JP Durability / Model Comments?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Windsurfish

JP Durability / Model Comments?

Post by Windsurfish »

Hi,

I have heard mixed static about how durable JP boards are, that they have easily chipped epoxies, etc. etc. I sailed a few last year at Corpus Christi, and liked them lots (it is mud/sand so not like our cobble shores). Feedback from local owners would be most appreciated. Also, any advice on shapes etc is also appreciated.... I am interested in a >25 kn board for salt water sailing in the winter in the 80-85L range...
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

I love my JP's, they are super durable and some of the toughest yet lightest production boards on the market. Check out http://www.jp-australia.com/2006/main.p ... 25e1b22905 this page for the construction of one you're probably interested in. I would go for the Freestyle Wave 78 or the Real World Wave 83. If you can afford it go for the Pro Editions of either. PM me if you want more info.
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
can651
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by can651 »

JP boards are by far some of the best for durablity. You can break any board out there but the JP line holds up as well as or much better than the other production boards on the market. The FSW 85 is the single best production board I have ever tried.
ozy

Post by ozy »

pro models are carbon/kevlar
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

ive liked most of the the JP's ive tried and my old 251 wave is a great board. Im impressed the deck is still rock solid under the straps after 5 years of jumping however the rails and especially the nose are not too tough. (luckily those are easy repairs) Like all boards there are good ones and bad ones. JP boards come from cobra thailand just like lots of other lightweight epoxy boards that also have kevlar, carbon, wood, what have you. If you look at disasterpiece theatre at the boardlady you might note the JP's are well represented. The FSW84 was my favorite board i tried in maui this spring. i didnt like the RWW90 as much it had sort of a bouncy corky ride i thought though i certainly could have experimented with the mast track more than i did.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

So, Ozy, what is your updated opinion of these boards, considering your recent incident? Was the one you broke last week a pro model? What happened? What is the warranty like on JP boards? It sounds like you should get a prize for breaking one, or at least a new board.
ozy

JP

Post by ozy »

Pro models are much weaker than others,a sacrifice of light weight over durability.A regular model is on the way.Stay tuned.As to my warranty it's a wait and see,i sent my pictures of the damage to the shop i got it from,Isthmus sailboards.
Windsurfish

Can you upload the photos?

Post by Windsurfish »

I hear that you have found a way to clone boards? Sorry about the break. I'm sure it involved some kind of fun... :) It was a good day out there - see you on the beach... Chris :)