Sail Repairs

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Old Dude

Sail Repairs

Post by Old Dude »

My 8.0 was attacked by a park bench in a gust at Willows!! Can anyone tell me who does good work repairing sails as a whole panel will need replacing.
Happy Birthday (belated) Kus!
Geoff
windsurf247

sail repair

Post by windsurf247 »

Ahh, Willows. I don't think you're alone. I've seen a few pieces of gear abused there (and most were on land!!)
Paul Betts at Bosun's Locker is good. You can get some info on their website (link on BWD homepage). Make sure your sail is clean and dry!
Good luck.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Sail Repairs

Post by Bobson »

YES, Paul Betts at Bosuns is Excellent. He uses the best quality Scotch tape there is :shock: .... sometime even using two seperate peice if the tear is too large for just one peice....HA!! Just joking....seriously, I've had 3 repairs there myself(big clumsy oaf :( ) and they were all fantastic and quick :D .
Keen
Contributor
Contributor

sail repairs

Post by Keen »

So Paul has left Bosun's and they're not doing windsurfing sail repairs anymore.

Does anyone know if Paul is still doing this? or is there someone else that has taken this up locally?

I ripped the mast sleeve of one of my sails recently.

thanks
Keen(er)
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I had been going to post with the same question. Mast sleeves can have a big tear and still function fine (my 7.5 has been like this for a year, Paul didn't think it worth fixing) and I need at least two new monofilm panels in the old 7.5. I'd heard someone's wife did repairs?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I understand Crabber's girlie does repairs on kites etc., maybe sails too.

I have many times repaired torn luff sleeves by iron-on patches. Get them at any fabrics store in many colors to match things up. Cut corners round so as not to have an easy peel-off target.

Paul has moved to the sail locker, US Sails?? not sure, just behind the airport I believe. I know they already before he got there did sail repairs, a bit more $$ tho 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
BigD
Website Donor
Website Donor

UK sails

Post by BigD »

It's UK sails

http://www.ukhalsey.ca/

I had my old 8.0 Retro repaired there where a batten busted through the mast sleeve, it think it was around $40? Unfortunately the next time I took it out at IV a wave crashed though the main panel while I was messing with the downhaul. Won't do that again....

Morley, I've seen your tuck taped sail, I think it's time to let it go :wink: . I bought a 2005 Retro 8.0 from windsurfing-direct and it has way better shape and wind range than my old 2001.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hey, that sail was brand new in the fall of 2003. Its had a hard life I'm afraid, being pulled over barnacle-covered reefs with big shoredump etc. But it hasn't been left in the sun so it shouldn't be UV brittle yet - but yes, its near the end of its life I fear... If I could nurse another season out of it with a few repairs I'd be happy.
can651
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by can651 »

Yes. I make the move to UK Sails last August.
PH is 250 656 8843

Paul.
jump'njibe'njim

Post by jump'njibe'njim »

You might try hand stitching with polyester thread. I've had to do it a few times and it works pretty well. You can even get thread colored to match (Capitol Iron?). Don't overtension the thread; just get the two torn edges to touch. I fixed a lime green sleeve on a favourite sail and you can't hardly notice it.
FUN