Gorge or Nitinat this weekend?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Gorge or Nitinat this weekend?

Post by winddoctor »

Hey windboard sailerz,

We've got some decent high pressure now but NE winds are forecasted for the next few days. Think this may kill the breeze at Nitinat for the weekend? Anyone think that the Gorge may be a good bet for Friday through Sunday? I noticed that the Gorge will be reaching temps in the high twenties as well. I'm hoping that the pressure gradients won't be too flat.

BTW, I sailed Nitinat last Friday on a 5.8 + freestyle board, skunked on Saturday, 5.8 again on Sunday (gusty but fun for a couple of hours before dying). I know, I know, shoulda been at Gordon's or JR. Damn. Oh well, I dialled in my upwind 360s finally
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Hey winddoc:

Check out the pressure model. The gradients look like they are hopefully setting up for westerly flow from Sat or Sunday onwards. So Nitinat or Gordy's once the heat wave ends. I've got Monday off so I'm thinking Nitinat...

Cool about the upwind 360's - are those planing and in the straps??

dave
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

why not sail Piper's in the mornings, then if you got the energy, swing into Nitinat for the afternoon session?

prob some northwest hittin' longbeach too
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Thanks BWD and iserf,

Guess I'll watch the pressure model then. I suck at forecasting. That's why it's great to have you guys around for input! May still head down to the Gorge if Nitinat looks iffy.

Yep, the 360's are in the straps, planing. Been half ass trying them for a season . Not sure why they just clicked now!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hi all,

Sounds like Nitinat went off this past weekend! Hope you guys were on it! I went down to the Gorge to pick up my new board and scored one day (Sunday) of 4.5 sailing at Doug's with only about five other sailors. Super fun session with varying swell and wind quality. Also sailed a slightly lacklustre 5.8 day (Saturday) at the Hatchery. The water was warm with air temps in the mid to high 30's. Got skunked on Friday, although Stevenson was windy in the a.m. before we arrived. Gonna head down again in August for 10 days.

Anyone sail Gordon's this eve?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

winddoctor wrote:Hi all,

Sounds like Nitinat went off this past weekend!
Yeah, Nitinat was good 4.5/5.0 on Sat, 5.2 Sunday and today it was a solid super windy 4.5 with only about 8 people on the water. Saturday was warm enough for a 3/2 or shorty but Sun and Mon were a little cooler. According to Randy's thermometer the water temp is 18.5 deg.

The report from Jack at Gordons was that no one sailed tonight. From the cam pictures it looked like it came up from glass calm at 4pm to sailable 5.0 at 4:30! Maybe tomorrow aft out there?

How's da new Quatro?

dave
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

bigwavedave wrote:The report from Jack at Gordons was that no one sailed tonight. From the cam pictures it looked like it came up from glass calm at 4pm to sailable 5.0 at 4:30! Maybe tomorrow aft out there?
How's da new Quatro?
dave
yo dave,

i think the wind got good more like 6:30 _ 7:00_ish

i woulda gone down, but i was watching a lame hockey game

today is lookin backwards , clouds clearing in west , remaining cloudy in east

glad to hear somebody got to sail over the weekend

nothing much around here except big_gear stuff at JR late evening sessions