My Hands Hurt...

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Gdawg
Contributor
Contributor

My Hands Hurt...

Post by Gdawg »

after sailing in cold water. The cold water is nothing new to me - I'm used to the acute pain that you get when you first thaw your hands after their initial freeze and then you're good to go for the rest of the sesh. But within the past couple of years, I've started noticing on the drive home in the warm truck they start to ache. Then for the next 24-48 hrs they're really sore, especially the tips/fingernails. Kind of like what I'd imagine arthritis would be like. Probably no magic diagnosis here - presumably the additive effects of getting old, mutliple freeze-thaw cycles and other abuse which would be easily remedied by moving to Maui. Does anyone else experience these symptoms or is it just me?
Sandy Beach

aching figertips

Post by Sandy Beach »

<a href="/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon" target="_blank">may be a mild case of Raynaud's syndrome</a>
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Ditto for me, lasts acutely for a few days, then only lateral pain when bending fingers inward. I worked, usually without gloves, in the ski industry for many years tho, suspect it is catching up as is everything else. When I can't wipe my ass I will reassess :lol: I crack me up :lol: oohoo, another one :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by KUS on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

If you get frostbite-like white spots on your fingers where circulation is cut off, that is Reynauds. I had this hit me in august at nitinat lake.. freaked me out a bit so i read up on it. has not showed up since.
If you are describing a more general soreness that is probably not reynauds. Winter sailing is tough as you get the extra forearm fatigue from wetsuit/ gloves, combined with the nature of the sailing (death grip, unhooked wave riding) and infrequent sessions (for some!). I think of the post-sail soreness as something to remind me of a wicked session. :twisted: Something like training/stretching might help but i dont know anything about that. :lol:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I read a bunch on this topic recently as well, and it seems that both the anecdotal and medical consensus is that constantly near-freezing your hands then thawing them will ultimately result in arthritis and should be avoided with appropriate handwear.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
voodmon

cold hands

Post by voodmon »

take cayenne pepper capsules or just straight cayenne pepper it stimulates peripheal circulation.
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

orally or topically? i have some old bear sprays i can try out..
voodmon

Post by voodmon »

orally with food
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

sublingually :lol:
My other hobby is channel surfing
heffe222

cold hands

Post by heffe222 »

Cold hand onset can be postponed or minimized by keeping the body core temperature high. If your body can generate enough heat during sailing and your can keep it from being stripped off by the wind and water, then the hands will get the warm blood supply they need. A suit that is too tight on the arms though will obstruct this circulation. Some small hot packs stuffed into your armpit area under your suit will help alot here, if there is room available. Capital Iron sells some reusable chemical hot packs that can be recharged by putting them in boiling water for a few minutes.

Maui in winter still looks like a good alternative! :wink:
nanmoo

Re: cold hands

Post by nanmoo »

heffe222 wrote:Maui in winter still looks like a good alternative!
Best solution to cold hands yet!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Gdawg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gdawg »

Suspicion confirmed. My fingers/hands unequivocally did not hurt after sailing in Maui last week. As a result, I will now be moving, seeking medical refugee status in the US. I would suggest that all who are similarly afflicted try this form of therapy.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: cold hands

Post by KUS »

heffe222 wrote:Some small hot packs stuffed into your armpit area under your suit will help alot here, if there is room available. Capital Iron sells some reusable chemical hot packs that can be recharged by putting them in boiling water for a few minutes.
awh c'mon, the hot packs attached to your armpits with Gorilla tape sound like a much cheaper alternative :idea: besides, would you not miss voting for any one of Canada's excellently qualified and trustworthy political candidates every 18 months?? :?:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

If I was going to stuff hot packs under my wetsuit I would put them where they would do more good. Like somehwere else below the waist to enhance my appearance.