Kiting for the summer!

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Adi

Kiting for the summer!

Post by Adi »

Hi i'm looking to move to Lake Nitinat and kiteboard for the summer. I was wondering if there was any public transportation going out there? I cant seem to find anyway out there. I'm also looking for a place to stay, camping for a month and a half is a little ghetto=). If anyone has suggestions could you please help me out!

Thanks,
-Adi
JL

Post by JL »

8) Hang out @ the store in the village. Maybe you can hook up with a local!
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

summer job?

Post by KUS »

Adi- not sure where you are coming from but the West Coast Express I believe runs from Victoria to Nitinat and Bamfield and Port Renfrew. Not sure in which order. The motel at the store is quite ok, could see a tarp and sleeping bag be a bit rough after a while but enough street people seem to manage, not sure how your coinage is. Without a vehicle how would you get your food....eh, have you ever even been there dude?? :shock: But hey, there's a $200 dodge van for sale at Goldstream Hwy 1 near the ice cream mountain place, maybe that would be a better home with the nearby creek as shower/bath and you can lock up your gear. BTW you can only stay at Nitinat for 2 weeks before you have to leave for I believe a week.....
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
kitesurferdale

where to stay

Post by kitesurferdale »

HAH, JL nasty!!, anyhow

Motel is expensive if you don't want to spend $1000s and there are no places within the village available to rent that I am aware of. As for the West Coast Trail Express, yes that does run however it does not come into nitinaht, rather it bypasses it at the lake Cowichan/Port Alberni turnoff by the big bridge,about 5km out of the village (that was as of last year anyway). Groceries are a little easier if you don't mind paying about 10% more than a regular grocery store as the village does have a little store with the basics. Some items are marked up more due to the difficulty of getting it out there (ie: milk/eggs/etc) So my suggestion is to buy a good tent, a tarp, a solid foamy or bedding of some sort for cushion, a propane stove and 40lb tank (to last a long time!) and have a good summer roughing it. I lived in the village for 5 years never really staying in the campground in the evenings, but this years as I am no longer a "local" I spent 5 days "roughing" it in the campground and totally enjoyed myself. I would myself seriously consider camping if I could afford to take all that time off as you meet a hell of a lot of good people. I would suggest buying yourself a semi reliable vehicle if it is within your budget as the road can be unforgiving at times and breaking down at night is NO fun. Anyhow, hope to see you there in the near future whatever your decision is and hope that you truly enjoy Nitinaht.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Adi

Post by Adi »

Thanks for the replys! No I've never been to Nitinat, i'm gonna be going there soon for my kiteboarding lessons. Ill be able to check out whats feesable. I wanna learn to kiteboard at nitinat this summer, I use to work/windsurf in puerto rico so I wanna be half decent at kiting when I go back down to the carribean this winter.

I hope the west coast express does go there then ill proablly do 2 weeks there, then crash at my friends in vancouver for a few days and go back!

Thanks for the info guys, and if you see a guy body dragging everywhere thats proablly me. :D
-Adi
Adi

Post by Adi »

By the way if anyone knows good places to kite with good constant coniditions which is a little closer to civilization than nitinat could you let me know!

Thanks,
-Adi
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

didnt you read the squamish vs victoria thread? theres 2 places anyway to get you going.
to learn fast though it would be hard to beat a solid couple weeks at nitinat.