Bic board repair

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
mhv

Bic board repair

Post by mhv »

I have an older Bic Techno with a small crack on the edge of the board,near the nose. :( Does anyone know what material this board is made of,or how it can be repaired? I,ve tried West epoxy,but this was a short lived fix-I guess the materials were not compatible! Any suggestions ? Thanks :D
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

I did ok with epoxy fixes on my old e-rock and tempo, i think the techno construction is the same. there is plastic skin on there that you really need to sand down first for the epoxy to stick. For a small rail ding or split you can also go with marinetex or even JBWeld. dont use poly resin because it will eat the eps foam in there. best of luck!
asscrack

Bic

Post by asscrack »

:) Bic has eps [Expanded styrofoam core},with a impregnated core mat fiberglass material.With a plastic skin.Sand plastic till slightly rough.Must fill crack with epoxy and micro ballons to thicken.Then glass over with various sized pieces of 4 ounce cloth{not mat}or 6 ounce.after cloth goes on,stretch clear plastic over area and tape tight smoothing out bubblesLet dry untill hard peel away. for cello finish.*****DO NOT USE POLYESTER FIBERGLASS RESIN.****MUST BE EPOXY*** eps foam will be eaten otherwise.West system should work,only when bone dry.Epoxy putty if crack is small,works fine.You can use a variety of types for this.I use a type which is not affected by water.Industrial Fiberglass and paints has supplies.Make sure board is very dry,stand upright to drain excess water,somewhere warm.Put newspaper under to see if any water comes out,before beginning repair.Hope this info helps,cheers. :roll:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

If it's a poly board put 5200 marine silicone over it and forget about it, cures in 48 hrs, like shit to a blanket. I found all the other stuff cracks and falls off. 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I patched a crack in the seam along the nose of a Vivace 290 a few years back after the pro repair opened up and let water in. I used epoxy putty and it held pretty good. You do have to sand away the plastic shell to make it effective though.
I wish my TOW was longer!