Poor Student Cant Afford Kiteboarding Lessons!! HELP

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Cman123

Poor Student Cant Afford Kiteboarding Lessons!! HELP

Post by Cman123 »

Hey I just bought myself a used 9.5m liquid force kite. Im very new to the sport. I have very little money cause Im 17 and saving for college so I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could give free lessons or tips or just something for cheap! I dont have a board yet but Im gonna be making one...(like I said, Im a poor student :cry: ). Anything would help. I live like 10 minutes from island view beach.

Thanks!!!
Last edited by Cman123 on Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

kazillion threads on this site alone, more on the net and in your user manual and kite videos, use them. Study on the beach. Ask your help there.

Although kites are getting more userfriendly, wind/water knowledge weighs heavily into the learning process. With it maybe you can learn by trial & error. Without it, is your life or maybe just your legbone worth less than $600 :?: :roll: Hindsight is 20/20
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Toner

Learning curve

Post by Toner »

I highly recomend lessons, things can go bad so fast, I'v seen it, Marie Evolution kiteboarding or Dwanye Strong kiteboarding at Nitinat can help, At least ground lessen, Trainer kite time. lessons are with smaller kites to fast track your learning curve and your confience. Jet ski are used for more time on the water, giving you more bang for the buck.
Start out with 300 towards lessens, your life is worth far more.
Also People on the beach are more helpful if you have taken lessons.
Tony
rip it up
Kite Kook

Kiteboarding Safety Thread

Post by Kite Kook »

Start by reading this thread http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2072

Then make sure you get, at an absolute mininum, land based flying lessons. You should be able to find someone to give this to you really cheap, if not for free. Hell, if you can't find anyone else, *I'll* give you a decent land lesson for $30.

You will never regret becoming very proficient with flying the kite first. You may deeply regret, however, skimping on this stage...

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions!
Vive et Ama
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

This is a good site for info.

http://kitesurfingschool.org/

Lessons are highly recommended, or at the very least, someone who is familiar with the sport to kite/learn with.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
JL

Post by JL »

I will be a Is. view beach daily. P.M. if it's breezy & I will cheerfully help. 652-3005
Thermals are good.
colin

Post by colin »

I don't think that your liquid force kite is the best kite to be learning on......are they even still in the game? I learned without any lessons and the first time I put my kite up at Nitwit lake I almost killed myself!! Verry scarry!

It sounds like you need to learn some respect for the capabilities of these kites. Example: My kite can lift me (200lbs) 30ft straight up in less than one second. Now imagine if you were starting out and on the beach about to launch, if that amount of energy is project horizontally rather than vertically and you don't know what to do incase shit hits the fan! I am an experienced kiter, if you did not know how to handle that amount of power and force while you were standing on the becah with ROCKS, LOGS, TREES, CLIFFS, PEOPLE, DOGS, AND KELP around what do you think might happen?

I am a full beleiver that anyone can learn how to kiteboard and power to you if you are going to do it without lessons BUT I do think that you need some friends who are already in the sport to get you started off safely.

Go down to Dallas Road, watch the kiters for several hours, pay attention to what they are doing with their kite, and ask lots of questions.
kite+waves=!
asscrack

Lessons Are nessessary.

Post by asscrack »

:shock: At our only beach.Kite surfing lessons are a nessessary thing.No experienced kiter will launch you without you having had them.Days gone by were different.We are very fortunate that no one has been killed or mamed permantly.Soooooooooooooo.This means you! Or out comes the needle.Do everyone a favour,and follow common sense.Pretend that you are back in school and need to graduate badly.Study hard,pay heed,before the deed. :shock: :oops:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
JL

Post by JL »

Island view with light wind ... Today would be good...~ 8 knots. :)
Thermals are good.