GPS....

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
xmyxlife

GPS....

Post by xmyxlife »

I'm looking into getting a waterproof GPS to strap to my rig and looking for any advice on what might be a good one to look into. Hopefully something with a few different settings, top speed, total distance, average speed. Anybody have a recommendation, or know a good place to start looking?
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Garmin Foretrex 401 for your wrist.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=30026

You will become bored with it after a while though. Apparently CANADIAN TIRE sells Garmin.
I wish my TOW was longer!
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I have found that GPS City has pretty well the best prices in Canada. Good service too. Remember to use the BWD link to GPS City before you order, so bigwavedave.ca gets a few bucks:
http://www.gpscity.ca?afcode=13JXW2JLL
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Here is the 401description. You have to hunt hard but it does say that it is waterproof.

http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-foretrex-401.html
Vik

Post by Vik »

I did the research and spoke with Garmin...the only GPS they have that is rated for use in the water is the Forerunner 310XT.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=27335

I bought one and have used it kiting. Works great and easy to setup and use. If you are in Victoria and want to check one out I can show it to you.

MEC/REI sells them along with all the online GPS shops.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

I have the garmin 310xt and I use it for running, biking, hiking and paddling. It is 100% waterproof and I like it a lot. I've only worn it a few times when windsurfing. As far as I know it doesn't display your max speed, only your current speed which is a pain. You have to save the track and then look at the history to see your max. It is versatile with the bike/wrist mount but it's an expensive GPS. See the thread here:
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=2158

It might be better to get the 401 and keep it in a ziploc if you want a GPS just for windsurfing. If you do lots of other sports then the 310xt is great.
Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I don't get it. Both the 301 and 401 specify the same waterproof spec:

Waterproof: Yes (IPX7)

I have a Garmin Foretex 201 and it is completely waterproof. Have used it windsurfing many times and have never had a problem. The 401 is the updated model for the 201 as far as I am aware. The 401 is in the same case as the 301 but it has the additional features of an altimeter, electronic compass, and data sharing. If it is like the 201 it also has a max speed indication.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

GPS

Post by Bobson »

I had a 201 and it showed max speed but also had an internal lithium battery that you could charge as opposed to aa or aaa batteries. I think the 301 and 401 use batteries. I believe the 310xt has the internal lithium battery with the AC charger.

My 201 was supposed to be completely waterproof to 3 meters depth. Although mine twice got water inside it and Garmin sent me a new one each time.

I would get the 310xt but not if it can't show max speeed and they don't sell the 201 anymore....they are discontinued. CRAP! :(
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

If you really want to see what you are doing, go one better than simple GPS and add inertial navigation to measure height of backloops, spin rate, angle of rotation on your spocks, etc etc. http://www.shadowboxlive.com/

Here's a cool vid of a contest at Pistol River this spring using them
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqLprU1Nzvo[/youtube]

Their intro screen uses windsurfing in addition to snowboarding to illustrate the machine - pretty cool for $500, but acc'd to the website they are sold out and you have to get on a wait list for one - be the first kid on the BWD block!

This really would be cool for freestyler windsurfers and kiters! Precisely measure your jump height and hang time.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I have the foretrex as well, bought it off KC777's (but there were no stickers on it, what gives?), I mostly use it for my sailboat, but it's handy, battery lasts awhile and it is easy to use.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

The IPX7 rating for the Foretrex 301 and 401 is "protected against water immersion. Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter. ". Both the 301 and 401 have the same level of protection according to the Garmin website.

The altimeter in the 401 might be useful on skiing days in the winter.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

The IPX7 rating is for a static immersion for 30min at a depth of 1m. Wearing the GPS unit while windsurfing would not be static and there would be a lot more pressure on the unit during a fall or when moving your arm through the water. I'm guessing that's why Garmin states that the 310xt is their only truly waterproof unit since it's designed for immersion up to 50m and it is designed for swimming and the extra impacts of diving your hand into the water. It doesn't mean that the other units will fail, but they are likely not designed with windsurfing in mind, that's why a dry bag wouldn't be a bad idea.

So while the 310xt would be the best in the water, for the reasons above it is likely not the best for windsurfing. Also if you are spending that kind of money for a 310xt, as MF4 mentioned, a shadowbox is not that much extra. The only real reason for a 310xt would be to use it for other sports. The 301/401 make more sense, but I would still be careful of using them without extra protection. Garmin will likely replace the unit but it is still a pain, although MEC is good about replacements.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

Thanks for the advice all! Looks like i'll go with the 401 and work out a bit of extra waterproofing. The 310xt looks sweet but i have bigger plans for the extra 150 bucks! Like 15 pints of beer at the WM2 premier 8)