Where to go in December - all inclusive place for a week

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
SisterGoldenHairSurprise

Tam and Ger?

Post by SisterGoldenHairSurprise »

Tam and Ger what are your recommendations for the all-inclusive? I need a location and a travel agent now . . . and an updated passport.
TomS

Post by TomS »

Firstly Christmas is peak season anywhere not just for price but also service.

Baja has some good percentages for both enough wind for Windsurfing and if it's light for proper certified kitesurfing lessons. Vela in Los Barilles has all inclusives with other activities. LaVentana is more rustic but has 4 or 5 windsurfing/kitesurfing resorts and is somehat less expensive. Baja Joe's, Captain Kirk's, Ventana Windsurfing, Mr Bill's.

......for access best bet is to fly to Los Cabos, Barilles is an hour by taxi or bus....getting to LaPaz is best for Ventana

I'd suggest think about dropping your non sailing friends, save some money on lodging, extend your trip dates and camp in Barrilles at Martin Verdugo's or camp on the beach at the LaVentana Campsite. Perhaps you can arrange some Vancouver Island sailors to pick you guys up in LaPaz.

As far as most big hotel operations (Cancun and such) go they might have windsurfing gear, but if it gets a little windy they don't really want their guests on the water.

Hawaii has it's best wind in the summer, winter has big swell and waves and somewhat less wind.
Every day of work takes 8 hours off your life.
SisterGoldenHairSurprise

Thank you for the advice Tom but I can't drop my non-windsurfing companions - they are family and part of the reason for the trip - and I can't extend my time away - I am actually lucky to get away at all! So . . . any specific suggestions to resorts people have been to and travel agents that they were happy with?
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Check trip advisor for all the resorts in the Riviera Maya. Some of the bigger ones are Xel-ha and Xcaret although we went for a small cheap 3 star one off the beach right in Playa del Carmen which was fine. There are dozens of resorts - basically you get what you pay for although to me bigger is definitely not better. Playa itself is a very pleasant and very safe tourist town.

From Playa you can also go for a day trip to Cozumel by ferry, where the diving is good.

Stear clear of Cancun itself, a tourist travesty.

As I said, wind is good south of Cancun, and it's warmer and way more developed and family oriented than Baja.
Signature Block.
Tam & Ger

Post by Tam & Ger »

Agreed on MattDog, the Cancun Area is an excellent choice especially if your going with non- wind loving people.

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya resort, 20 minutes outside of Playa Del Carmen.. Had a 2km stretch beach all to ourself with 18knots/and little waves. No one had ever seen kiting, so it was virtually a virgin beach :) We even had room service pick up our gear and drive us on to the beach. They were so enthusiastic about it, I am certain if they knew how, they would have set our gear up for us. Like you, we went with non wind family. You may not get wind everyday, but that is the trade off. At least they won't hate you for bringing them somewhere that only suits your needs.

Also, the water temperature is MUCH warmer than Baja, so if the rest of your party is not interested in wind, at least they can still play in the water. Also, there are endless excursions in the area. So while you are taking kiting lessons, they can be snorkling a local eco reserve.

All inclusives are nice, but Big Bucks for the 5 star. If your not fussy a 3 star would be perfectly ok. A bonus with the all inclusive is the amount of extra time we had because we did not have to cook or find a restaurant.

When we go again, we are going to catch a flight without booking accomodations. Catch a Taxi at the Cancun airport and head to Playa Del Carmen. There are so many little hotels and resorts in the area that you can strike a deal with. Though that may be difficult with a larger group.

In my humble opinion, for an 'all rounded' vacation, I would choose Mexico over Hawaii any day. The people are amazing, the service is excellent and depending on where you stay, you generally do not need to rent a car as the bus service is frequent.

As for this year.. we are heading to Brazil for 5 glorious weeks. If you can ditch your family, join us, as the more the merrier.

That is my two bits.. whatever you do, relax and enjoy with sun and wind when you get away, Have fun!!!

