Formula board for fun in light winds?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
tangleweb

Formula board for fun in light winds?

Post by tangleweb »

Wondered if anyone had any comments on getting a Formula-type board and a big sail (8.0-11.0) not for racing, but for having some fun on those low-wind days...
Geoffy

Formula + Sidney = Wonderful

Post by Geoffy »

They are wonderful - sail size depends on weight/height/experience, I am 150 lbs (or less), 5-10. 11.0 is too much sail - never fun, 8.0 too small, love the 9.5. If I can use the 8.0 then I can have more fun on a 106 l JP SuperX and 7.5 sail. Fin - I almost never use the longer fins at my weight, the bigger ones pick me up and back flip me right off the rail, with corresponding nose damage as the sail whips around. Bazan Bay in Sidney is the best location I have found, nice SE winds and blasting across to Sidney Island, Satellite Channel second best (between North Saanich and Saltspring Is.) I'll sell my 11 real cheap to a good home as I don't use it.
We windsurf - life must be good!
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Formula fun

Post by Bobson »

I would suggest getting a larger freeride board for having fun in light winds. Formula boards get planing really early but are alot of work to rig, pack and sail and if the wind picks up they are alot of work to handle where as a large freeride board are easier to handle when the wind picks up and easier to pack around with you.

With a large freeride board and 8-9m sail you'll only be losing 2-3 kts earlier planing but will be able to handle things if the wind picks up. also the Formula really works best if you're pumping to get onto the plane with all the surface area you really need to be pumping to get onto a plane in really light winds. Formula boards are also made for going straight up and down wind and have a very small window of use for B and Fíng.

So my 2 cents are get a larger freeride board 80cms wide and an 8-9m sail and a large freeride fin 50cms+ if you're looking for cruizing in light winds.
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

I have recently begun riding a Roberts 32 - kind of "pre-formula" size, with a 9.0 m Severne NCX no cam sail. I love the challenge of it.

I agree with Bobson - wide boards are twitchy, and a bit of a workout - but I really like that about the experience.

If you want a forgiving hands free ride - go large free ride. If you want a "racing" experience, adrenalin, heart in your mouth, challenge - get the race car.

It is all good.
KC7777

Rig

Post by KC7777 »

Hi,

Check out Gman's previous for sale post (not sure if it is still there?).

He is selling an 8.5M Ezzy (2005), 490 skinny mast, Chinook carbon boom with lines and JP FreeRace 142L (2005) with nice Dakine bag and 50 cm fin.

This is the exact same light wind set-up I use at Harrison, and it is in mint condition.

I tried Formula gear b4 and it is a pain as it always want to go up/down wind. Plus it is usually pretty fragile. This rig rips in pretty light wind to OP'd winds and is very easy/fun to ride.

If you want his phone # lemme know.

KC
KC7777

Post by KC7777 »

Tangleweb,

Here is G-man on the light wind set-up I was describing....notice no whitecaps anywhere (this is at the Nat on a low wind day).

I'll PM you his cell#.

KC
Attachments
normal_IMG_1508.jpg
normal_IMG_1508.jpg (70.04 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

KC7777 wrote:Tangleweb,

....notice no whitecaps anywhere (this is at the Nat on a low wind day).
KC
What are those white-ish wave tops in the pic then KC??? :lol: :lol: :wink: But yah, looks like 8-10 knots pretty impressive to plane in that.

I think Bobson's advice is pretty sound - steer clear of the Formula stuff if you just want to blast in lighter wind and not have to bubble-wrap your board to move it anywhere. Freeride stuff is fragile enough.

The other choice to think about is a longboard (Kona One or 11.5, or RRD Longrider), they are much more fun to cruise in even lighter wind, but won't plane up quite as early as the big freerides. They are still fun to sail in planing wind (unlike the old longboards) and are the most versatile of all boards.
KC7777

Kona vs freeride

Post by KC7777 »

Mf4,

Those white things are not really caps...more like riplets.

That JP FreeRace 142L does go pretty good in almost no wind. I have a 54 cm powerbox fin for mine which really helps it get going in light wind.

A Kona also a good option for all winds. Sadly, I am still a Kona virgin myself, even though I have had a 2007 Kona One in my garage since last September!!. I should either sell it or sell my JP FreeRace as there is too much overlap there. I took the Kona (and a 7.5) to Nitinat on the long weekend (Sun - Tues) but it was too windy and the Kona stayed on the top of the truck. I was small board and 5.0 most of the time.

I gues I gotta try the Kona on the next Harrison Day (maybe tomorrow) and see how it rips with a 7.5M in 15 - 18.

Or someone take the thing off my hands for $899? (no fins, no footstraps, bag included).
Attachments
P7070002.jpg
P7070002.jpg (59.01 KiB) Viewed 1259 times