What to do with old sails?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
saulman

What to do with old sails?

Post by saulman »

Has anyone come up with any ideas for keeping their old pin top sails out of the landfill? -leaving them in the corner of the basement is no longer an option.

I've got a 4.2 wave sail a 6.0 all round sail and a 7.5 race sail thats mostly mylar.

Is anyone able to use these as they are?

Other ideas?

S.
colin

Post by colin »

Thrifty Foods has put them up in the produce section of their Fairfield store....
kite+waves=!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

The mylar small ones I suspect can be re-sewn into kiddie rigs or kayak sails to receive a new lease on life.

If they are post '93 they would make okay beginner rigs or dryland sailing/ skateboard sails?

The larger ones really do make a cool colorful van awning or a great addition to a playground, a shade you can suspend from trees over your kid's sandbox or a beach/bbq windbreak with some brilliant use of old fibreglass tent poles or PVC pipe.

Yes, I have seen them suspended in bars, maybe the rooftop beach volleyball court at the Stickey Wicket can use one to give things some color :?:
JL

Post by JL »

Hammocks 8)
Thermals are good.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Kite-rigging tarps! :twisted:

Ouch.
Poultry in motion
duckbill

old sails

Post by duckbill »

get a bunch of them some old downhaul lines sow it all together and make a parachute. good for cliff jumping. OR you could make the wings for a homemade ultralight, isn't that what John Denver did?
like a duck to water