Brazil locations

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
wind puppet

Brazil locations

Post by wind puppet »

Does anyone have any good web pages or locations for good kiteboarding spots in Brazil. I'm heading down in Feburary and was looking at the Northeast coastal area. I'm looking for a good spot for someone who will be going up wind but needing non-wave riding for now :shock: cheers!
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

if you don't need waves, check out Prea. Also, www.kiteforum.com will have much discussion on plenty of spots in Brasil. Just check the archives.

Have fun!
Vive et Ama
Graham

Post by Graham »

Check out FORTALEZA!!!! Miles and miles of sand dunes / deserted beaches and a steady 20-25 kts of wind. I think there's a couple kite schools, who'll also follow you on a planned downwinder and bring you back.
The Dogs Bollucks

Post by The Dogs Bollucks »

Cumbuco (near Fortaleza) ... has a couple of flat water spots and a spectacular shallow lagoon that would be perfect for learning ( Can get rediculously busy in a small area however )..... Jericoacoara ( a few hours west of Fortaleza )is a cool little dune town from which you can hire dune buggies to take you to some other flat water lagoons .
Closer to Rio is Cabo Frio with a huge flatwater lagoon called Araruama .... thats supposed to be pretty good as well .
bricktop

Post by bricktop »

Take along a 4m kite for those 50+ knot days in Praia (NE brasil). The beer is super cold and cheap, well worth going to. Just to note the ENTIRE coast of NE brasil is kiteable. That's a few thousand miles of sandy totally deserted beaches.
Good luck
bricktop

Post by bricktop »

http://www.pipa.com.br/conteudo/esporte ... esurf.html
Here's a place thats loads of fun, and has kiting, surfing, you name it.
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

You will likely want to read http://www.skypilotkiteboarding.com/mod ... le&sid=177

Keep in mind that the 'windy' season at its peak from October through December (the author visited during peak winds). At some point ( usually sometime in January), the winds drop off significantly as the 'rainy' season begins. In most years the same spots that are 8m/10m in early January become 12m/14m by early Feb, and 14/16 by late Feb onwards.

For that reason, as the article indicates, you may want to head west from Fortaleza towards Jeri/Prea to ensure you have enough wind. The best spots you have to discover, there are no websites for them!

Visiting during the transition makes it difficult to choose the appropriate kites. If at all possible, bring a flat kite! We used everything from 8-14m, and we left by mid Feb.

The article is great, and the country is wonderful. Don't forget lots of sunscreen, you may need a mortgage to buy it there...

Enjoy!
Vive et Ama
wind puppet

Post by wind puppet »

Thanks for everyones input!! Now for the logistical part! We will have to post some pictures upon return!
cheers,
wind puppet :D
wind puppet

Thanks

Post by wind puppet »

thanks to all of those who gave me some insight to Brazil, I have cut and pasted it for when that time eventually comes.