Custom kiteboard

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Tactile

Custom kiteboard

Post by Tactile »

After a few years off the board building scene (going to school at UBC), I finally had some time in my shop, in Victoria. I was pleased to find that all the tools and templates were there, ready to be used. My old 2005 board was still going strong (white one in the 'Custom Kiteboards 2005' album), but I find it to be a little to small with my new kites. Remember the old days of huge kites and small boards? Well now it seems smaller kites and bigger boards is the right combo.

Here's the pics: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/thumb ... ?album=530

A few details of the build for those interested:
PVC foam core
Glued on black ABS plastic edges
Snowboard inserts...didn't bother with the handle inserts this time...not really sure why
Shaped and tapered the core to size
One shot vacuum bagged - 4oz (0/90), bamboo veneer, 10oz uni, 9oz biax (+45/-45) on both sides

Final dimensions are 134.5cm x 40.5 cm, 5mm concave on the bottom, 3.2cm rocker and it comes in at 2.9kg fully loaded. (The veneer ads ~0.4kg and mostly just looks good). Tried it out at Squamish yesterday, loved it! Just thought I would share. Comments and questions are welcome.
zen Flier

Post by zen Flier »

I would like to make my own board I have a great shop on salt spring Island. I did make a wooden board but it was far too heavy when finished. Where did you get the foam core? That sounds like the way to go, But then I guess you need to have a vacume press? Thanks Geoff