additional board costs. It's not as versatile, you need more wind to foil on same size gear, you can't fit the gear in a hatchback and last but not least it's just not as impressive to watch for the average lay-person who goes down to Cook street and sees people boosting airs everywhere. I agree it might cannibalize windsurfing but will stay as a compliment to kiting for kiters that SUP and don't mind hauling around a bigger board.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

I've seen the OR wings and the aluula will be a yuuuggggeee seller for them!! Weight diff vs dacron is very noticable and strength for pumping!!!

Wouldn't ever replace a good kite session but could be fun to try if I had an extra $3K
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

From what I've seen kiting is stagnant for growth and a lot more kiters and SUP guys are trying wing than windsurfers are.
Windsurfing in general is growing, mainly because of foiling.

So while it might not take over for you specifically, in the same way as I'll always have a few waveboards and sails, in general I see it taking a lot of market share from kiting but only a bit from windsurfing.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

In a normal year there are three kite schools on the island alone pushing out a couple dozen or so new students each week all summer. There are no windsurfing schools. I have to disagree with your analysis.
Mrnorthsouth
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Mrnorthsouth »

So, has anyone tried jumping yet? I saw some kelp too late and could have attempted it but was not strapped in. I feel comfortable with a front strap but not rear. I have seen online that people are jumping with only the one strap but I am hesitant to try with one. Would it be easier with a shorter mast to start with?
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Mrnorthsouth wrote:So, has anyone tried jumping yet? I saw some kelp too late and could have attempted it but was not strapped in. I feel comfortable with a front strap but not rear. I have seen online that people are jumping with only the one strap but I am hesitant to try with one. Would it be easier with a shorter mast to start with?
If my board would just arrive already (!) I'd love to start jumping. Jumping with only one strap seems like a horrible idea. You're putting all of the potential load on one limb/joint with a ton of leverage. I cringe at the idea of one strap for anything bigger than a hop. Windsurfers and kiters use two; I can't see a great argument for one strap. From what I can tell, small foils are the go for for getting the speed and impulse to go high as well as land in control. A longer mast would help drive you high for launch. A shorter mast would maybe just be a bit more forgiving.

Staying upright over the foil on landing seems key since the wing doesn't have the windsurfing sail's ability to pull you upright easily. I'm surprised the wind foiling crew haven't been exploring the air-side of things. Massive backloops in RB would be achievable for sure. Terrifying, yes, but achievable! :shock: :lol:
Poultry in motion