Kiting on Orcas Island

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
chemosavi

Kiting on Orcas Island

Post by chemosavi »

If ever any of you folks over on Vancouver island ever stop by Orcas Isalnd we have a natural venturi in Eastsound that can have excellent spring, summer and fall conditions with north or south winds and a good beach launch with westerlies. Eastsound has to be done with a boat launch of which I will assist and it is always better if you can stay upwind. So buzz me if you want to kite on Orcas @ 360-661-4609. I am self employed and can go out at a moments notice if the wind is up. I'm up the hill from the sculptures I've made on the highway into town.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Orcas Road/Boat trip

Post by KUS »

Hey, great offer :) . Perhaps everyone is so shocked that nobody has responded to ya. Will you throw windsurfers off your boat as well?

How's the crabbing and pubs over there? Found little on a web search except killer ferry rates..... One day I'll roadtrip over. When you see a good day, note the weather so we know what to look for. [smilie=beer.gif]

Hey Diver, you in?? :twisted: Cheers to you. Kus
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

Sounds great! I am curious as to how you launch the kites from the boat, lay out the lines etc. Look forward to your response.

Cheers
chemosavi

Post by chemosavi »

With a tube the rider swims up wind and at an angle to the boat while he undoes his lines. When the lines are out and certifiably not twisted, he signals the boat person to let go of the kite. Landing is done with the boat operator steering to the kite and catching it. That's probably the harriest part of the deal. With my ram airs I just throw the lines into the water and then fill up the kite and throw it in the water. I drop the kite near the boat when I'm done, unhook and swim to the boat and then go get the kite. After a few times it becomes rote. Was out yesterday for three hours in 10-12 knots on a FS Titan 18.5 with a northerly blowing. Very flat water. Good fun.