What is Puerto Vallarta, Mexico like for kiting in Jan

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Kiteboard Chick 7501

What is Puerto Vallarta, Mexico like for kiting in Jan

Post by Kiteboard Chick 7501 »

Quick Question: What is Puerto Vallarta, Mexico like around mid-end Jan for kiting? Is there a safe beach for launching? Is it even kitable? Are there rip currents? Is it more of a beg/intermediate kiting area or only for experts? Is there typically flat water or waves that time of year? Thanks
Kiteboard Chick 7501

One more question about Puerto Vallarta

Can you rent kite gear... at least board? Don't want to drag a ton of stuff with me if only going for a couple weeks.
yeahmon

vallarta

Post by yeahmon »

hey, Ihave been there and have a few friends that live in Matzatland too and the wind is questionable ,not much and when you get it ,its big kite material, thats what Ihave deduced.
what
Kiteboard Chick 7501

Puerto Vallarta

Thanks for the info... really want to go to Vietnam or Tahiti. :D ..but husband was maybe going to go to a conference there....now he is not so sure, which if indeed there is not much wind might be for the best. (was told that we could fly over to Baja for 50.00 which was anohter option... but now no clue as to what to do). :? Will keep working on it. Thanks :)
AirushDM

Post by AirushDM »

I've been to Puero Vallarta many times in January and February. Nuevo Vallarta is where I stayed and is the best for kiting. Long, sandy beach. Every afternoon the winds kick up. 12-25 knots. Sideshore. There is some surf to get through, 1-5ft average. I'd say intermediate conditions.
Surfing in the morning, kiting in the afternoon. Cervezas after. Perfect.
The all inclusives are great there.
There are no rentals so get a board bag and bring your gear. I use a surfboard bag to hold a board, two kites, harness, and helmet. I fold and duct tape the ends to meet the length restiction.
:D
Kiteboard Chick 7501

Nuevo Vallarta!

Oh that's interesting, as in fact my husband's perhaps conference would be in Nuevo Vallarto... I just said Puerto Vallarto as I didn't think anyone would know about it... as for myself have been to Puerto but never Nuevo. What did you think? Am still interested in Vietnam and Thailand... but there are lots of variables with all three plans so trying to figure out what is best for winter vacation. Thanks for the info though, and the advice on bringing a surf board bag! KC 7501