Weather at Lake Nitinaht

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

elevationkiteboarding

Re: Weather at Lake Nitinaht

Post by elevationkiteboarding »

After I found the valve to turn off the rain, the day cleared up. Great day on the lake, some up and down. Big loll mid afternoon, but picked up after a short pause In fact the wind got better, more consistent and stronger.
For Canada day, we expect strong conditions. Good temperature gradient between the coast and inland, plus a strong wind warning form the Marine Forecast for the Juan de Fuca Strait west entrance.
Put that all together and we end up with a forecast that calls for strong conditions.
Come and see us at the Elevation Kite and Wing Center and then go play with the wind…
elevationkiteboarding

Post by elevationkiteboarding »

We have the answer to the question, how important are the winds off the coast of Vancouver Island. Apparently they have no influence on our winds. Monday and Tuesday we had a strong west wind at the Juan de Fuca west entrance, 15 to 25 kts, and I assumed that those winds provided additional fuel for our winds. Yesterday, Wednesday the winds at the entrance were calm, only 5 to 15 kts. I was thinking, because the temperature gradient was good, 6C, but not exceptional, we would have a moderate day. Not so. Yesterday, Wednesday, despite the missing west wind, conditions on the lake were strong, and lasted late into the evening.
Issue resolved, right? We only look at the temperature difference, nothing else. Well, I don’t think it is that simple. We are talking about the weather. Nothing is ever that simple and straight forward. But I do think, as probably everyone who has been playing on the lake knows, the driver of the wind engine on Lake Nitinaht are the thermals.
A quick plug for our Demo day on July 13 and 14. Elevation Kite and Wing Center is planning a big event for that weekend, don’t miss it.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Loving the daily reports and musings.
A strong temperature gradient combined with presence/absence of coastal fog are what really makes it blow strong (or not so strong). There are ways to forecast fog too, but the easiest is to look in the morning at the Visible and Fog imagery available on BWD "Imagery" tab. So today for example, no real fog bank, so probably not nukin nitnat. But!..as you say it's weather and there's so many variables and idiosyncrasies that a perfect "bang on" forecast is very hard to nail down!
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu