San Francisco

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
eric

San Francisco

Post by eric »

Hey folks,

i'm a newbie, as in can just stay upwind sometimes, and i'm going to San Fran for a couple days at the end of the month. Wondering what locations in the bay area and what to bring. Full/half body wetsuit? kite sizes? or even a good contact for when i get there.
TIA
Eric
sonicspectrum

Post by sonicspectrum »

What's up Eric - John from Ocean Rodeo here. Couple thoughts:

1) The bay is cold, but not quite as cold as Cook Street. You'll want atleast a 4mm suit, if you are spending a lot of time in the water more like a 5mm.

2) Check out www.bayareakiteboarding.com for local knowledge and input. The Bay area kiteboarders are some of the nicest, most welcoming people I have met in my travels.

3) A great area to kite as a new kiter is "3rd Ave". It is out just past the airport if you are headed South towards Google and Yahoo. Take the 3rd ave exit and turn East towards the Bay. Follow the road around and past the golf center on the left. Pull into the road just after the golf center and park in the parking lot. You'll need to suit up and pump up there in the parking lot and then walk the kite up wind to the launch. Be careful on the launch as it is clay on low tide and can be slippery with large rocks around. Once on the water work hard to stay up wind but if you get blown down wind there are 3 beaches to get out on, though try to get into the 1st so people can help you with your kite.

4) If you are up for it drive to Sherman Island and talk to the local kite school (look for the large trailer in the parking lot). They take all their lessons way up wind by boat in order to teach away from the chaos of Sherman. For $20 they will let you hop in to do a big downwinder. I would guess you're looking at 4-5km of downwind time, plenty of time to work on all kinds of skills! (Watch out for the massive sturgeon in the river! god they are gross looking).

Hope this helps! John Z
eric

Post by eric »

Thanks a bunch John see you at cook.