Gordo's risky parking area

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Wingnut

Gordo's risky parking area

Post by Wingnut »

You know how people are often saying that the parking situation at Gordon's seems kinda dangerous? Well, I was parked there today waiting for the wind to fill in, sitting on the beach taking pics when I heard a truck coming around the corner then metal grating on pavement and then a big crash. I jumped up to see acloud of dust that hid the vehicles from sight, and as I ran there the dust settled to reveal that my truck, which had the parking brake set, had been moved about 25' forward by the impact and there was a completely smashed up small pickup sitting in the eastbound lane facing the wrong way. Then I saw the tow truck stopped by Martin's driveway and I realized what happened. My truck is a write-off (and I had just spent $380 on brake repairs 2 hrs. earlier. :x If that had happened on Mon. when there were 15 cars parked there and people standing around it could've been ugly.
PS. I forgot to mention that the wrecked truck was being carried by the tow truck and it came off in the middle of the corner about 50 ft. behind my truck and then slammed into it. :shock:
Last edited by Wingnut on Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JL

Post by JL »

Glad no one was hurt. Sorry about your truck Don. I just mentioned Monday how gratfull I was to be parking @ Martins.
Thermals are good.
Martin

Post by Martin »

:( Sorry to read about your pickup. Wonder if the other vehicle was going west or east? They tend to pick up a head of steam coming down the hill across tugwell creek. Glad you are okay though.
My worry has always been the thought of someone getting into their driver's side with the door open and then getting the door taken off! Don't even want to think about what would happen to the driver.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Yes, ditto, glad no one was hurt and sorry about your truck. That sucks. Hopefully someone will think about posting some more SLOW DOWN signs near that corner. Although that probably wouldn't help. I mean how dumb/drunk do you have to be to go off the road there? It's not that hard a corner :? Lucky no one was killed.

Hope your gear survived...?
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Don. Unfortunately, this has happened before and will happen again. A couple of years ago an eastbound pickup truck failed to complete the corner and went into the bush just past the hydro pole - where I normally park! I have also had gravel sprayed on my pickup from idiots driving too fast around that corner.
morewind

Post by morewind »

Dang :( :shock: Really sorry about your truck Don. But, damn lucky that neither you or anybody else got taken out.

was the tow truck hauling the vehicle that hit your Jimmy?

Maybe we should make a roadside sign to put out on windy days. "Slow - event in progress ahead", "slow down, free beer tasting ahead", or something like that. Stash it in the bush at the turn-around and put it out on sailing days. Last person leaving re-hides the sign? sounds good on paper, but might be easy to forget to re-hide it...
JL

Post by JL »

CAUTION HATE ZONE !!! Image
Thermals are good.
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Sorry about your truck, man.

I hope your gear is survived. Could you tell us what happened next? How bad is the damage?

If you need a ride to the beach while your car is in repair give me a call.
Cancer must die!
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

I'm pretty sure my truck is a write-off. The right side has no damage - you can't tell that it was in an accident. The rear left corner took the biggest hit and the force put some crinkles in the body on the left side basically shortening the left side to the point where neither of the doors on that side will open. The tailgate and bumper were smucked and the rear glass broken. Also, the tranny was leaking fluid rapidly and it appeared the impact drove the driveshaft into the trans. breaking the housing.

PS. Not a scratch on my gear. :)
asscrack

Smashed Truck

Post by asscrack »

Sorry to hear about your truck Don.Glad you weren't in it at the time.Hope that you have collision.Shitty ,Bad friggen corner that.All the same,sounds like the tow truck operator was going a bit to fast,and maybe not connected properly.I was parked there all day Monday".Man"!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

Glad to hear you and your gear made it.
They'll give you money for a new truck,
but they probobly wouldn't have replaced your gear, or
only a portion of it.

Weird to think how different things could be. If the world
worked just a little different for you, or the people in the other
vehicle that day. eh!

Oh yeah, what happened to the other guy(s).?
Was it the tow truck that hit your truck, or what he was
towing.
Giles Thorp

Gordo Crash

Post by Giles Thorp »

Hi Don. Glad to hear that you and your gear are fine. Jimmy told me about this yesterday. Now you have the joy of looking at candidates to replace your GMC. If there is anything in the Fairfield area you would like me to check, call 480-0058. Giles.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

So the truck that slammed into your truck came off of the hoist and under it's own steam rammed into yours? Jeez. That's freaky. Seems like the Tow Truck company bears some responsability for keeping these things attached!
I wish my TOW was longer!
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

Ahhh.... I get it.
lame.