38 seconds of airtime....

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
x3

38 seconds of airtime....

Post by x3 »

if you havent seen this clip yet its worth a sticky beak <peek>

http://www.naish.tv/home_tv.html click on serious airtime
jump higher - hang longer
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Bobson

Post by Bobson »

Okay, that was pretty INSANO-VILLE :shock: !!!

I don't have sound.....any idea what size kite, insane-dude and how much wind that was..???
x3

Post by x3 »

sound on this clip is a telephone interview with the guy flying the kite after the event....he mentions the big black clouds over head and how he just keeps getting sucked up. had some skydiving skills so he was trying to pick his spot to land and get out of the thermal. he landed hard but walked away nothing broken.......yeah insane ride.....
jump higher - hang longer
RobP

Post by RobP »

Hooly dam, I thought it was fake the first time I saw it, just some doctered footage with a little green screening. but after the phone interview ... That clip is pretty wack.
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

RobP wrote:Hooly dam, I thought it was fake the first time I saw it, just some doctered footage with a little green screening. but after the phone interview ... That clip is pretty wack.
It's real - I met the guy when I was in Hawaii. It was well documented at the time, too. He is a super strong dude - I think most people in that situation would have been really hurt if not killed. Takes a lot of strength to hook in while being yanked up!
Vive et Ama
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

from the dvd '13_daze' ... cool kite flic ... daWayne's got a copy

yep, that dude is lucky to be alive i say
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Didn't we have this 'conversation' last year? That clip (and a few stories besides) has kept me from seriously thinking about kiting. Wonder if something similar could happen at Cook? Updraft lift from the cliff combined with a thermal pocket ballooning up from the park behind on a hot day? Listening to the interview, I wonder if it wouldn't of happened if he hadn't powered the kite a bit to jump over someone else's kite lines? Could he have held on or dumped it when hit by the updraft if it was depowered to start with?

There was one even longer loft someone posted here of a guy on a lake too - no injuries that one though...
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Im just thankful that through my patronage of Naish products i can support such fine entertainment venues such as Naish TV. bring on the darwin candidates! :D
Toner

Air time

Post by Toner »

No way the guy was lucky.
rip it up