Fines for SUPing with no life jacket?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
morewind

Fines for SUPing with no life jacket?

Post by morewind »

I heard that SUPers are being fined in the inner harbour area for SUPing with no life jacket.

Anyone else heard this?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

I thought that you were okay if you have a leash since then the board is your pfd. A quick phone call to ocean river would tell you since they rent to people paddling there all the time.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
eastside

Post by eastside »

I do know if under 10 ft SUP or other watercraft under 10 ft you are exempt. Another example of an over regulated society I guess. edit Oops this exemption is only for a license in Oregon. Must have had my mind on Oregon trip.
Last edited by eastside on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC7777

SUPs

Post by KC7777 »

Hi,

Not sure of the PFD rule for SUPs, to me they are similar to surfboards and a lifejacket can get in the way or be dangerous if you are in waves. The leash should qualify.

Interestingly, was just at Canadian Tire in Chilliwack and they are now selling a SUP (they call it a stand-up kayak). Can anyone remember ever seeing a windsurfer for sale at a major retail store?

Keith
morewind

Post by morewind »

MEC web site says:

Unlike surfboards, SUPs are considered nautical vessels like kayaks or canoes. So, when you ride one in Canada, the Canadian Coast Guard requires that you have a PFD with you. You don't have to actually wear it, but it is to your benefit and safety if you do.

I think the original source of the information on the fines was Ocean River. I'll give them a call as BWD suggested. I've been passed by the Police boat at least once while paddling in the gorge waterway, and they just waved, so must depend on the mood of the officer.
JL

Post by JL »

A 5 meter heaving line & float may be req'd as well ... Yikes ... http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/de ... ed-192.htm But no pump !!! Windsurfers & kite boarders: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/de ... s-1609.htm
Thermals are good.
Vik

Post by Vik »

If I have to start carrying a PFD, rescue line, spare paddle, flare, VHF radio and survival suit to paddle a SUP in the harbour/Gorge I'm just going to give up... :roll:
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

my SUP has a mast track, therefore its obviously a sailboard and thus exempt.
saulman

Post by saulman »

Is a sailboard "officially" exempt?
JL

Post by JL »

The Netherlands http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15gOzrklU4Q have it right 8)
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

If this is true, it is even more ridiculous than ticketing for helmet-less bicycling. What ever happened to personal accountability for ones own safety?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
jim mckenzie

lifejacket

Post by jim mckenzie »

I was ticketed in Vancouver in the early 80's for windsurfing without a life-jacket. I had to promise the judge I would purchase and wear one in the future. There was no indication that anyone or anything was exempt.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

you are correct jim, my comment was in jest, there is no exemption for windsurfers but simply a lack of resources to carry out enforcement (or common sense application of the rule in a low risk group).

the latest regs; Sailboards and Kiteboards

http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Small%20 ... ations.pdf (48 page document 2008)

219. (1) If the operator of a sailboard or kiteboard is wearing a personal flotation device of an appropriate size, the sailboard or kiteboard is required to carry on board only the following safety equipment:

(a) a sound-signalling device; and

(b) a watertight flashlight, if the sailboard or kiteboard is operated after sunset or before sunrise or in periods of restricted visibility.

(2) A sailboard or kiteboard is not required to carry on board the safety equipment required by this Part if it is engaged in an official competition at which a safety craft is in attendance and carrying on board a personal flotation device or lifejacket of an appropriate size for the operator of the sailboard or kiteboard that can be donned in the water.

with regard to SUP's there is no mention of surfboards so that might be your best defense, i am just paddling a surfboard. having a whistle and a leash might help get you a pass. still curious what ocean river tells the renters, did anyone check?
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

When I bought my board last week from Ocean River the dude told me that pfd's were required and likley whistles and throw bags in the future. I think I am the reason morewind started this thread.

The Ocean River guy was not Coast Guard personnel. A very good chance that he was covering his/Ocean Rivers ass with the comment.

I am going with the surf board argument if it ever comes to it. That I don't really paddle anywhere that populated.
Give'R
superdave
Contributor
Contributor

Post by superdave »

I've been warned by the Harbour Patrol in the inner harbour in the past. I now paddle with a fanny pack life jacket (try MEC or Ocean River) and don't get warned any longer, but have often been checked. I've also paddled with a standard life jacket on the deck of the board with no leash with no problems.