Tammie
SisterGoldenHairSurprise

Great information Tammie, thank you - I wish I could get away for 5 weeks to Brazil . . . I could quit my job, sell my house, abandon my children . . . but I guess for now I'll just be jealous and listen to wonderful stories about other people's adventures.
tammie

Post by tammie »

haha.. that is funny. For many years, we have done the same, live vicariously through others travels. Heard stories of Snowbirds, kiting in tropical paradise and world adventurers! This is the first time in our life that we are able to get away on an extended vacation. Long overdue.

If you can get away to Yucatan, I know you will have just as good a time, only shorter. Its still cheap enough that an annual retreat is possible.

We really are the rich kids of the world ;)

As a side note; on our way down last year we met a fellow that travels to Yucatan all the time.. his tried and true method... go standby, pay $300 for your flight, catch a taxi to Playa and bargain for a room for $20 / night. Says he does that every year at a fraction of the cost the usual gringo's pay :) Hard to do with a group, but if it was just yourself and your mate, it would be possible. Next year perhaps, with your kite gear in tow.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

One of my hols there was $800 for absolutely everything for a week. Last minute charter to Cancun, beach cabana in tulum 1km south of the ruins, right on the best beach on the coast. Tres rustic with pretty basic restaurant food.
Signature Block.
SisterGoldenHairSurprise

Hi Matt,

Do you remember the name of the resort you stayed in?

One of my big brothers recommended the Club Maeva Tulum located on Xpu Ha Beach in the Mayan Riviera. According to the pictures they have decent windsurfing equipment although there is no mention about kiteboarding.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

No I dont recall. Call Ikarus kitesurf and speak to Foka or Fuko (yeah really) for advice. If you dont kitesurf now you need lessons.

http://www.kiteboardmexico.com/

PS Puerto Morelos is in a big swamp and might have tons of bugs ...
Signature Block.
SisterGoldenHairSurprise

Dominican?

We have looked into 1 week packages - around $2,000 each for the Mayan Riveria . . . but we can go for almost 1/2 of that to the Dominican - What do people have for experiences there in December? Requirements for the vacation are (prioritized by the various individuals): warm weather, drinks poolside (or beachside), unlimited buffets, and windsurfing/kiteboarding.
Vildernessgurl

Post by Vildernessgurl »

The wind seems like the most important consideration :wink:

Eric Sanford writes in the new Windsurfing Mag that Jan-Mar and June to Aug are the best wind months in the DR. He also writes its way to much fun there! Canyoneering is supposed to be amazing! We're talkin Cabarete...

Have you thought about Margarita? How's the passport coming?

I'd like to come with you guys 8)
Vildernessgurl

Post by Vildernessgurl »

http://www.jfeehan.net/Cabarete/cabarete.html is an article on D.R. WS...

I searched rec.wind or http://groups.google.com/group/rec.windsurfing

for info.. Sounds like Margarita has better intermediate friendly conditions : )
SisterGoldenHairSurprise

I think I'll wait until next summer to go to the Dominican then . . . which was tentatively planned anyway. Venezuela sounds good . . . I'll check prices . . . actually, since I'm at work today and still drenched from my bike ride in anything sounds good!

I need to get the passport photos done still . . . I wish they let me sign my own passport (since I can sign others) - I need to get on it.

Since I've figured out just who Vilderness girl is - I would love you to join us!
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

I remember our all-inclusive hotel in Playa - "Club Bananas" believe it or not. Pretty basic, pleasant 10 minute walk to their private beach, or shuttle every 1/2 hour.

Try itravel2000.com. you should be able to do better than $2000 each if ur taste is not too rich.

I like Maya Riveria way better than DR where I went as well and probably wouldn't return. The main windsurfing strip is party central - a litany of nightly booming bars within earshot of most hotels. The main road is at times deafening. When the creeks and rivers flood after a good rain, you are windsurfing through plastic bags, tampons and floaties - I'm not joking, its filthy and unhygenic. Kitebeach area may be a better choice,

but I think PLaya has more to offer. Way nicer beaches, pretty water, warmer water and air, and far better conditions for a beginner/intermediate. In February you really needed a shortie in DR, and the shore break can snap your mast.
Signature Block.