Skateboardsailing...

Post links to cool kiteboarding or windsurfing sites with photos, videos or technique.
Vildernessgurl

Skateboardsailing...

Post by Vildernessgurl »

http://www.windskating.com/videos_e.htm

Whatever you call it... its insanely fun! Having never skateboarded before, I was doing all KINDS of tricks skateboardsailing by the second day! (of training by a pro coach at Hatteras) :D

SO... now, I NEED some old booms, masts and sails (3.0 - 4.4) any old unsailable stuff kickin around????? :wink:
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

When I lived in Vancouver I was doing it almost every weekend during the winter. The event site next to Science World was the best place - huge concrete field with decent pavement.

Check e-bay for that kind of stuff. Incredible amount of junk for a junk price. Also for the board itself department store skateboard is no good - bearings and wheels are too crappy, and the deck is too short.

You'll need a longboard. Long deck anyway.

Go to CheapScates they may have something, but buy a good set of bearings anyway - it'll save you some injuries.

Good Luck
Cancer must die!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Yeah I had my share of pain on that thing as well. That's why I'm saying new bearings, 70mm long boards wheels, and tight tracks :wink:
Cancer must die!
voodmon

a point to remember...

Post by voodmon »

once upon a time there was a guy, an amazing sailboard builder from annapolis maryland...craig stroetzel i believe...notice ..i said was...he died sailing a skateboard...needless to say..he was'nt wearing a helmet and yes he died from head injuries...just a word to the wise especially since pavement is much harder than water...nuff said...
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I'm waiting for the 4 wheel drive model so you can do it on the turf at all these schoolyards in winter when things are nice and wet/muddy :P
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Vildernessgurl

Post by Vildernessgurl »

Well, I guess what I found so fun about the skateboardsailing I did (totally kooked out with safety gear by the way) was that it was in a small paved turnaround. It wasn't about going fast in a reach or anything, it was about getting enough speed to jibe, then switchstance helitack, then 360 then into a duck jibe.... :D I just sailed around in circles trying to see how many times I could, without putting my feet down! (5 full circles after 4 days training)

In my most delirious dreams I'll do those moves on my sailboard.... but for now, learning the sail flips, the carving of the board and building the 'muscle memory' with the longboard is frankly, addictive!!