Sailboat - Opinions? - Beneteau First 235

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
nanmoo

Sailboat - Opinions? - Beneteau First 235

Post by nanmoo »

http://www.thunderbirdmarine.com/boat-info.php?ID=3355

Anyone have any information, opinions, ideas to share? Checking her out tomorrow. Potential birthday present. Looking for something to use for long weekends to short weeks in the summer, probably moor in Nanaimo and spend time up as far as Desolation sound. Not planning on racing. Haven't sailed since I was a kid, but alike windsurfing, diving in head first!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

This boat looks a fair bit like a sailboat that my dad bought last year in Nanoose (Olsen 25). I'm just learning to sail it with him and it's been a lot of fun. I grew up with lasers and Hobies, but quit regular sailing when windsurfing arrived on the scene.

That boat should be a great introduction to shorter trips and day-sailing in mellower wind. I can't offer any technical knowledge, but the boat seems spec'd out nicely. I'm sure there are others on here who will be able to offer more help, but that looks like a great little boat!
Poultry in motion
JL

Post by JL »

Nice ... Plenty of accommodation & I'm a big fan of trailerable boats ... I got tired of paying to tie a sailboat up @ a marina & you can tow it home for maintenance ... Future prospects: Towing too different locations using it as a home as you travel . 8) http://www.beneteau235.com/ http://beneteau235.com/forum/
Last edited by JL on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I also grew up playing with the odd laser and hobie as well, but it's been a long time since then, and I didn't sail at all inbetween until I started windsurfing.

Anyone want to go halfers?!?! $19k is a bit more than I wanted to spend (was hoping <$10k), but it is much more modern that the majority of what is out there for sale, and probably well worth the sacrifice, so I think I will just have to sacrifice my motorcycle for the boat. Anyone want a 2006 VTX 1300C... <5000kms and clean as a whistle!!!???!!!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

yep, trailer is huge. nice layout, like the fact you can still be part of the dinner conversation while on the john :lol: moorage sucks hard tho but it seems $$ is not much of an issue for ya, right? or you need a place to park the trailer, got one?
Outboard & trailer saves on maintenance, that manufacturer makes decent boats from what I understand. Smaller = less of a hole in the water to throw your money into :roll: got time for it is the next question, boat ownership has always sounded romantic but can turn into a serious anchor :lol: (I kill me....) around yer neck....One less windsurfer on the water :idea: one more fat drunk guy behind the tiller :D that'll be me in the few more years (months?) :oops:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Moorage isn't so bad ($6/foot/month), epecially if I stick it on the trailer in the inlaws driveway for winter.

As far as time, I think it would be nice to have for those summer weekends where the wind isn't blowing locally, and I don't want to drive to Nitinat. Plus, there are so many places north of Nanaimo only accesble by water, that I have been lucky enough to visit, but that my other half has never had the chance to see (and probably won't unless we have a boat). Payments on a cheap-ish sailboat also isn't much different than a few nights in a hotel here and there over the summer while on vacation I suppose.

I am well aware of the money pit a boat can become, my folks have a 32' Tiara that is definately a labour of love and $$$. But in my naive opinion I figure this is much less of an issue since its a smaller boat, a sailboat and has outboard power. Not to mention no need to feed twin 454's to get anywhere!
JL

Post by JL »

Here is another interesting sailboat: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/10418528
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Nice, and a good price... but not the same for weekend trips and wayyyy less freeboard for those Vancouver Island circumnavigations I PLAN on doing!
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

Based on what you wrote, a weekend or weekly rental might be a better way to get yourself and the misses :wink: re-aquainted with those hard to see places, then re-evaluate anchorship
AC

:) if it is any use "

Post by AC »

otisdadog

Post by otisdadog »

I'd say buy it spending a bit more for a boat in good condition is worth it cause you can get immediate enjoyment out of it. It would suck spending less money on an older cheaper boat just to put a bunch of time and effort into it. That's just my opinion though
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

firstonlastoff wrote:Based on what you wrote, a weekend or weekly rental might be a better way to get yourself and the misses :wink: re-aquainted with those hard to see places, then re-evaluate anchorship
I thought about this, but a few rentals and I am in for pretty close to the cost of half the boat (may be going in half with a partner). The difference is here I have something to sell if it doesn't work out, and since the bulk of the depreciation on the boat has likely already occurred, I can't imagine I stand to lose very much. Certainly less then the cash outlay for a few rentals.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Put in an offer... we'll see what happens in a few days.

Any offers to teach me how to sail it? Otherwise I am just gonna head out and figure it out on the fly!
JL

Post by JL »

Good luck with your offer ... Fine looking yacht. 8)
Thermals are good.
Sandy Beach

yacht

Post by Sandy Beach »

along with Melody, the kids and I will be your guinea pig to sail the boat.
Where will you keep it...West Bay Marina?
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction