Gear Insurance FYI

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Mattdog

Gear Insurance FYI

Post by Mattdog »

My house insurance is with ING Direct. They can "List" my kitesurfing gear for any type of theft (e.g. from car) for $120/year with no deductible. I don't know if it covers losing a kite or board while on the water ...
Signature Block.
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

Good to know.
Thanks Mattdog.
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

I have the same for my gear, and no they don't cover loss or damage as a result of use
Cancer must die!
asscrack

Insurance

Post by asscrack »

:D Great to know,where to get insurance.A few thieves out there."Off with thier hands,I say"! :twisted:
Last edited by asscrack on Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

And what if your gear is not "listed"?

The small print of the policy I was considering years ago made it clear that my kiting gear would fall under the broad catagory of sporting equipment. I was happy with the provisions ($200 deductable, $5000 limit). This included theft from car etc. There was no need to get "listed" or to purchase any kind of rider or extra coverage.

If you ask an insurance company, they will almost always (surprise surprise) suggest buying extra coverage. My question is, why buy extra coverage if you already paid for the protection in your general policy?

I do understand that the underwriters differ in their coverage, so it pays to read the small print carefully. My experience is the person selling is often ignorant and simply wants to sell you more coverage.

buyer beware!

Power to the consumers who compare, so thanks for the info Mattdog.

Cheers,

Paul
Vive et Ama
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

when you list it there is no deductible - which is usually $500. Plus regular coverage for sporting goods maxes at something like $1000 or $2000. for $120 it;s nice to know your $4000 gear is covered if someone lifts your car.

Deductibles went up sharply after 9/11 rendering much insurance redundant for most stuff that's stolen. But if our house burns down we still get a sh*t load.
Signature Block.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR GEAR :!: First thing they ask for if you don't have receipts. I regularly cruise into my garage and basement and snap a few (well, all my stuff actually) and put them into an "insurance folder"

I made a claim for damaged gear in the past, they only wanted the pix and cost estimates for replacement from stores 8) But....I always had to pay deductibles, never heard of ANY claims without it, wow :shock:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....